Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Loud pipes save lives
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my tranny finally bit the dust. Driving home last night the torque converter slipped i think. Hit the throttle and the engine just reved then engaged after a couple tries and that was at 70mph. Then at a stop light it locked up and bogged the engine and stalled.
So im guessing my torque converter or maybe pump is toasted. Any thoughts before i start dumping money i dont have.
Its a stock E4OD that has kind of had a hard life. Hottest was 180* and highest launches were 15lbs consistent around 10-13lbs, power braking burnouts.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
You can test converter stall by applying the brakes and giving it throttle. Look at where the truck starts to really try to move and thats your stall speed.

If the converter clutch was slipping you would get a code for that when it saw engine RPM and input shaft speed more than 50rpm apart.

If the stator sprag was blown up, the truck won't move.

So... Not the converter.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm not all that knowledgeable about trans stuff, but wouldn't the TC locking at a stop be related to a solenoid pack, or something electrical, in which case you should have gotten a code for that too.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Usually the torque converter locking at a stop is caused by low fluid, a loose/missing internal filter, leaking internal seals, or a worn pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts