·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
Our racing season has came to an end.
I have winterized and put my 24' enclosed car trailer up for the winter,
and un hooked my 2003 Ford F250 6.0

This was my first year pulling with a diesel and it was nice.
But my truck has 200.000+ miles on it, and started having a miss at normal driving rpm 1800-2000 on the interstate.

Now with cold weather setting in, it's hard to impossible to start,

So the wife told me, (Just look at getting a newer truck) SO i did...

I decided against a 6.0, then decided no to the 6.4 but can't afford the 6.7
I can't and will not buy a Duramax.. (I have a buddy who pulls his trailer with one and he doesn't want no part of a missing 200.000+ miles 6.0)

So I begin looking at the newer dodges (Can't believe I said that)
But after reading and talking to a couple of local dodge boys, they said the 12v cummins is awesome in the older trucks, but they weren't comfortable with the newer ones...

So here's my thing...

Do i just need to plan on getting dirty if I have to and keep my Stroker, I mean I like the truck alot, it has it's problems like only the defrost blows and the a/c doesn't work.

I think my hard start and miss is related to the FICM, (Which I will test and probably send to FICMRepair.com

Im planning on either bullet proofing or deleting the EGR/Oil Cooler
and rebuild the front end.
Im mechanically minded so doing the work shouldn't be to hard...

I think im going to stay loyal to the Hellion (What my buddy calls it)

thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If I were you I would prep my truck for winter. It should not be hard to start at all. I live in Northern Indiana and my 94.5 7.3 PSD fires right up every morning like she is brand new. My miles far exceed your miles too.
Look into new glow plugs, new glow plug relay and maybe plug your truck in at night. Those three should make your truck fire like a dream in a morning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,
even plugged in my truck is hard to start,
it hits but about the time you let lose of the key it quits...

Also I can give it a little fuel and it seems to help it run, (However im not sure if that does it or if it's my imagination)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,
guess your right,
I think i am going to thorw a new FICM, Blue Spring, New Batteries and maybe some glow plugs...
I think she'll be ready for another year of towing...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Comfort is something to consider too. Not knocking dodges, but ford for sure has the nicer interior of the 2.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think im going to depend on PSN to help me through this...

Im good on gas engines... I can't think Diesels would be much diff...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i think im going to depend on PSN to help me through this...

Im good on gas engines... I can't think Diesels would be much diff...
Not too far off. If you have any questions just ask up here and there is someone that can always help you.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
the reason your defrost only blows is because you have a vacuum leak. check the vacuum motor and the lines that run to/from it. as far as the hard starting goes...with 200k miles on the stock? injectors, you're probably getting some stiction issues. run some rev x through it to see if it helps. also, might want to consider going to a 5w40 synthetic if you haven't already. the heavier oil will stick up the spool valves in the injectors when it's cold and it will run like ass until warm. also, check your FICM voltage. should be 48V while your cranking.

it really sounds like you can get this thing running like a top again for less than a grand so if you like the truck, diagnose the problems correctly first. you'll be surprised at all the "little" stuff you can do to help these motors run great.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I think its time to knuckledown and fix something. If you sell your trucks everytime you have an issue, well, your going to be going through some trucks... When you go buy your next truck, it will have issues too. And so on and so forth. Every vehicle will need attention so buck up.

There's your pep talk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts