Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys think its better and easier on the engine when you plug your truck in as opposed to not???

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I plug in when it gets down to about 40....motor oil is thick at 40 and below...plus I like the frost free window and the quick heat

·
Registered
926 Posts
40 is still tshirt weather. We plug our trucks in at 20 and under expecially if we have to go somewhere early in the morning as mos don't like a clacky diesel warming up outside there Window.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
Anything below 30 and the truck gets plugged in, I can't see how it's bad for them. Your power bill might not like it. We have afew 6.0L in our fire station and they are plugged in year round no matter what.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its not bad to leave one plugged in I was wondering what you guys thought bout not plugging it in as opposed to plugging it in as far as being more gentle on the mechanics of the engine ..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
When I use to live farther north it was going to drop down pretty cold. In an effort to make sure the buses for school would work in the morning, they left them running all night. Of course they failed to use treated fuel and they all had gel issues shortly after leaving the yard. Too funny.

·
Registered
152 Posts
its easier on the batteries/starter/glow plugs and also the fuel gauge when thawing the windows. it may even cause a person to not be late for work! so all in all it does have its advantages

·
Registered
406 Posts
neighborhood cats prefer it when its frigid out also
hahah ive had that one happen a few times go and start it up and hear a cat going bannanas under the hood and come flying out like a bat out of hell

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Personally, I live in an apartment community and never plug mine up. It has been down to around 2 degrees a few times and the truck never has any issue starting. I do agree that it definitely helps the fuel gauge to plug it up. 7.3 takes forever to warm up enough to melt a frosted windshield. I am going to be moving soon and will start plugging up again.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Personally, I live in an apartment community and never plug mine up. It has been down to around 2 degrees a few times and the truck never has any issue starting. I do agree that it definitely helps the fuel gauge to plug it up. 7.3 takes forever to warm up enough to melt a frosted windshield. I am going to be moving soon and will start plugging up again.

the neighbors must love you when you fire that thing off early in the am with it 2 degrees out....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I plug mine when it is below 30. I was out of town and did not plug it when I was gone and had trouble starting it when I got back home. I bought a timer and ran the extension under the garage door. I usually have the time on for about 3 hours.

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
the neighbors must love you when you fire that thing off early in the am with it 2 degrees out....
Lol no complaints so far. I will say our apartments are insulated from sound really well. They may not even hear it. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
My opinion is...The faster you can get it up to operating temperature, the better it is.
I plug in from November to April.

·
Hot Rod
5 Posts
Anything below 30 is a whole lot better on the mechanics to plug in. It takes a lot longer for thick oil to lube those critical parts than thin oil. A little power goes a long way in preventative maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts