Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 40 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Me... It WORKS (briefly). Then it does not.

Both will connect. But then AE drops the connect after a few minutes. On a reconnect, then the truck started missing. I think it was cross-talking and confused the PCM. I think for comparing data, would be fine breifly... But, after that experiene, I would not drive that way.
-Mike
When I tried running both the new custom pid's gauges would not work on torque and the power stroke pid's were not correct. My hpop and ICP were pegged all the way but AE worked correctly. I only tried it once and at an idle. I was hopping to compare data between torque and AE but it might not be possible with my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Me... It WORKS (briefly). Then it does not.

Both will connect. But then AE drops the connect after a few minutes. On a reconnect, then the truck started missing. I think it was cross-talking and confused the PCM. I think for comparing data, would be fine breifly... But, after that experiene, I would not drive that way.
-Mike
I just tried AE and a ScangaugeII on a Y-splitter this morning, six-mile drive, worked just fine :shrug:.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mj here is a snapshot of different pid readings on a cold truck.

IAT reading was with (((A*256)+B)*-0.00314)+193.93

IAT .93 reading was with
(((A*256)+B)*-0.00370)+193.93

IAT .5 reading was with
(((A*256)+B)*-0.00370)+218.5

My phone says it is 37 and a digital thermometer confirms it.

TFT volts was actually 4.38-4.39 and was after my truck sat for nine hours. I have a digital engine oil temp gauge and it reads 42 and torque showed 42.8. I would think my trans fluid would be the same temp by now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
updates. thanks Guys.

Mode/PID: 221445
Long name: Exhaust Back Pressure 7.3
Short name: EBP
Min value: 0
Max value: 75
Scale: x1
Unit: psia
Equation: (((A*256)+B*0.03625)-6.6
Header: Auto
comments: 12/01/2014

Mode/PID: 22114A
Long name: IATf OBS
Short name: IATf
Max value: 100
Unit: °F
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00370)+193.34
Header: C410F1
comments: 15/01/2014

Mode/PID: 221452
Long name: Boost OBS
Short name: Boost
Max value: 60
Unit: psi
Equation: ((((A*256)+B*0.00109)-15.73)-Baro()
comments: 12/01/14 seems to read psia

Long name: MAP frequency OBS
Short name: MAPf
Min value: 100
Max value: 256
Unit: Hz
Equation: ((A*256)+B)*0.00395

Long name: IAT volt OBS
Short name: IATv
Max value: 5
Unit: V
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/13168
comments: 14/01/2014

Long name: MAP OBS
Short name: MAP
Max value: 50
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*0.00109)-15.73

Long name: MAP kpa OBS
Short name: MAP
Max value: 1000
Unit: kpa
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*0.00752)-109.25

Mode/PID: 221127
Long name: Baro1 OBS
Short name: Baro27
Max value: 20
Equation: A*0.1

Mode/PID: 221442
Long name: Baro2 OBS
Short name: Baro42
Max value: 20
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/27.67985874

Long name: Baro kpa OBS
Short name: Baro
Unit: kpa
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/4.01463133

Long name: Baro inH2O OBS
Short name: Baro
Unit: inH2O
Equation: (A*256)+B

Long name: IATc OBS
Short name: IATc
Min value: -10
Max value: 30
Unit: °C
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00174)+89.65

Mode/PID: 2211BD
Long name: TFT V OBS
Short name: Trans V
Max value: 5
Unit: V
Equation: (((A*256)+B)/13168

Long name: TFT f OBS
Short name: Trans
Max value: 230
Unit: °F
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00360)+212.98

Long name: TFT c OBS
Short name: Trans
Max value: 230
Unit: °C
Equation: (((A*256)+B)*-0.00189)+95.35

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
I've hit a snag. mj knows the details... Preliminary estimates- $1500 parts stolen (including my BT/OBD2 adapter). $1000 tools stolen. $1000 worth of damage/vandalism.

And unfortunate to say... it had to be either another Ford PSD owner or stolen for one, for the parts to work right... 1 stolen of the items- OSB tuners only work on OSB's. Friend said I should put an add out "wanting" a tuner chip...

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
(I know this is off-topic, so will keep short...)

Me also. I'm going to stop off at the local pawn (know the owner) and tell him to keep an eye out for some of the distinct kind of items- 24" Channel-Lock brand pliers, 24" adjustable Crescent wrench 36" Mac breaker bar, 24" 1/2" drive Proto ratchet... I think those 4 tools are something not everyone uses, would be high dollar pawn items and should stick out like sore thumbs. I don't think the parts will show up as pawn items. This is a semi-rural kind of area. I mean I live in town, but it is a very small town surrounded by rural...

Funny thing is that it wasn't just the normal snatch and grab. This confused the police also. They took their time and they knew what they were looking for in the way of parts and they are specific to a vehicle. But they left my ACIM...

They were brave. There is a street light that shines right on it from across the street!

Waiting to see what the adjuster says. The claims person said because it is an older truck... that with replacement and repairs, that it might "total" the truck. I'm hoping not. I am very attached to that truck.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Ok can someone explain to me how this torque thing works? I'm not understanding all the numbers & what to do with them.

Also man I'd be pissed if someone totalled my truck. This is why I leave my truck unlocked cause maybe they won't destroy the outside just open the door & leave.

I know its not the greatest idea but is a 300 dollar phone worth a thousand in damages

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
you need an android device, a Bluetooth obd adapter, and the $5 app Torque Pro.
:eek:nce you have those you download the ford pid package which mostly consists or gauges that work for 6.0 .
to enter the gauges found in this thead , from the main menu Setting/Manage extra PID. add custom PID. then enterthe data found in these lists

i would get cargaugepro as well to do buzztest KOEO KOER scan and clear DTCs

·
Squeezing out Torque...
157 Posts
Ok can someone explain to me how this torque thing works? I'm not understanding all the numbers & what to do with them.
Just my perspective on this...

Torque Pro is an Android app that connects with a separate Bluetooth/OBD adapter to collect and display info from the (for us with Ford Owner's) Power Control Module (ECU). So it can display any info that the PCM "see's" in a GUI gauge display. In the app, you can select a vehicle profile linked to a dashboard kind of display, so that when it starts, it will go back to those settings. PID's are ways that it talks to the computer and translates it into a usuable gauge "control." (So we can read it and it be accurate.) It remembers what profile was selected/used last and will restart with that last profile. A dashboard, is the page that you setup with the GUI gauge (controls) that you link a style of guage, with a PID, that polls the PCM for specific data about a specific thing. It was originally written for OBDII controlled, basic gasoline vehicles and had basic PID defintions for the commonly accepted OBDII standards.

What this thread means to us, with Older Ford Diesels... was at first a challenge. Powerstrokes are not the normal vehicle. Ford uses it's own way of talking and translating info from it's computer. These Extended Ford PID's were first translated for the 6.0l powerstroke, by some 6.0l PSD owner's elsewhere on this forum and on the torque forum.

MJ and another person, translated most of the PID's for the 7.3l... and the early OSB 7.3l's... OSB's are different animals. They had different injector types, different sensors, an IDM instead of the FCIM... and the computers were not as smart and controlled less things (saw less info). Example, OBS'es, the PSM doesn't see the Coolant temp... that goes straight to a gauge for us. It is almost completely working for us. It is a real handy app. It is also easy to use.

Along side this, there are owners of other makes of cars (asian, european, etc.) that are developing the translations to their specific makes of cars.

I have a GPS mount from my window, leave my BT/OBD adapter plugged into my truck... and when I get into it, I mount and plug my phone into power, press the Torque Icon... and have my app configured to start in a dashboard. So when it starts, my truck has it's pages of gauges up. Want to look at a different page of gauges, I swipe the screen.

My cost of the whole setup was about $20. My mechanical gauges where $250 and are only 3 gauges... I have Autoenginuity, that will show visual data gauges, but was just under $400 (besides the laptop). So, yes, this is a low-cost alternative, that is very useful.

The diagnostics part of it (the OBDII scanner) will show ODB error codes, but not much else. You cannot do a buzz test with it. (But there is another android app that will... Car Gauge Pro) The gauges themselves are a diagnostic goldmine to show me what is going on when it happens.

It also has a data-logging feature, where you can capture the data, to track down things going on... And not have to watch it "when it happens" to see what is going on.

So yes, a low-cost solution that will provide you with some very power tools. IMHO, even if you just use it as GUI gauges, you can't beat the price. I picked up a phone for free, when a friend upgraded theirs. No service? No problem. Wireless updates when I am home.

The extended PID's that MJ and others are getting worked out, at the moment, have to be added/entered and saved in the Extended PID Editor manually. Once they are worked out and work, then mj could submit them to the author of the app, to be included in the Extended Ford PID file, so those particular items could just be selected from the list... and there would be no manual work required of new users. That is the goal, right?

On the other (off-topic)- The Adjuster just left. They are fixing my truck, including replacing my mechanical gauges, the PHP Hydra Chip and paying for my custom tunes. Big load off me. I was really stressing me out last night when the Claims clerk mentioned the possibility of being "Totaled!!!" Which brings to mind... How do I do "mods and upgrades" and insure that it's protected? I'm thinking on burglar alarms, booby traps, cutoff switches, a blank tune position and such... but Insurance-wise? Just something more for me to think about.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
An NRA sticker on the back window wouldn't hurt. Or a nice courteous little notice like "We're sorry, but due to rising ammuniton prices, we're no longer able to provide a warning shot."

Hydra should have a no-start option. DON'T leave a position blank; that'll give it away. Mark it "Whisper mode". You can also hide a kill switch on the starter circuit.

The tools should be covered on your homeowner's insurance, and shouldn't have been considered in determining whether the truck would be totaled. I would argue the same thing might apply to the Hydra, and poss. even the mechanical gauges. Or at least that those items aren't part of the "base" value of the truck, so should not count against whether it's "totaled". More trivial example - many years ago I had a radar detector stolen from a car. They decided that since it wasn't built into the dash or anything like that, it wasn't "part" of the car (as opposed to something like the radio), therefore the homeowner's policy covered it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So by all means I could get an android tablet and have a very large touch screen interface with my 17 yr old truck? also is there any info (maybe I missed it) on what the read outs should be at on a normal basis? I only saw min and max perameters.

·
Registered
195 Posts
you need an android device, a Bluetooth obd adapter, and the $5 app Torque Pro.
:eek:nce you have those you download the ford pid package which mostly consists or gauges that work for 6.0 .
to enter the gauges found in this thead , from the main menu Setting/Manage extra PID. add custom PID. then enterthe data found in these lists

i would get cargaugepro as well to do buzztest KOEO KOER scan and clear DTCs

Just my perspective on this...

Torque Pro is an Android app that connects with a separate Bluetooth/OBD adapter to collect and display info from the (for us with Ford Owner's) Power Control Module (ECU). So it can display any info that the PCM "see's" in a GUI gauge display. In the app, you can select a vehicle profile linked to a dashboard kind of display, so that when it starts, it will go back to those settings. PID's are ways that it talks to the computer and translates it into a usuable gauge "control." (So we can read it and it be accurate.) It remembers what profile was selected/used last and will restart with that last profile. A dashboard, is the page that you setup with the GUI gauge (controls) that you link a style of guage, with a PID, that polls the PCM for specific data about a specific thing. It was originally written for OBDII controlled, basic gasoline vehicles and had basic PID defintions for the commonly accepted OBDII standards.

What this thread means to us, with Older Ford Diesels... was at first a challenge. Powerstrokes are not the normal vehicle. Ford uses it's own way of talking and translating info from it's computer. These Extended Ford PID's were first translated for the 6.0l powerstroke, by some 6.0l PSD owner's elsewhere on this forum and on the torque forum.

MJ and another person, translated most of the PID's for the 7.3l... and the early OSB 7.3l's... OSB's are different animals. They had different injector types, different sensors, an IDM instead of the FCIM... and the computers were not as smart and controlled less things (saw less info). Example, OBS'es, the PSM doesn't see the Coolant temp... that goes straight to a gauge for us. It is almost completely working for us. It is a real handy app. It is also easy to use.

Along side this, there are owners of other makes of cars (asian, european, etc.) that are developing the translations to their specific makes of cars.

I have a GPS mount from my window, leave my BT/OBD adapter plugged into my truck... and when I get into it, I mount and plug my phone into power, press the Torque Icon... and have my app configured to start in a dashboard. So when it starts, my truck has it's pages of gauges up. Want to look at a different page of gauges, I swipe the screen.

My cost of the whole setup was about $20. My mechanical gauges where $250 and are only 3 gauges... I have Autoenginuity, that will show visual data gauges, but was just under $400 (besides the laptop). So, yes, this is a low-cost alternative, that is very useful.

The diagnostics part of it (the OBDII scanner) will show ODB error codes, but not much else. You cannot do a buzz test with it. (But there is another android app that will... Car Gauge Pro) The gauges themselves are a diagnostic goldmine to show me what is going on when it happens.

It also has a data-logging feature, where you can capture the data, to track down things going on... And not have to watch it "when it happens" to see what is going on.

So yes, a low-cost solution that will provide you with some very power tools. IMHO, even if you just use it as GUI gauges, you can't beat the price. I picked up a phone for free, when a friend upgraded theirs. No service? No problem. Wireless updates when I am home.

The extended PID's that MJ and others are getting worked out, at the moment, have to be added/entered and saved in the Extended PID Editor manually. Once they are worked out and work, then mj could submit them to the author of the app, to be included in the Extended Ford PID file, so those particular items could just be selected from the list... and there would be no manual work required of new users. That is the goal, right?

On the other (off-topic)- The Adjuster just left. They are fixing my truck, including replacing my mechanical gauges, the PHP Hydra Chip and paying for my custom tunes. Big load off me. I was really stressing me out last night when the Claims clerk mentioned the possibility of being "Totaled!!!" Which brings to mind... How do I do "mods and upgrades" and insure that it's protected? I'm thinking on burglar alarms, booby traps, cutoff switches, a blank tune position and such... but Insurance-wise? Just something more for me to think about.
These two posts really helped to clarify how this all works and how to get the info into the app.

Hopefully we can keep the relevant PID's in one spot (this thread) until the app creator actually creates a "dedicated" OBS PID file.

Thanks again m j and MAFoElffen

Dan

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was typing my previous post on my phone, at work, sorry for the typos from my fat fingers

So by all means I could get an android tablet and have a very large touch screen interface with my 17 yr old truck? also is there any info (maybe I missed it) on what the read outs should be at on a normal basis? I only saw min and max perameters.
yes that works, post pics in this thread when you figure out how to mount it :) I want one.
with the tiny gauge size I have been using for the stuff we are testing I cannot read them until I upload the images to my desktop PC

this morning was frosty

·
Registered
195 Posts
While I absolutely don't mind manually entering formulas (I work with Excel a lot)...I am still a little confused as to the initial setup of the app.

Do I/(we) need to set up an initial profile or can we let it self populate from the protocol scan.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Torque OBD2 Wiki

I dont think you have to create a profile, but you should use them so if you need to check out another car you dont lose your stuff, I have 4 profiles saved on mine, a crownvic that I put a 2005 mustang 5 speed manual trans in to, a 2500 GMC from work to read DTC, a 6.0lpowerstroke my girlfriends, and my 97 f250
they all need completely different gauges.

profiles are set up from the main menu and are pretty easy

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

I am pushing this stuff a bit but I am not the one doing the real work.
I collected and tried a bunch of stuff as I found it
Capp777 on the Torque forum is giving his time for us and deserves the credit

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

this is a crazy app
I suck at exel but this is ebp and boost with the 'boost fooler'/'home depot regulator ' clipping is at 24.5psi

if I knew how to scale rpm down so it wouldnt make all the other data unreadable.... I guess do that in torque and make the gauge read x100

21 - 40 of 354 Posts