Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i realize this is not the tires forum.. however. I want to know what people are running on their excursions for all season tires.. not mudders.. i live in nw iowa right by siouxfalls sd it snows here.. sometimes a lot... and its icy..... summer street or mud terrain tires do not interest me. anyone had good luck with one or another? im looking at goodyear silent armour (had good luck on my f150) and have decided to scratch the off brand selections.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Really like the Cooper ATR 285/75R16 on the wifes ex.
Also too. I drive cooper atr 305/70-16 on my Ex. My wife drive same tires 265/70-16 on her chevy tahoe 3dr, very nice tyre.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in Buffalo and use my truck to plow, when I bought the truck it had the Goodyear Silent Armors and they are excellent in the snow and ice. I bought some off brand last time and regret it everyday, definately going back to the goodyears next time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the goodyear silent armour but will definately check out the coopers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had 2 sets of the goodyears on previous trucks. They worked great on the snow and Ice. Can't tell you how long they lasted tho. sold both trucks before the tires were wore out.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the goodyear silent armour but will definately check out the coopers.
The Cooper Discoverer ATR is a good tire but they have been discontinued. I have them on my F-250 right now. Cooper has a better tire for ice and snow. It is the Discoverer M+S Winter. They can even be studded if you desire.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
On my Exursions I have run BFG ATs, Duratracs, Terra Grapplers, BFG Long Trail and the ATs and Duratracs are my favorite

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm running Bridgestone Revo 2 duelers on my 04 EX 4X4

I went with the 285 75 16's They are quiet on the highway. I'm waiting to see how they do this winter!

·
Gun Clinger
58 Posts
I have Firestone Destination AT 285/75-16 Load Range E on mine. Didn't have a problem with slushy conditions the one time we had a winter storm in the last two or three years. So far they have seemed to wear well, probably a little over half tread with 28,000 miles.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
If anyone would like a set of wheels for winter tires, I have a nice set of Excursion Limited wheels and caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have previously run Cooper STT they were ok 7.5 out of ten. The ATR have been replaced with AT3, just put them on the wifes explorer. I just ordered Hankook dynapro m/t for my excursion so we will see how they do. I like the look and the ratings look great too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have Firestone Destination AT 285/75-16 Load Range E on mine. Didn't have a problem with slushy conditions the one time we had a winter storm in the last two or three years. So far they have seemed to wear well, probably a little over half tread with 28,000 miles.

This. 8k miles on it and I have 12/32 remaining in rear and 13/32 in front. IIRC, it started with 15/32.

No other tire I have has lasted much more than 30k miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in Montana.

I have run two or three sets of Michelin LTX M & S. I have been happy with them for winter driving.

They don't use melters much in Montana, so I get to drive on snow pack. I have been happy with these for winter. I have gotten about 70,000 miles out of each set, and I have replaced them earlier than I had to. They could have lasted longer on summer roads, but I wanted new tires for winter.

They are Load Range E.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am running the Kuhmo Road Venture AT, size 325/60/20. I love them they wear really well and I have pulled out a few stuck trucks with them.

·
Gun Clinger
58 Posts

This. 8k miles on it and I have 12/32 remaining in rear and 13/32 in front. IIRC, it started with 15/32.

No other tire I have has lasted much more than 30k miles.
According to the specs, 15/32 is new. I measured mine the other day and I'm at 7-8/32 at 28,000 miles. I've been very happy with these and when the time comes to buy some new shoes, I'll be putting these back on the big girl.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
On my second set of Silent Armors on the 2WD F-250. Been a very good street tire with low noise on the highway. I really like them and will most likely continue to use them on the F-250. Didn't work that great for me in the snow & ice the last 2 winters but the F-250 is not 4WD so that makes it difficult no matter what the tires are. Running BFG's 305/70 R16 on the Excursion now - waiting to see how they handle in the snow this weekend when we should get 3-5". They might be too wide to run in the snow & ice, have a set of Continental Extreme Winter tires on standby if needed. CHeck out Pernell's Alignment & Tire in Tea, South Dakota - just South of Sioux Falls. He beat just about all the estimates from the bigger tire stores in Sioux Falls. Not allowed to use studded tires in Sioux Falls - so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice.. taking the back road thats about 15mi. from me i will def. check it out. Are you running all terrains? I'm still running the stock tires(yikes) not to the wear bars yet but close enough to make me seek guidance in choosing tires for the X. Its good to know what other have had good luck with or not vs. wasting money on junk tires.. made that mistake before.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
yep, all terrians. I mostly run highway miles on it with the occasional of road run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts