Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
61 - 80 of 354 Posts

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
or was that with the missing ")" ? i typo'd and jschildm caught it :)
If you type in an equation into Torque's Extended PID editor and an opening pran doesn't have a matching closing pran... the editor catches that and won't let you save it until that is corrected... That's how I caught it in mine (it told me). LOL

Hey- I found my old iGo Stowaway BT Keyboard. Surprisingly, it works great with my Android phone. It was originally made for old Win Mobile 2003 phones. I think I bought it over 9 years ago. It now has a second life.

EDIT--
"TFTv" <-- Never mind. I see that added into your last list now... (Embarrassed.)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I am trying to make a video of the android searching DTC, buzz test, etc
first attempt sucks but here it is.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Please check to see if you are getting any data from BARO... Then check the Settings > General settings > Boost Calc Method... and see what you have selected there.

I found that if you are not getting data from Baro and it isn't substituting a value for that, then things ended up on the negative side. I'm still trying to work that out on mine... But have to wait for that "on mine."
Ok ill give it a try tomorrow. I did have to add a ( because it wouldnt let me save it. Im new to this app but im impressed with what it can do. Thank you guys for working so hard to make it work on our obs psd.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
post a screenie of what you have working so far :)

·
Officially Addicted
103 Posts
I forgot my bluetooth OBD adapter in the car my wife took to the barn today, so I wasn't able to test the stuff today. I might be able to get out there tomorrow and try it. Worst case should be Friday with an update.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I tried that boost equation today but it just stayed at -2 psi the whole time.

possible solution directly from the Torque forum

For your boost problem try…
Boost
((((A*256)+B)*0.00109)-15.73)-([221127]*0.1)
Make sure you have already added the “Baro” pid
which uses 221127. Not sure if the *0.1 is needed.
If your boost reading is still reading near ~13.2 then
remove it.
This version of boost is using your trucks baro value.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ok ill give it a try. Thanks. What is baro btw?
barometric pressure from a sensor under the dash iirc?
you have to have this in Torque first by the sounds of it

Mode/PID: 221127
Long name: Baro1 OBS
Short name: Baro27
Min value: 0
Max value: 20
Scale: x1
Unit: psia
Equation: A*0.1
Header: C410F1
comments: 12/01/2014

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
Ok ill give it a try tomorrow. I did have to add a ( because it wouldnt let me save it. Im new to this app but im impressed with what it can do. Thank you guys for working so hard to make it work on our obs psd.
If you look at the format of the equations... (mathematical operands and how things are grouped together...) Let me give some examples showing how prams are logically laid out in these equations...

(A*256) Adding to that...

((A*256)+B) <-- This is the pran m j sometimes usually typo's and leaves out, when there is something that follows. So on with something else added...

(((A*256)+B)*0.00109) If the pran was missing between the B and 0.00109, then instead of it meaning 0.00109 times the result of B plus the result of A times 256... It would be mistakenly mean the result of A times 256 plus the result of B times 0.00109. I know That just lost many of you... but the important thing to recognize is that it comes out a lot different.

Reactions: SmokerIsMyRealName

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
More basic and easier to understand:

1 + 2 * 3, would see the multiplier as most important and to go first as 3 * 2 = 6, plus 1 = 7...

( 1 + 2 ) * 3 would see 1+2 first = 3, because of the pran's, times 3 = 9.

You think that after high school. that you'd never use that math again, right? Darn when that happens...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey guys, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been using Torque on my '97 for a few days now and it is working GREAT.

I'm surprised that you guys are having trouble with the boost gauge, since that one came right up and worked great on my truck. I just used the Ford specific Boost gauge that came in the expanded PID list and it works like a champ.

I did add the -BARO() to the end of the EBP formula to have it display in a value that was more easily compared to the boost value I am seeing.

Here is a Screenshot of my setup using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

I'm just using the el-cheapo Newegg adapter on mine, but it works great thus far. I've been logging my drives as well trying to pinpoint a low power issue I have intermittently.

One thing I would really like to see work on this is throttle position percentage. TPS Voltage would be fine as well as that could easily be converted to read in percentage, given that we know the operating range of the sensor already. I've tried the various different preloaded PIDs and nothing has worked so far. I haven't gotten BARO to work thus far either. I did scan my truck for the comms scan yesterday though so if you guys know of a developer that can make heads or tails of that data, let me know where to email it and I will gladly forward it along.

This is a great app! Easily the best $20 I have ever spent on this truck.

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
m j-- Just some things I saw... I added the missing prans, where it kept it logically correct. In the last two corrections, you could also just remove the leading pran instead and it would mean the same.
keep the feedback rolling plz and thank you for your input
Mode/PID: 221445
Long name: Exhaust Back Pressure 7.3
Short name: EBP
Max value: 75
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*0.03625)-6.6
Header: Auto
comments: 21/01/2014, There was a missing pran (red)

Mode/PID: 22114A
Long name: IATf OBS
Short name: IATf
Max value: 100
Unit: °F
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00370)+193.34
comments: 14/01/2014

Mode/PID: 221452
Long name: Boost OBS
Short name: Boost
Max value: 60
Unit: psi
Equation: ((((A*256)+B*0.00109)-15.73)-Baro()
comments: 12/01/14 seems to read psia

Long name: MAP frequency OBS
Short name: MAPf
Min value: 100
Max value: 256
Unit: Hz
Equation: ((A*256)+B)*0.00395

Long name: IAT volt OBS
Short name: IATv
Max value: 5
Unit: V
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/13168
comments: 14/01/2014

Long name: MAP OBS
Short name: MAP
Max value: 50
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*0.00109)-15.73

Long name: MAP kpa OBS
Short name: MAP
Max value: 1000
Unit: kpa
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*0.00752)-109.25

Mode/PID: 221127
Long name: Baro1 OBS
Short name: Baro27
Equation: A*0.1

Mode/PID: 221442
Long name: Baro2 OBS
Short name: Baro42
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/27.67985874
comments: 15/01/2014

Long name: Baro kpa OBS
Short name: Baro
Unit: kpa
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/4.01463133

Long name: Baro inH2O OBS
Short name: Baro
Unit: inH2O
Equation: (A*256)+B

Long name: IATc OBS
Short name: IATc
Min value: -10
Max value: 30
Unit: °C
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00174)+89.65)
comments: 15/01/2014, There was a missing pran (red)

Mode/PID: 2211BD
Long name: TFT V OBS
Short name: Trans V
Max value: 5
Unit: V
Equation: (((A*256)+B)/13168)
comments: 15/01/2014, There was a missing pran (red)

Long name: TFT f OBS
Short name: Trans
Max value: 230
Unit: °F
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00360)+212.98

Long name: TFT c OBS
Short name: Trans
Max value: 230
Unit: °C
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00189)+95.35

·
Registered
20 Posts
Torque was fun for about the first 5 miles. I was jumping on the freeway at about 3/4 throttle and the engine started missing and choking. I got off to the side and shut down quick. I had it connected via a bluetooth adapter which I promptly unplugged and all was well. I'm still not sure if it would be an issue if I set my PCM back to stock. I have a superchips 1705, not the best I know but it came with the truck. Works great on any of my gassers and my dad's 6.0. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
under the 'speech/alarm' settings deselect 'periodically scan for faults'
torque scan resets the pcm.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maybe I missed it in my initial reading through this thread, but is there a reason why the EBP, MAP and Boost readings that were in the extended PID pack for Ford won't work on your truck? The Boost, EBP and MAP readings that loaded by default work fine on my '97 but the PIDs that were constructed by the values listed here give some pretty wonky readings.

Ignore the TFT gauge, I put that on the screen to try it on another vehicle. The truck that was running the app at the time that picture was taken is a 5 speed truck (no TFT). It seems to me that the BARO42 value is pretty doggone close to what I should be seeing, so I think that one is close to being right, but since that screenshot was taken at idle and you can see the MAP reading (which is more or less what I should see for atmo pressure) I think it is still just slightly off. Either that or my BARO sensor is off...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, it appears as though I may have spoken prematurely. I built those PIDs with the list at the beginning of the thread and didn't realize that many of them had been updated further along the way. My apologies. I have updated the formulas and I'll try them again tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
^^^^^ BARO42 doesn't look out of the ordinary. Remember, 14.7 is considered "atmospheric" pressure right at sea level. At even 500 ft elevation, you can expect it to be about 5% less. If EBP is based on the "minus BARO" formula, that looks reasonable too.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Maybe I missed it in my initial reading through this thread, but is there a reason why the EBP, MAP and Boost readings that were in the extended PID pack for Ford won't work on your truck?
for starters the MAP gauge in the extended is looking for a Voltage signal from 0-5V which my 97 does not produce. as boost gauge and MAP sensor are one and the same that covers 2 of them. EBP does work and we are just tweaking it a bit

The Boost, EBP and MAP readings that loaded by default work fine on my '97 but the PIDs that were constructed by the values listed here give some pretty wonky readings.
I have no idea what you entered to get those wonky readings

you have a 1997 style MAP reading frequency counts at 110 (which is below 14.7psi) and a boost gauge that worked in Torque without the benefit of a guage to read that PID and without a formula to convert the freq count to a psi reading. curious how.

It seems to me that the BARO42 value is pretty doggone close to what I should be seeing, so I think that one is close to being right, but since that screenshot was taken at idle and you can see the MAP reading (which is more or less what I should see for atmo pressure) I think it is still just slightly off. Either that or my BARO sensor is off...
where does the MAP reading on the screen get its info? does it ever change?
is Torque looking at the sensor and recognizing it to be dead and pulling data from the device? I believe mine does that for Baro() but MAFo and plzstrokeme dont get that

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
If you look at the format of the equations... (mathematical operands and how things are grouped together...) Let me give some examples showing how prams are logically laid out in these equations...

(A*256) Adding to that...

((A*256)+B) <-- This is the pran m j sometimes usually typo's and leaves out, when there is something that follows. So on with something else added...

(((A*256)+B)*0.00109) If the pran was missing between the B and 0.00109, then instead of it meaning 0.00109 times the result of B plus the result of A times 256... It would be mistakenly mean the result of A times 256 plus the result of B times 0.00109. I know That just lost many of you... but the important thing to recognize is that it comes out a lot different.
just a guess on my part assuming the computer thinks in hexadecimal
(A*256) is the decimal equivalent of A*10, then you add +B which convert the 2 bits to a whole number we can use. so the (A*256)+B) is going to be pretty universal in these formula.

the reason for the continued error is that it is a copy/paste on a PID that has not had any changes. forum does not allow edits beyond 1/2hr.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Dropbox - Michaels 1997 Torque PID list alpha.xlsx

my exel file for PIDs
I tried to move them to alphabetical
there are a few on the left that are untested and not written in the format I am using yet
as a newbie to dropbox I dunno if I have to reload the file to the public list every save. gonna find out :)

61 - 80 of 354 Posts