Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all of you for your help over the past couple of weeks on advice on purchasing my first powerstroke. I will be picking my 96 f250 ccsb 4x4 in a few days. Now the fun begins. I’ve been looking at either the rsk setup or a 05+ swap. With all my research I’m a little conflicted. I Haul small loads around, don’t do much towing, this upgrade is purely for the comfort of my wife and kids. Looks like rsk, v code, sd springs, and shocks will be close to $1500. However, I have a buddy who knows a friend of a guy’s cousin who will sell me a complete 2007 f250 rolling chassis for 700$. Sounds like I would need to purchase shocks for that also. What would y’all recommend? And are there any other added expenses I should be aware of?
Btw, here is my new beauty! So excited.

·
Project Shamu
3,156 Posts
Do it right the first time and do the 05+ swap. I've done both and learned the hard way lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
What LtDan said. Do the swap with the links and coil springs.

Great looking truck by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What LtDan said. Do the swap with the links and coil springs.

Great looking truck by the way.
thank you sir. Breaking down the pricing, I was completely wrong about the 05+ swap. Didn’t realize there was a kit to bolt on these suspensions that cost 1300$, especially since I would not be able to do any welding. Then I would have to get new wheels and tires.. that changes everything. Aside from the wheels and tires. Are there any less expensive kits, or a way to piece together my own for cheaper?

·
Project Shamu
3,156 Posts
I have made 05+ coil spring swap kits before... PM me.

As far as the wheels go, you can take the hubs and rotors to a machine shop and just have them redrilled for your 8x6.5 pattern if you want to keep them. Thats what a lot of people have done, including myself.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As far as the wheels go, you can take the hubs and rotors to a machine shop and just have them redrilled for your 8x6.5 pattern if you want to keep them. Thats what a lot of people have done, including myself.

Wheels are crazy expensive these days. I know that is one of the things that kept me from doing the newer axle swap. What did you pay to have that done? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Project Shamu
3,156 Posts
Wheels are crazy expensive these days. I know that is one of the things that kept me from doing the newer axle swap. What did you pay to have that done? If you don't mind me asking.
I actually did it myself on both the front and rear axle. The rear i was able to strip the hub down bare and put it in our waterjet and blow perfect sized holes in very accurate locations. The front axle i couldn't get the hub in the waterjet, so i made a drill template on our laser and drilled it with a nice drill press. Holding strong and even towed my 22k lbs house (RV) a couple times. No problems.

Reactions: lovesdunes

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is awesome!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm on the fence with this as well being as I have an 08 chassis already and a set of sd leaf's
as far as redrilling for 8x6.5 lug pattern the 05 axles have brakes too big for 16" wheels so that ruins it for me as I prefer the look of factory alcolas
so curious on what you decide and others peoples opinions as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts