Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the factory convertor is a tripple disk design. for a daily driver that sees some towing but mostly not a crazy amount of weight. what kind of convertor would benifit me the most? stock, aftermarket? is there any performance improvement in a aftermarket convertor? i was poking around and it looks as if the ford convertor is close to the price of some of the performance convertors. any mpg improvement?

·
Registered
140 Posts
What was wrong with your transmission? Did the solenoid fix it?

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it fixed it for about 3 weeks. the truck still shifts thru all the gears but is slipping pretty bad and some times goes to 3rd from a stop as well as slipping from 3to 5 and a worse reverse shudder. the solenoid did help i think but now im looking for the best option for getting the tranny fixed. i guess the good thing is the temps are not going anywhere higher than 180* and it hasnt left me stranded. ive been pretty easy on it and the gain in mpgs is proof gained 2mpg in town last tank

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ya same thing with mine. When I drive it easy it shifts good and doesn't slip. When I get in it hard it'll slip a shift really bad. The reverse shudder is starting to come back. I'm just waiting for it to start slipping again and leave me stranded.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i get on it.. it will drop out of gear or slip them slam into gear... trying to not break stuff... it sux. hate to say it but doug was right. i should have traded it lol 2 weeks ago

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Your trans is shot. You need a new trans and converter or trade the truck in those are the only two options you have to get rid of the problem you are having.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Don't bother with more than stock unless you are rebuilding. It is kinda like mating a young stud with Grandma. Not a good idea especially if I am that young stud. :D As to the TC even if you are rebuilding, best go with the builder's recommendation. You bring your own steak to the restaurant and ask them to cook it but if it goes south, who is to blame? The moron who cooked it or the moron who brought it in?

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware the tranny is shot. Haven't decided which route on the rebuild.. Just want to know the difference between a built and or bad a$$ convertor vs stock or somethink like a dayco etc. Is it worth the coin pretty much.. What gains power? Mpgs? I'd rather not spend 3 grand on a tranny and another grand + on a tc. Plus a new tranny cooler... Also what brands are good along with it. A lot of companies don't build their own parts just put the label on them. I don't know if torque convertors are that way though.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm aware the tranny is shot. Haven't decided which route on the rebuild.. Just want to know the difference between a built and or bad a$$ convertor vs stock or somethink like a dayco etc. Is it worth the coin pretty much.. What gains power? Mpgs? I'd rather not spend 3 grand on a tranny and another grand + on a tc. Plus a new tranny cooler... Also what brands are good along with it. A lot of companies don't build their own parts just put the label on them. I don't know if torque convertors are that way though.
Do you plan to keep it 100% stock or modified or what? How long do you plan to keep the truck? If you dump $5000 into the trans, don't think you will get much back if you sell it so you have to figure that into your equation. In my case, I plan to keep it for a while so I spent the money to fix it up right. If I sold it tomorrow, few, if any will give me more money because I spent $3900 for a BTS trans. OTOH, I know it will break sooner or later so since I will keep it, the BTS warranty works for me. He will fix it for nothing even after 2 yrs. No limits on what I do.

If you want to mod it, please be aware that the company might void the warranty if they feel it has been abused. Sure, you can fight it but is it worth it? Make sure the builder is fine with the modifications and GET IT IN WRITING.

Doesn't matter who does what with the TC. If there is a problem with the trans, the builder can blame the TC and the TC will blame the builder. Best go with builder.

There should be no power gains since the trans doesn't make power.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It makes no power but it does absorb power. So if a parts absorbs less power that is what I was talking about. Going rate for a bts is $3900 youch... Is that installed turn key?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The stock converter is a single disc. I have a stock one, a suncoast and an ATS one cut open...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It makes no power but it does absorb power. So if a parts absorbs less power that is what I was talking about. Going rate for a bts is $3900 youch... Is that installed turn key?
Supposedly it is more efficient. IOW it saps less energy. Not sure how much less since nobody has actually done a dyno on a transmission absorbtion rate.

That was for a 4R100. Not sure if BTS does 5R100s. You have to ask him. Yes, it is pretty much the trans and the TC. You supply the fluid or if you want to change your trans cooler, etc, etc.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had herd the torqshift had a trippe disc stock. Thanks for the clarification doug

·
Registered
140 Posts
I talked to Jeff Garmon and he told me $5200. Drop It off and pick it up within a week. I'm lookin between 4 to 5k either way. I feel your pain.:doh:

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take it to doug. Especially if your going to spend that kind of coin. He is fairly close to ya. Well compared to me at least.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
BTS does 5R100s, if you want a droped shiped price on a BTS please PM me with your zip and if its a home or commercial address.

Cary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts