Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can add a relay powered by the brake light circuit and have its contact (NC contact) open the added switched wire. This would open the switch wire when the brakes are applied and the brake light comes on for as long as you have your foot on the brakes.
You could, however the PCM already unlocks the torque converter whenever the brakes are pressed or you hit the manual switch on a trailer brake controller that is wired into the factory wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Id like to know if you can lock up the converter in 1st gear after you get going? Like 2500 rpm or so? It seems faster when the converter locks so i was just wondering if it would be beneficial for racing.
I'm pretty sure after first gear in WOT your converter is locked. I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows though because I'm considering this mod as well

·
Powerstroke Fanatic
179 Posts
Has anybody done this mod procedure that was posted on oilburners.net? He had 3 pdf documents written up with wiring diagrams that showed the 3 different ways of control. Straight manual control, auto/manual lock, auto/manual lock/manual unlocked.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
thats a good idea.... would it unlock with the switch bypassing it?
Thats the rub. The PCM would normally unlock the torque convertor but the switch would be putting a parallel ground on the control for the lockup, defeating the PCM and killing the engine coming to a full stop. You have to disconnect the switch ground also with the relay contact.

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
So could I just run the positive brake light wire to the lockup switch so it unlocks when I'm on them?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
You can add a relay powered by the brake light circuit and have its contact (NC contact) open the added switched wire. This would open the switch wire when the brakes are applied and the brake light comes on for as long as you have your foot on the brakes.
But this would lock the converter as soon as the brake was released. I have read these transmissions do not produce enough line pressure at low rpms to lock the converter and that the converter clutches will slip and burn.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Can you engage and disengage the TQ converter under WOT freely or should you let on-off of the throttle

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
Did the lock up switch today. It's great, can't wait to get it on the highway with a trailer and see how it does. Definately need some tunes, it's a dog to get up to speed. But once it's up to speed it rips!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i had a switch in my super duty. it was fun. i rarely used it though. hopefully the guy who stole it played with it in the hot tune and fried something!

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have a question... if the tc lock switch was engaged, would it be possible to push start a truck with an auto tranny if the starter happens to be dead, similar to push starting a truck with a manual tranny?

·
Justaworktruck
396 Posts
No one has mentioned this, would it work well with an exhaust brake? That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
All these people have put one on and no body has done a write up?? Come on guys no pictures or anything?

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
Here we go!

Look down here:

Find the PURPLE with the YELLOW tracer:

Run the wire from the wire-switch, switch-ground. Put mine here:

Easily reached right here:

Pretty simple, so i didnt run 20 feet of wire i followed the trans harness to the fenderwell. Found the right wire, used a lighter to burn off the insulation, soldered on the wire, siliconed it and taped it up. Then i poked a hole in the steering column boot and fed the wire in. Then hooked it to the switch's one terminal, then the other terminal to the ebrake pedal bracket. VIOLA! t/c lockup on command! :evil

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Awesome! Thank you

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here we go!

Look down here:

Find the PURPLE with the YELLOW tracer:

Run the wire from the wire-switch, switch-ground. Put mine here:

Easily reached right here:

Pretty simple, so i didnt run 20 feet of wire i followed the trans harness to the fenderwell. Found the right wire, used a lighter to burn off the insulation, soldered on the wire, siliconed it and taped it up. Then i poked a hole in the steering column boot and fed the wire in. Then hooked it to the switch's one terminal, then the other terminal to the ebrake pedal bracket. VIOLA! t/c lockup on command! :evil

Which year model truck do you have again?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts