Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea i'd like to know what happens with this mod...?
It locks up the torque converter when you want to. Ever notice when you are slowing down, and the engine stops engine braking when you hit the brake pedal? That is the torque converter unlocking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
alright so i tried this switch out on my 97 f250 got it all done, reconnected the batterys and went to go drive. i backed out put it in o/d and it was like the truck was in fourth and the converter was locked. i stopped at the stop sign and went to take off and i had to rev it up to about 1500 to 2000 to even get the truck move. so i took the switch out and just reconnected the purple and yellow wire and now it is doing the samething. so i have no idea what to do now. if anyone has any clue for me please let me know. thanks

Tom

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You need to disconnect the lock up switch when coming to a stop. It will be like a truck with a 5 speed and stopping without using the clutch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
when i was doing all of that the switch wasnt even on yet. right when i got in the truck it was already like it was locked up. so i tried to drive it anyways and got to about 35 to 40 mph andhit the switch and still nothing happened. by the way getting up to 35 to 40 mph the trans didnt shift at all. like i said it felt like it was fourth gear the whole time.

·
NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER
162 Posts
did you tie into the right wire under the cab? that wiring hareness going back to the trans has more than one purple wire with a yellow tracer on it. make sure to put it up on jack stands and be sure you have the right wire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah dont worry i fixed it. plus that was the only purple and yellow wire in the loom i tied into. and why would i need to put it on jack stands? whats that going to help?

·
Registered
183 Posts
so when is it ok to lock it up, when ur idiling in drive can u lock it up? or do u have to wait till u get to a certain speed or rpm? same for unlocking? if you do not unlock it how much damage does it cause

·
mroutlawoffroad
301 Posts
I lock mine up when the truck shifts out of first gear an unlock it when coming to a stop. Just try it, just remember to unlock it or it will bogg your engine down an kill it. Dont worry it wont hurt it I have done this to mess with people tell them you ran out of fuel. Truck seems faster with it locked to.

·
NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER
162 Posts
yeah dont worry i fixed it. plus that was the only purple and yellow wire in the loom i tied into. and why would i need to put it on jack stands? whats that going to help?
well for one thing it keeps ya from killin the motor while your trying to figure out which purple/yellow tracer to tie into.

·
Registered
153 Posts
To those who are confused as to whats going on here...

All you're doing to completing a "grounded" circuit manually, instead of waiting for the computer to do it.

scenario 1
If you were to just tap into the current wire, run it to a single pole, single throw (basic on/off) switch, and run that switch to ground..
You would be able to lock the torque converter whenever you wanted, but the computer would still be able to lock it when it wanted to as well.

scenario 2
If you were to cut the current wire, run the transmission side of it to a single pole, single throw (basic on/off) switch, and run that switch to ground..
You would be able to lock the torque converter whenever you wanted, and computer would have no say in the matter, and could never control it.

scenario 3
If you were to cut into the current wire, run it to a 3 position switch, and run that switch (2 outputs) back to the computer end of the wire, and the remaining pole to a ground...
You would be able to chose between either of the above scenarios. Where you could (a) let the computer do its job, (b) lock it up, or (c) keep it unlocked without allowing the computer to have any control.

That being said, most people want the first scenario.

Also, @josh_mangan, If you want to shrink wrap it (recommended), simply cut the stock wire, then solder/shrink wrap both cut ends and your new wire all together. (scenario 1 above)

·
Registered
389 Posts
does the truck shift any harder with it locked? does it shift down as the truck slows (locked), and you just unlock it when you stop/lock it once you are moving again? If you turn the switch to "off" will the TC just engage like it does stock? sorry for all the questions, i just wanna be sure before i try this mod.

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
the main reason i have my truck is for towing, is this a good idea or could it cause damage? i like the idea of a locked converter with lower trans temps (seen my buddy smoke his e4od because a wire broke and the converter wouldn't lock).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Id like to know if you can lock up the converter in 1st gear after you get going? Like 2500 rpm or so? It seems faster when the converter locks so i was just wondering if it would be beneficial for racing.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
You need to disconnect the lock up switch when coming to a stop. It will be like a truck with a 5 speed and stopping without using the clutch.
You can add a relay powered by the brake light circuit and have its contact (NC contact) open the added switched wire. This would open the switch wire when the brakes are applied and the brake light comes on for as long as you have your foot on the brakes.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts