Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine stops at 95 mph,read and tried for myself about when it hits 95mph turn key like your starting and it will take off, since neutral safety switch in place no actual starter engagement, i tried it, hit 95 and held key in start posistion, dont know how fast it kept climbing and felt turbo pulling hard when i let off key,guess over 120, no ill effects what so ever on anything, no codes thrown.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
just be careful with that, sounds like you could fry your starter that way...had a friend do this in his ram 1500...same thing truck climbed on the mph side...but the started got fried out....

i would reccommend it....maybe a programmer can change your governers....

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
You do know it is a truck (and a heavy one at that) not a race car. Why do you need to go over 95? Or is it just in case of the zombie attacks?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got fed up with same tundra blowing my doors every time we met on interstate,, was on another powerstroke site some them guys doing over 135,but the starter never engaged or tried to that i heard,,starts fine still, i cked for any codes afterwards, nothing came up, i was told it bypasses the abs comp while keys in start position is why it will pickup speed, as far as race car i got one them too but that tundra seemed to make a point slowing down till i try to pass then flooring it for weeks on end on a 50 mile stretch, i think his stopped at 100-110 not sure but i passed him that time.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Yea I would just raise the speed limiter with a tune to like 120 and I bet that would be more than enough to stomp the tundra.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
get a tuner. mine will do well in excess of 95. it is handy when you need to pass a car or two on a long strech of 2 lane

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
key tricks way cheaper than a tuner when only needed maybe once twice a yr, unless that tundra gets a tuner, then its on besides if someone besides me drives it like an employee it might be a sad story, this is the best way in my case as others that read this might agree if say there son or someone else uses truck and its no biggy if it blows up because its no cost to them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
just keep in mind the fuel pump may or may not run while the key is in the start position. while I did try this with my old truck, and it picked up speed like a rocket, I have no idea what fuel pressure i had. assuming the pump shuts down while cranking you would have a fuel pressure drop that in short order will DESTROY all 8 injectors. Still sound cheaper than a tuner? now if someone with a fuel pressure gauge is willing to make the experiment and see what the pressure does.......I don't want to chance doing it my injectors even once just in case it does drop

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Key trick, while perfectly safe for your starter as it will not try and engage is NOT good for your injectors. The PCM is saying to itself "WTF is going on?" and it does things that it would not normally do.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
That seems just silly. A tuner is under $500. You couldn't buy 2 injectors for that...

You can removed your speed limiter all together with the SCT's. Plus with that, you could load a different tune on for an employee to drive. You can even get valet tunes as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tried it again ideling in gear emerg brake on,looking at fuel presure gauge,held key in start position,presure never went down,held it there 5 mins,never went down,the heater motor stoped while holding key and the dash lights went out but fuel presure never went down 1 lb so maybe injectors will not get starved for fuel, cked for any codes, nothing., guess you just have to try things to see first hand for yourself, i woulda thought no fuel pump as well and then no fuel to injectors but not the case at all, i dont know how or why but i seen it myself. maybe not so silly after all.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Let's be logical. If you were to attempt to start the vehicle with no fuel would it run? Of course the fuel pump runs when the starter is engauged. I would also assume that the reason why all the accessories go off when starting is to reduce drain on the battery while cranking to improve component life. So the pcm/ tcm/ ecm are likely not interrupted since they are critical for engine starting. With my sct I have a stock file for a tune. On that tune I can set the speed to 65mph. If I was worried about employees driving my truck that tune would be on it. Hopefully I wouldn't be buying starters when they wanted to go faster. I also do not let anyone except my wife drive the truck in anything except stock tuning. My wife has driven my truck about 3 times in the past 2yrs at that. Btw. I bought my sct used for $110 add some tunes and you set for less than 2 tanks of fuel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
randy,you see any other problems doing it this way, sometimes just gotta try things to see since nobody else wanta to try, only speculate.

·
Administrator
32,974 Posts
so while doing 95 MPH in a 8000 lb truck your going to take a hand of the steering wheel and mess with the ignition switch ?:doh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol,i guess so, do it alot at 180 plus while shifting tho, two hands on wheel in a s8 line sometimes can be a burden causing an oversteer condition, but if it makes you feel better i wasnt wearing my fire suit or helmet that day.

·
Administrator
32,974 Posts
true

I forgot about the manuls ..
drove plenty of them .. but not in a long time

I could shift fast ,, like less the 1.5 seconds IIRC ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts