Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out my issue so I can get parts on order. Driving along the torque converter will lock and use to pull hard while locked. Now if I have it locked and roll into it, it'll unlock. To me it seems like its time for a new converter. What else might cause the issue?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
The first step is ALWAYS to read the codes.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
Depending on how fast you roll into it, that could be causing the unlock. There is a parameter in the software that looks at rate of change of the go pedal. If you move it fast enough the converter will unlock. And it doesn't have to be really fast to do it.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Indeed, it's called kickdown.

Are you sure it's not slipping instead of unlocking?

If it is unlocking then it's either a solenoid issue are an internal leak at the seal. Or a control issue, like tcm or something. I'm not much of a transmission guy, but I have seen a ton of Escapes with cracked converters or blown seals, or bad pumps. Those had much different symptoms than this though.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
Indeed, it's called kickdown.
No, not kickdown. Kickdown is when the go pedal is all the way on the floor and the transmission downshifts. This is rate of change converter unlock.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I see, what's a rate of change down shift called? One where it's simply decel, but no throttle involved? Is it simply called a rate of change downshift?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
No, that would be a coasting downshift. There is no rate of change downshift. There is a rate of (throttle position) change torque converter unlock. This unlock is related to how fast the accelerator pedal is moving. If it moves slowly the converter stays locked. If it is moving quickly the converter unlocks.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
No, that would be a coasting downshift. There is no rate of change downshift. There is a rate of (throttle position) change torque converter unlock. This unlock is related to how fast the accelerator pedal is moving. If it moves slowly the converter stays locked. If it is moving quickly the converter unlocks.
Cool stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts