Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 f350 6.0 - @ crusing speeds the torque converter stays locked, but during decel it unlocks, then back on throttle it locks again (bugging the crap outta me). Are there any mods (sct tuner etc), or do I need to change torque converter, or go to Allison transmission. thanks

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
The allison is nothing but crap if you throw power at it.

Is your truck tuned or stock? If its stock get the truck tuned, you can keep it with stock levels but get the transmission tuning with the stock maps smoothed out. Matt @ Gearhead I hear has an awesome file like this. Any of the tuners can do this for you.

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck just has an economy chip on it, nothing major. Ok kool I'll check it out, my only issue is to keep the torque converter locked up when foot is off the throttle. Luv the truck. thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
a custom SCT tune can change the converter lockup however you want it.

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok kool I did read that, but what about when you take foot off the throttle, will it stay locked then?? That's the part that drives me crazy. thanks :ford:

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome that is exactly what I was looking for

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
you got it, tell them you dont want it to unlock at all, because my truck source tunes unlock after a a little bit of off throttle cruising (say down a hill) are you using tow haul mode? In tow haul mode on my tunes in tow haul it never unlocks it down shifts keeping it locked

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I dont tow heavy enough to use the tow/haul. I just hate when I go down a hill & let off throttle - the darn torque converter unlocks LOL

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ok kool I did read that, but what about when you take foot off the throttle, will it stay locked then?? That's the part that drives me crazy. thanks :ford:
like said, it's all in the tuneing. If you want it locked...your tuner can make it happen, if you don't...he can also do that. Custom tunes are the way to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
what are the pros and cons of having it locked or unlocked while not on the throttle? is this just for towing or is it that you dont like how it feels or bad on it. just trying to understand the purpose of both sideds because i have no idea thank you

·
LuvMyFORD33
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the torque converter locks up, rpms go down, when it unlocks, rpms go up. So, if you're on the hwy driving 75 mph, approach slower vehicle, take foot off throttle - the torque converter unlocks, you put foot back on throttle it will be unlocked, so rpms will go up, then it will lock up & rpms go down again. These trucks have plenty of power, so it is fine for torque converter to stay locked. I just dont like the rpms fluctuating like this, seems unnecessary to me - hope that helps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd have it rolled back to an earlier PCM file. The 03 and some 04 had the best trans files IMHO. They'd stay locked up all the time in tow/haul mode, and had that extra down shift from 3rd to 2nd, on decel. All the new flashes are unlocked and stop down shifting when they reach 3rd on decel. They suck...

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
^^^^^^^ YES exactly what i have in my mind, I HATE towing simply for this reason, it straight up sucks and kills brake life because I have to stomp on the brakes. My tow tune with jake brake is worthless if it drops to a freakin' idle when decelerating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts