Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night I was cruising along at about 65mph, towing an empty 5x12 flat bed trailer. A slight shudder for a second and then all hell broke loose! I grabbed the steering wheel with both hands and braked just in time to see my driver's side rear fender go flying over my trailer and into the darkness. I pulled over to inspect the damage and found that my outside wheel (dually) had thrown its tread, tearing off my fender and fuel cap. What a mess! A search through ebay averages $500 per fender, unpainted and with no hole for my fuel door. Here comes the question... a friend has a single rear wheel bed that he will give me. I want to put it on my truck while I get my dually bed fixed. I have oem rims from my Excursion (16x7) that I can use with the single rear wheel bed. Will this work or am I missing something?

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
My dad had the same thing happen. Busted up the lower portion of the fender pretty good. Some tape and a few bungee cords later and he's still rolling with it. Lol

As far as your question... Only thing that comes to mind is axle width...DRW axle might be narrower, causing some tire fitment issues. But that's an easy thing to check. Just put a tape on each axle and see.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
if I remember correctly there isnt a huge difference in axle width. I remember hearing about people putting them in the SRW trucks because they were stronger. I could be wrong, but it sounds like it will work for now

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll try to have it done this weekend. The srw bed is red and my truck is white, so it might look a bit odd for a while, but at least it is usable while my drw bed gets fixed. I've already tried the excursion rims and they fit fine. I didn't notice them being out of line with the front wheels. I took the dually spacers off the front and put the Excursion wheels on the front also. On the rear axle I don't like how the rotors are out there on their own instead of being tucked safely inside the rim, but I don't think that will be an issue... I hope.

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna tackle the job tomorrow and if I get done, ill try to post a few pics. Hopefully the rain holds off. Been wet here in Florida today.

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the job didnt go as smoothly as planned. Of the 8 bed bolts, only 6 were in place. Of the 6 in place, I only got 2 to unbolt. The other 4 I had to cut off. Does anyone know where I can get some more of these without paying The Stealership prices? I need the bolts and the nuts that clip on to the frame.

·
Registered
616 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.