Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Revo's were starting to dry rot so it was time for new rubber. My tire guy deals with a lot of Hankook and that's what I use on the cabs with great success. I orderd some 285/75/16 Hankook ATM RF10's. The truck was all over the road. It was hard to keep it in the lane doing 80mph, I must have looked like a drunk. I could describe it as severe over steer. I called the tire guy he sends me another set to try and no luck. I then ordered some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and the truck is much better. I know the Excursion has been known for it's odd tracking issues and the Hancooks really brought that out. They make a great tire for Crown Vics, I've used 100's and never had an issue like this. I must have got a bad batch of ATM's? Any similar stories? Here's some pics of the tires:

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires listed by size

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I am running ATM's on my plow truck and love them. They are way more stable then the Cooper ATR;s i took off.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I got 2 bad sets? I've never had tires change the Excursion that much. I liked the way the ATM's looked, the tread was nice. I'm really happy with these Goodyears though and they are made in the USA. If the Goodyears don't work out in the long run I would give the ATM's another shot.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Well if you got them from the same place its possible as it could have been a bad lot. I have run them before and had nothing but great luck with them. Lasted forever and worked very well. Is it possible that your alignment has gotten out of spec but the old tires wore with it slowly so it was not noticeable but now with brand new tires with clean lines its showing the issue.

What have you done to your suspension as far as upgrades up to now? I hear of tracking issues exactly as you describe ALL the time from stock setup X's. I got lucky with mine but it also only has 80K on it.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the tires from the same warehouse. I had the aligment checked just in case and it was spot on. As for the suspension, I don't remember what code springs they are but they brought it up and inch or two. I also have a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
HMMM well then unless its the steering gearbox the only thing changed was the tires I would say its looking like them. How much play is in your steering wheel? I assume wheel bearing units were checked.

The other thing you coudl do is if you know someone else with SD or X swap mount their wheels and take it for a spin and see what you get. If its smooth and straight you have your answer. You know its likely not the tires.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the centra matic wheel balancers that were on the truck if that makes a difference? Those were horrible. I could feel the tires go in and out of balance, it was weird. Not too much play in the wheel. The Goodyears helped a lot. Now the truck has the normal Excursion wander.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
LOLLOLLOLLOL Isn't sad that we have to talking in terms of normal wander when speaking Excursion.

When I pull the trigger on the next stage of my X's build up, which will hopefully be in the next 2-3 months if not sooner, I will be scrapping basically all the OEM steering parts and going to a full AGR Rock Ram Pro system. Its not cheap but in this case you get what you paid for. It has a much tighter and stronger gear box same goes for the pump and its feeds a hydraulic assist ram. Makes spinning the steering wheel even in mud with big tires a couple finger job and no more wobble and wander. I will be adding the moog adj shim camber pack IIRC. There was a thread on somewhere, I want to say on "thedeiselstop", that gave very specific instructions on how to have the front end alignment setup. Everything I have researched on this system says it will be a night and day differnce in the steering and tracking when the front end is setup correct. The ford spec are apparently so large for these that you can have bad tracking and still be "in spec"

Cary,

do you remember or have the those specs for the front end alignment?

I remember seeing it browsing thru thedieselstop it was in a thread by a guy that was having issues with wander etc and someone with seemingly extensive knowledge came on and explained exactly how to set it up . I thought I had bookmarked it but can't find it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would pass on the AGR stuff and go with PSC. I have tried several AGR pumps and have had poor results. Also you might want to contact Van @ Vanco about porting the Hydroboost unit so it will flow more oil.
Can you post the specs on your alighnment? I bet the caster is low.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to look for the sheet, it was all in the green so I figured it didn't matter much. I'll look for them and post if I found them.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I am looking for it. I spent a few hours the other day with no luck but I KNOW THE POST AND THREAD DOES EXIST. Have to find the damn thing:mad: Once I find it I will reproduce the post in its entirety with a link to the the thread. I do know that most of these trucks once broken in almost always need more adj for camber than is possible without shims or what not for ideal setup. The stock tolerances for specs is way to large to use it and get a good alignment from what I have read. I saw this truck lifted the other day the the wheel went so positive camber \ / you wondered how it ever could make it around turn without severe understeer.

I will check into the recommendations about the assisted ram. In looking at the various ones offering it They all seem to have there attractors and detractors.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The problem with the AGR is you have to cut up the stock P/S bracket to mount the pump and the bracket looses it strength and will crack from vibration. I would talk toe the guys @ Red head steering about the box. I put one on a Ex and after words you could turn the wheel sitting still with your foot on the brakes. Another thought is to talk to Van @ Vanco about porting the hydroboost to get better flow. This will free up some fluid for the gearbox also.
BTW i have a Vanco Hydroboost and PSC ram/box on my Ex and you can turn the 41's with 1 finger.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I will check those out. I want the hyd assisted ram for sure for the 38x15.5's.

BTW I have been looking hard into the front alignments and issues etc with the X's as well as all the SD with leafs and lets just say I am learning alot. I will post something once I get it all together. There are some specific specs and ways to set up these front ends. One thing for sure that I have seen basically all say. Wandering etc one of the first things to look at is sagging springs. Well we all know that right off the factory floor the cheap X's Mexico springs are already sagging so that is a big part of it. Also Caster is EXTREMELY important on all these solid axle leaf sprung front ends. A few things have suprised me as well such as how much the rake changes and the rear end can effect things like Caster settings. One thing I found for sure is the factory tolerance on spec for a "in spec" front alignment is HUGE. You can have a alignment completely in spec and track etc horribly. Not to mention how many shops hardily ever do alignments the correct way etc..

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
OK I got it finshed and posted. I started a new thread for it as its a subject in and of itself. Alignment Specs and Recommendations Kind of a long read but there was a lot of data so......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts