Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a 06 f250 cclb I've noticed recently my transmission is missing 4th gear it seems like it slips and then goes 3 right to 5th gear I checked for dtcs found none figured it might be a solenoid has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
If it skips a gear it will set a code. You may need a better tool to read the codes. Also, a bad solenoid will set a code.

What does it do with the tuner removed?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used IDS my friend has the software I haven't tried removing the tuner. Do you by chance have a apply chart for the clutches maybe I'm wrong that there is a problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
it does skip 4th gear. Its programmed to do that unless its 0*F or less.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
If the ambient air temp is 0° or less, it shifts 1-3-4-5-6 (IIRC, ask Mark Kovalsky)
If its above 0°, it does the normal 1-2-3-5-6 shift.
Its technically a 6 speed, but only uses 5 gears at a time.

sent from my Smart Car

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
So in sense it's a 5 speed trans?
It was advertised as a 5 speed trans. It uses five distinct ratios. It is a five speed trans in every sense of the word I can think of.
If the ambient air temp is 0° or less, it shifts 1-3-4-5-6 (IIRC, ask Mark Kovalsky)
Below 0°F it shifts 1-2-3-4-6. Above 0°F it shift 1-2-3-5-6.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Thanks Mark! Was not sure exactly.

sent from my Smart Car

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was advertised as a 5 speed trans. It uses five distinct ratios. It is a five speed trans in every sense of the word I can think of.

Below 0°F it shifts 1-2-3-4-6. Above 0°F it shift 1-2-3-5-6.
I don't want to pull anyone away from the OP's problem....But what is the purpose of this? If it has the gears why did ford decide to skip one? and also is that what my 07 F350 has in it for a tranny? It's an automatic? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
From what I have read, its because 4th and 5th are so close together that it doesn't make sense to shift.
And I'm sure that's what is under your truck. IIRC, the 5R was used until Ford started making the 6.7 and 6R140, which I think was in 2011

sent from my Smart Car

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
I don't want to pull anyone away from the OP's problem....But what is the purpose of this? If it has the gears why did ford decide to skip one? and also is that what my 07 F350 has in it for a tranny? It's an automatic? Thanks.
The ratios are:
3.11:1
2.2:1
1.54:1
1.09:1
1:1
0.71:1

It doesn't make sense to use both the 1.09:1 and the 1:1. The RPM drop during the shift would be so small that most people would bring it to the dealership and complain that something was wrong. So it isn't done.

And why was it designed with six ratios, but only five are useable? Because it us a two speed trans in front of a three speed trans. There is no good way to get the overdrive ratio correct and to have six useable ratios with the 2+3 setup.

And why was the 2+3 used in the first place? Cost. It was MUCH less expensive to produce this trans than the six speed 6R140 that replaced it.

Your 2007 has the 5R110W TorqShift five speed automatic transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea and mine works fine so I'm not here to complain about, just have to ask the stupid questions along with the rest:postwhore2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts