Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off. My other vehicle is a lifted Jeep. I know what death wobble is. This is not it.

With that out the way.

2007 F-350 KR CC LWB Dually 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke

New tires in September that were added after ball joints were replaced (w/ XRF). Tie rods seemed fine (@120k) so I put them back in. Had to replace calipers at this point too as the pistons fell apart when removing them. Had the truck inspected by tire shop and all seemed good.

FFWD 3 months.. noticed some play and uneven tire wear on the front. Replaced axle side drag link and both TRE's (left and right) w/Moog. Pitman Arm TRE seems solid. Tires were badly worn (we went on a 4k trip in the interim) and are pretty uneven (see photo below).

Noticed some grinding noises (all the time) as well as a severe shake around 75mph. Replaced both front hubs (Moog) and new U-JOINTS (Spicer). Severe shake went away. Grinding noise persisted.

Noticed a smaller shake develop a few months later. Replaced steering stablizer w/ Bilstein. Lifted the front to inspect both tires and the passenger side wheel is definitely more difficult to turn than the drivers. Thinking I have a slow to release (sticky) caliper.

After all that work, I still have a persistent grinding noise.. (sounds like metal on metal) remains. As well as a smaller shake in the steering wheel that seems to be Intermittent. Oddly enough, there shake gets worse around 63mph and will smooth out closer to 70. However, sometimes it shakes all three times. Smooth roads seem to irritate it. I don't notice it as much on a rough road. I've had the front end apart a couple of times. No visible wear on anything. Truck drives straight as an arrow.

1) the grinding noise appears to be from the front drivers side. What could that be?

2) could a sticking caliper or badly worn tire cause the steering wheel shake I described?

Any tips on diagnosing this thing? Is there a way to tell if it's the caliper or a brake line that is causing the issues?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
Cupping on a tire like that is either a bad shock, or a tire separation issue in the tire

Reactions: Sbluke55

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
Ya. It would sound like your riding in the rumble strip along side of the highway

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

So, I looked the shocks over real well tonight and then one with the worst wear appeared to be loose so I tightened it up and did a test drive. The shaking seemed to be better but I will know more after tomorrow morning when I can get it on the highway.

I'm still hearing that low hollow grinding noise from the front end though. It's really hard to describe. I hear it from the time I leave a stop and it gets louder as I accelerate.

Tonight I thought maybe it was the 4X4 locking hubs so I engaged the 4WD. It sounded like the rumble strips or a lawnmower under the hood. I disengaged the 4WD and it took longer than normal to disengage but it did. Upon arriving at home I removed both hubs and went for another spin.

The hollow grinding noise was still there. However, when I engaged the 4WD it was pretty quiet. There was maybe a little noise but seemed more normal (I don't think 4WD was ever really super quiet).

Any thoughts on this now?

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
So your shocks are junk. Just buy new ones. Also I would run balancing beads. About 6oz-8oz per tire.

Lock the hubs in and leave it in 2wd. See if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agreed I have the same issue with my tires. Replaced with Bilstein 5100, the old shock I think my 2yr old son could have compressed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your shocks are junk. Just buy new ones. Also I would run balancing beads. About 6oz-8oz per tire.

Lock the hubs in and leave it in 2wd. See if the noise goes away.
The shocks are only about 3-4 months old. So, my guess is they didn't get torqued down properly.

I'll try locking in the hubs on my way to work this morning and report back.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
By the tire wear, you need to balance those tires.

Reactions: aussamdad

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
By the tire wear, you need to balance those tires.
Yup, and even with new shocks, unless you rotate those 2 tires to the back, dont expect a lot of steering change right away

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So.. an update.

Driving to work I manually locked the hubs and it still made some noise but not horrible. Much improved.

Hollow grinding noise still there.

Shaking steering wheel is quite a bit better and isn't constant anymore. It does still do it a little once in a while. Think the badly worn tires can still cause this?

Last night I tightened the top shock mounting bolts as tight as I could get them. The Bilstein 5100's are a real bugger to hold and get tight as the shaft turns inside the shock and there isn't much clearance to get an Allen in the top to hold it that way. Hard to tell if I'm at 46ft lbs (spec).

Really wish Bilstein would've welded a nut on the top there.

As a next step I'm thinking about having the two fronts rotated to the middle rear.

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
You get those tires off the front, you will notice a difference

Reactions: 007matman

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
Make sure to balance everything before putting them back on

Reactions: 007matman

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had the same issue just this past week...a lot of noise, truck shaking, steering wheel bouncing...just not the grinding noise....re-balanced tires and rotated fronts to the rear....almost like new again.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Project Shamu
2,799 Posts
Get an alignment done while you're at it, looks like classic signs of improper Toe, which will feather/cup tires.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the truck aligned a couple of months ago and they said it wasn't bad previously. I asked them about the tire wear then and all they said was "Duallys are hard on tires".

They did make a minor adjustment. I don't have the numbers (they didn't provide them).

·
don't play well w others
4,092 Posts
None of my duelie's are hard on tires. I think your shop is sub par, using that as an excuse for poor work.
Find a better shop

1 - 20 of 22 Posts