Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a very hardcore nascar Fan from 2000 to mid 2006. I stopped watching it because:

They made it too "politically correct". Im talking about the pushing/shoving in the pits. The occasional cus word on the Post Race, then small fine. Things like that.They made it alot safer. Not that that is bad but if you were a hardcore fan like me, especially the technical aspects of the car. It really is just too tamed down. You had to be really into nascar like i was to understand.

I would wrather watch the Olympics today.(Seriously) Because the luge is more exciting than the 500 to me, and i hate the snow. I think the competition is more intense. And i know when a foriegner is peed off at somebody.

BURN, FACE, YOUR MOM NASCAR!!!!

I realize these changes are being made, and im glad ill be able to flip to the 500 during nbc commercials to see if it makes a difference. And to see the old spoiler back.

Do the hardcore fans still there like i used to be think this is just nascar blowin smoke, or will it work? If it does im glad, bc ill def. take a bigger look at the 500 today.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
I think that many people are like this. My dad, grandads, all of my brothers, friends, we all used to get together to watch the race. We could all care less about it now.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I used to be a big nascar fan too but it seems as of late all nascar cares about is making money with all the ad's and talk and blah blah blah. I liked seeing Harvick and Stewart getting into it once and a while, or Dale jr and Gordon bumping eachother around the track.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I watched alot of the practices and after seeing them im gonna watch the 500. I know what you mean about nascar taming it down to much, they lost alot of fans because of it and now theyre making the appropriate changes. I dont think everything is going to change overnight, but it is getting better. Also, they're still running the wing for now, but the spoiler will be brought back pretty soon, teams are still doing testing on it.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Turn left, turn left again, and again, and again.... LOL

I used to go to some NASCAR in the 70's & 80's. I watched a bit in the 90's but it has lost a lot of appeal since Y2K. This past decade has gone down the tubes. I do turn it on every now and then, but it is, well, blah...

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
I don't understand how someone could watch cars do laps. Nascar has to be the most boring sport I've ever seen.

Ya i feel the same way about baseball and basketball, not to mention GOLF. I would watch nascar all day if i could!

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
When they let Toyota in back in 07 and swtiched to the COT, I quit watching. Pretty much it went down hill back when Dale died. NASCAR knew they couldn't keep the restraints on him, like they could all the other drivers. Im going to watch it today and see how it goes. Mostly I'm just going to the bar, because they're having a bunch of free food. :D

·
This We'll Defend
1,549 Posts
When they let Toyota in back in 07 and swtiched to the COT, I quit watching. Pretty much it went down hill back when Dale died. NASCAR knew they couldn't keep the restraints on him, like they could all the other drivers. Im going to watch it today and see how it goes. Mostly I'm just going to the bar, because they're having a bunch of free food. :D
I agree. What made it great was the driver competition, and the competition between Ford, the GM products that raced over the years, and the Mopar guys. But when every Formula 1 guy that wanted to try out stock car racing came into it, plus Toyota becoming a NASCAR force just ruined it for me.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I agree. What made it great was the driver competition, and the competition between Ford, the GM products that raced over the years, and the Mopar guys. But when every Formula 1 guy that wanted to try out stock car racing came into it, plus Toyota becoming a NASCAR force just ruined it for me.
I thought I was the only one that felt that away ................ :mad::mad:

Dale then letting Toyota in . :mad::mad::mad:

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
I don't understand how someone could watch cars do laps. Nascar has to be the most boring sport I've ever seen.
what, you don't like staring at the same sponsor slathered side of a car for 500 left turn circles?

Its probably the 50th coolest form of auto racing, I dunno how anyone can watch it either. But you know that your sport is wack if even fans of it think its boring.....

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
If you ain't rubbin, you ain't racin. Old and corny, but still true. They need the personalities to keep it interesting. It's the personality clashes that make their way on to the track that make for an interesting race. Personality clashes between teams, and within teams make the race interesting.

From a technology perspective, the rules are killing most of racing. IRL, NASCAR, F1, etc... They make small changes to the bodies and slap a different logo on the car, but for the most part, no big technology changes.
It used to be that racing events were used by companies to showcase new technology they were working on, and may be used in the production vehicles.
Restrictor plate? HUH? CHOKE the engine? why?

Something I'd like to see is a team use is airfoils that change shape depending on the steering angle.
It would allow less downforce in the straights, and more in the corners. More steering = more downforce.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, cookie-cutter cars killed it for me.

Force these guys to run with stock cars. If they only have FWD, then that's all they can run.

Back in the day, you could at least tell the difference between them. Now, you can't... you have to see what symbol is stuck on the hood, and calling a car a Toyota, for example, that you can't buy a single part for in a parts store is just moronic.

Put the "stock" back into "stock car racing" and I'm there.

Otherwise, I'm working on my 2 cars (camaros for the strip) my tow rig (the beasty) or suring the web... like now.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yeah, the last race i watched was when dale died....i lost interest immediatly!
exactly, he was what kept nascar going. now its all boring politics and who can take the same car where without rubbing an bumping, thats what racing is!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been a fan since the 70s, it was tough to find a race on TV then. I followed it through magazines and MRN, Motor Racing Network on radio. Now every race is televised, but I agree that the series isn't what it used to be. I liked it when the crew chiefs had more leeway to tune their cars, and used tricks they learned in the garage to gain a little edge. They've tightened things up so much the races have become boring, and the drivers get fined for speaking their mind.

One thing that really ticks me off is the rules changes. They've made changes mid season, I don't feel that is fair at all. If you plan your strategy to the current rules and have them changed, your strategy plan can go out the window and put you at a disadvantage.

A number of years ago, a rules change froze the field at the sign of a caution, prior to that they would race back to the finish line for their position. If the accident was between the leaders and the finish line, this could lead to a very dangerous situation. It made sense, and raised the safety level on the track.

A couple years ago, my driver Mark Martin was leading the Daytona 55 in the last lap. There was a wreck behind him, and instead of freezing the field as the rules dictate, they allowed the race to continue. I think Mark lifted for a second thinking he was holding his position, and before he could recover Kevin Harvick passed him for the win. The rules should be the same throughout the season and should be enforced evenly.

Last year I went to a sports bar to watch the race, I was the only one there. Today I went to 3 different sports bars and the race wasn't even on, they were watching golf, basketball and the Olympics. I found a TV at the last bar no one was watching and switched on the race. It's just an indication that the popularity is dropping everywhere. I'd be curious to hear from more of the southern belt guys and see what the people who founded the sport feel.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts