Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, First off, I have a late 08 F250 4x4 80k Auto with H&S XRT PRO, DPF Delete and EGR blocking plates. Truck has all ways ran great and shifted without any issue. Truck is very very powerful with these few mods. The other day I was going to drive the truck to church and was the first time the truck has been ran in over a week and a half. Drove the truck like normal and everything was shifting and running fine. Went to pull a hill that it typically climbs in OD and lugs right up it with no trouble and no down shift. About mid way up the hill my rpm raised to about 2200 like I had broke traction and was spinning on the wet pavement. Let off of it and got back into it and the same thing occurred but this time I realized that it wasn't because of a lack of traction. Seems that my TC wasn't locking like it was suppose to. Automatically looked at the trans temp and seen that it was normal and not hot. Checked under the truck to make sure fluid wasn't leaking out. So on my way home I found that the truck shifts like its suppose to but will not stay locked into OD. Mid way home shutdown the truck, Uploaded another file from the tuner and no difference was made. The codes that I have found on the scanner are p0741, p1744 and p008c which are clutch solenoid circuit performance, and torque converter clutch performance/stuck on. The 008 one is a fuel cooler i think.
I'm going to pull the pan this pm and find out what the fluid looks like and the magnate in the drain plug. If i do not find anything strange in the pan then whats the case of just a solenoid going bad or just stuck?
My main question is, What steps do i need to take to trouble shoot this issue. I have found several good threads but seems that everyone is very breif and does not go into detail about the issue and where to find parts and how to trouble shoot it.
Please post links and Videos here and then this thread might possibly help someone in the future who has this same issues.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
measure resistance of TCC solenoid. If its out of spec, replace it. If possible, ohm wiring for solenoid also. If everything checks out OK, then you may have a failing converter.

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'm Going to do a little research on the wiring and find out what pins I need to Ohm out, What should the resistance on that solenoid be? Should I pull the solenoid and check it or is there a point in the harness I can check it ?

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow yall have been about as helpful as a sister in law would be in this situation. HA never mind then, Forget i even asked. Ill fix this thing and give and update later.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Believe it or not this is not my full time job. If you'd like to pay me what I need to be earning I'll be at your beck and call. Since I haven't seen a red cent from you I'll stick to my job to make money and I'll answer your questions when and if I have time.

Even though you're probably not going to read this, someone else may.

A bad torque converter CANNOT set a P0741. Only an electrical issue can do that. Maybe you'll read this after replacing the torque converter and you still have the same problem. You either have a bad solenoid or damaged wire to the solenoid, or in VERY rare cases a bad computer.

Here is a picture that shows where the TCC is and what resistance it should have:

I don't have a wiring diagram to be able to give you the pinouts.

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark, Stopped at a friends local trans shop yesterday and talked to him, He helped explain some thing that could be going on. I went home directly afterwards to drop the pan and was very relieved that the drain plug was clean and there was little to no clutch materal or meatel in the pan. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. What I think I am going to do is upgrade to the gogo Direct Drive and a new TTC solenoid and see what happens. What is yall opinion on changing out or upgrading the EPC/PC-A solenoid, Is there an upgraded one for this as well and will I see an emprovement at all with that solenoid?
Also where is the best place to buy these transmission parts at?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I don't understand why anyone purchases "upgraded" solenoids. What is upgraded? What does the "upgraded" solenoid do better than the stock solenoid?

It doesn't make it shift faster. On two of the shifts, such as the 3-5, if the new solenoid makes it shift faster (and that's what the ads say it will do) then you're going to break parts. The 3-5 shift involves releasing the intermediate clutch (controlled by the intermediate solenoid) and applying the direct clutch (controlled by the direct solenoid.) if the direct applies the clutch faster than it does stock it will apply before the intermediate releases. This causes a tie up. A tie up is when all parts of the planetary gearset are held to the case. That will cause the rear wheels sto STOP RIGHT NOW. It doesn't matter what speed you're at, the wheels STOP RIGHT NOW. That's really fun if you're doing a max speed 3-5 shift and the wheels STOP in the middle of the shift. If you don't crash you can expect to replace broken parts.

In the best case the adaptive software will reduce the commanded pressure before parts break. This means with the "upgraded" solenoid the shift will be exactly like it was before the "upgrade." The only difference would be the extra stress and wear on the trans until the software gets it to shift right again.

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point. Never really herd of anyone explaining the "upgraded" sloenoid like that. Makes sence though. But why does everyone on here recommend them and claim to have such better shifts from them???
Here's another question. What about turning up the line pressure via the A-PCA solenoid??? Is there a upgrade you would recommend to keep the TC front not engaging again?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
Good point. Never really herd of anyone explaining the "upgraded" sloenoid like that. Makes sence though. But why does everyone on here recommend them and claim to have such better shifts from them???
I've wondered that myself. Maybe someone can explain that to us.
Here's another question. What about turning up the line pressure via the A-PCA solenoid???
That's the same thing that I just explained above. I don't want to type that all again. Go back up and read it again.

Is there a upgrade you would recommend to keep the TC front not engaging again?
I don't understand this question.

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha I don't either. Let me rephrase that last one. What upgrade would your recommend to keep that ttc solenoid from doing this again. Is there any upgrade that would be worth the time or money?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I don't know of any upgrades. Before upgrading something to fix this, I suggest finding out what failed first. Then we can figure out how to prevent it. If the problem is a damaged wire a new solenoid isn't going to help.

·
Etaylor0056
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Up date: So after pulling the trans pan and finding very little clutch material and fluid looking somewhat clean I knew that there couldn't be very much wrong with my 5r110w. After a little more research I continued to test out each solenoid like shown in some of the videos linked above. All of the solenoids tested out like within spec. So out of frustration I proceeded to order a GOGO shift solenoid form Performance Truck Parts and a Coast Clutch Solenoid from my local Ford Dealer. After buying fluid, Filter, Gasket and Solenoids and installing them I backed it out of my shop and hoped for the best. After getting it out on the road and up to speed it shifted like a dream "Thank you dear lord Jesus".
You can definitely feel that the upgraded shift solenoid is in there and really does help in the firm shifting Dept. I have been really impressed. I not completely fore sure what exactly was wrong with my truck but now know that I have two new shift solenoids, fluid and filter and hopefully will not have to worry about the trans for quite some time now. I hope that this can help someone down the road who may be having similar issues with there truck. Total parts to fix was around 400$ and I'll take some off of that for the fluid and filter since it was time for a service anyways. :ford:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Believe it or not this is not my full time job. If you'd like to pay me what I need to be earning I'll be at your beck and call. Since I haven't seen a red cent from you I'll stick to my job to make money and I'll answer your questions when and if I have time.

Even though you're probably not going to read this, someone else may.

A bad torque converter CANNOT set a P0741. Only an electrical issue can do that. Maybe you'll read this after replacing the torque converter and you still have the same problem. You either have a bad solenoid or damaged wire to the solenoid, or in VERY rare cases a bad computer.

Here is a picture that shows where the TCC is and what resistance it should have:

I don't have a wiring diagram to be able to give you the pinouts.
Hi Mark,

It looks like it is good news to have a P0741 compared to the alternative. I have an 08 F350. Mine threw P0741 and P1744 yesterday. I experienced some loss of power, it lit the wrench symbol, and got it home after a few miles. Maybe I should have shut it down on the spot.

The only question I have is the buzzing sound coming out of it when parked and the engine is idling. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the torque converter area when I crawl under the truck.

Any ideas?

I signed up because you sound like you have extensive experience... knowing P0741 can only be thrown by an electrical issue.

This looks like a good forum.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I don't know what would be buzzing inside a torque converter.

To fix this you will need to first fix the electrical circuit to, and including the torque converter control solenoid (TCC.)

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
It can be hydraulic, mechanical, or electrical. In your case it is caused by whatever caused the P0741 code.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts