Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to make another post.

With another random question, but my new to me 2001 F350 has.. what I think is a leveling on the front, and what look like probably 35" tires ( they are metric, but they look about the same height as my raptor tires ).

They rub on the leaf springs when I turn sharp, which can't be good.

Even a lift wouldn't solve this, what do I do? Get different wheels that offset more? narrower tires? ( I'll go look up the actual size here in a bit )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So they are LT325/65R18 Cooper Discovery A/T3 Whith I don't know what wheels.

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
the truck came from factory with 29 tall by 9.5 wide tires on 16 inch rims

what you have now is a 35 tall by 13 wide tire on 18 inch rims.
i bet the rims have the wrong offset for those wheels.

i run a 33 by 11.5 tire on factory rims and have no issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Yea I wouldn't doubt it. ( wrong offset ).

Any idea what offset wheel I should look for, if i kept the tires?

I know they will stick out a bit, but that alright.

Might just sell them all and drop down to 33's anyway.

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
sorry, i don't mess with aftermarket rims so i would not know how to figure offset.

another thing to consider is our trucks are supposed to have hub centric rims, and most aftermarket rims are lug centric.
this means instead of the rim fitting on the hub perfectly to keep it centered on the hub, it is relying on the lug nuts to center the rim on the hub.
hub centric is why you sometimes have to WHACK the tire to get it off because of oxidation or dirt buildup between the rim and hub "gluing" the rim to the hub.

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
You won't find an off the shelf wheel with less than 4.5" offset. The nature of the leaf spring suspension will lead to tires rubbing as they get larger and wider.

You could use a wider rim to square up the sidewall but that pushes the outer side further out and then you risk rubbing the fender liner or the bumper lip.

You could drill and tap the steering stops and screw a bolt in. That's what I did with my 04 to keep the 37x13.5 on 9" w/ 4.5" BS (7" lift - 3" hanger/shackle & 4" leafs) from rubbing the leafs. Problem is you take a truck with a huge turn radius and make it even bigger. A 3 point turn now becomes a 5 point turn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol thanks. Maybe I'll just go down to 33's. Would make loading snowmobiles less ridiculous too.

Don't particularly like the wheels or tires on this truck anyway.

I love my Duratrac's on my raptor.

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems getting new rims. I would look at some with an offset of -12. Should put your right about where you want it. Don't go too wide either, get like a 9".

I have 37's and I don't rub on my leafs.
Also dropping from a 35 to a 33 is only a 1" drop in height. Plus your metric tires are only 34.5" anyway.

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
it is more a combination of width and height. a 35X13.5 may hit where a 37X12.5 will not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you.

I also am not a fan of the 18" rims. I like smaller wheels and more tires, not this grocery getter setup...unless the brakes wont fit I have never gone to larger wheels.

On my 2006 6 leaker I had Moto Metal wheels from SDHQ and 35" toyos MT ( garbage in the snow and everywhere hate hate hate those tires ).

Wish I could remember the offset i had on those..But I also had a Icon/Donaho(Sp) 4(4.5?)" lift on that truck. and it had coils so..wouldn't have had this leaf spring problem anyway.

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
i also am not a fan of oversize rims..
"ooooh they look so pretty" yea, and the tires are twice the price of 16's.

i run factory rims with one or two size over tires. i have 285/75R16 cooper AT3's on all my trucks.
they make for a comfortable ride, give great traction, and being load range "E" are still heavy enough to handle the snow plows or any weight put on the truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally found the exact wheels i had on my 6.0

Moto Metal - MO951, 17x9 with 8 on 170 Bolt Pattern - Black | 4WheelParts.com

What is the max load on stock wheels? I'm going to upgrade trailers someday but nothing super huge, no 5th wheels or anything for this guy.

Still wheel shopping, probably going with 17's just in case for whatever reason my tire sizes are the same for the F350 and the Raptor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My raptor has 315/70r17 Duratracs on it. Would that be too wide for the F350? or if I get a -12 offset wheel should it be fine? just stick out a bit?

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
The -12 off set should be fine with a 17x9 rim. It will stick out about 3/4". The weight rating is about right. Just a touch low but with a 315/70r17 tire the weight rating is about the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The -12 off set should be fine with a 17x9 rim. It will stick out about 3/4". The weight rating is about right. Just a touch low but with a 315/70r17 tire the weight rating is about the same.
I ended up before I saw this ordering these wheels. ( which is why shovel called me a flatbiller.. I know him.. I just liked the look and how plain they were )

Mickey Thompson - Deegan 38 Pro 2 Black, 17x9 with 8 on 170 Bolt Pattern - Matte Black (7179170) | 4WheelParts.com

and got 315/70r17 ( same as my raptor ) Duratracs on hold for me at discount tire.

Any idea what I shoud put the coopers, and 18's up for on craiglist? tires seem like they are pretty new. But those wheels i think are run of the mill cheap #### .

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
$500-750. Depends on how fast you want to sell them also. If you split the rim and tires up you could get more.
$50-75 per rim
$100-150 per tire. Only if you still have some decent thread.

Reactions: KTMDirtFace
1 - 20 of 23 Posts