Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in the market for a set of tires here before too long. Trying to decide what I want to get. Right now I have a set of 265/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers on it. I hate these tires. They were new on the truck when I got it a year ago, but are already almost worn out after just 25,000 miles. They are terrible in any kind of mud at all.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kumho Road Venture MT? I really like the look of it, and have read alot of good reviews about it, but I've never seen where anyone has ran it. Was just curious as to the life of the tire, and how anyone likes it. Truck sees mostly highway miles, but I have needed something with more bite at times. Also want to go up to about a 33" tire. So what would I need to look for? 285/70?

If not that tire, I've also considered the usual brands. Toyo Open Country's, and Nitto Terra Grappler. Just can't make up my mind!

Opinions? Suggestions?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to put that these are going on the stock rims.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i have the nitto terra grappler great tires worthless in mud

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I've heard. The ones I have now are roughly the same tread pattern, but they won't pull themselves out of anything. I park my trailer at my dads down behind his house. If I go to get it after a rain, I have to lock in 4X4 just to get it to move. It's just sloppy mud right on top of the ground, less than 2" deep, but the truck will just sit there and spin. That's why I was considering a MT, even though I don't need it that often.

It's sad to need 4x4 in mud that you can walk through without getting your shoes muddy.

·
<---Peggy Sue
842 Posts
mastercraft courser m/t s.... i love them
and they arent very expansive either... my buddy just bought a set of 285s for around 600 dollars

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at those too. How is tread life? They looked really aggressive, which made me wonder if they would last very long. They aren't super noisy on the highway are they?

·
Still learning
577 Posts
I personally i have never had them but a lot of people on here speak very highly of Goodyear wrangler duratracs

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
BFG A/T's for my vote. everyone i know gets great mileage out of them and ive yet to see a truck with em get stuck unless it high centered.

·
<---Peggy Sue
842 Posts
i have around ten thousand miles on mine and are doin great!!! hardly even notice the tread wear and just started gettin noisy here in the last week or so but i love em... also when u put tires on use counter act balance beads... its what we use in the semis and they balance the tire for the life of it so you get better tire wear smoother ride and no damn weights on your wheels

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
bfg a/ts wear like iron but I prefer a mud terrain..ive had good experiance with bfg km1 m/ts and km2 m/ts, mastercraft m/ts and I love my dick cepec mud countries I have now..ive heard good things about the kuhmos also

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my brother ran a set of Kumho's on his F150 a few years ago and loved them. Granted, his were 20's, and a street tire, but he got great life out of them. I have a set of Kumho's on my wife's car, and they ride really well. That's why I was browsing their tires, and just came across their MT and loved the look of it.

Will a 305 work with the stock rim? At first I wanted to go with something around a 33", but now that I look at it I'm considering a 34-35". The leveling kit I installed raised my front about 3.5", so I replaced the factory 2" blocks with 4" blocks in the rear. Looks like I should be able to clear 35" no problem. At least it looks like I should be able to.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
oh yea 35's will be easy for you to clear

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so I want to run a 35".

What size should I be looking for to correspond with 35" tall? Can't be too wide though, going on stock rims. I've looked at 315/75R16... they measure at 34.6" tall, but I'm scared that will be too wide for the stock rim.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Well just look at the specs on the tire you end up decidind on and on their website or a book at the tire shop will say you can put on a rim that is X"-X" wide. SHOULD...........but that will not always be available

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How wide are the stock rims?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nevermind, just found it. 7" on the stockers. I was looking at a 315/75 (34.6" diameter), but they are too wide for stock rims. They are for 8-10" rims. I could use them, but they'd just wear out alot sooner, and I'd rather not pay that much for a tire that I'll just wear out prematurely.

A 305 is a little wider than a 285, but 305 shows at least a 7.5" rim. If I ran that, would I end up losing life out of them because the rim is too narrow? Right now looking at either a 305/70, or 285/75. Both are right around 33".

Right now I'm running a 265/75, which measures at 30" tall with a 8.5" tread width. This is measured with it on the truck, so the height may be a little taller than 30".

I'm not the brightest when it comes to tire sizes, as you can probably already tell.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
I don't know how aggressive you want to go overall, but I run a set of 315/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts and they are awesome. They are quite aggressive tho, so there is a bit of road noise, but its not bad especially with the radio on. I rip through anything with these tires, its hard to get stuck. Great looking tire as well.

I also run the BFG A/T's on my stock rims, 285/75R16. Another great tire. Less aggressive, but less road noise and overall great tire. They are 33" and fit fine of stock rims. Just depends what you want out of the tire. Good luck.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tire I am looking at is a Kumho Road Venture MT. Love the look of it, supposed to be pretty quiet on the highway, and still get good mileage. Wanted something closer to 35", but the only size they offer that tall is too wide for my stock rim.

·
Registered
257 Posts
cooper discoverer stt's get my vote...i've got right around 14xxxmi on mine and u can't tell it at all...i ran a 315/75/16 mastercraft courser m/t on my stock wheels for a year and half and they were wore prolly down to 1/2-3/4 tread..but at fully turn the stock wheels don't have enough offset to put the wide tire out and u will hit the leaf spring(may do the same on the 305's since the r considered a 12.50 tire also)

here is a pic off my stt's as of today...(14xxxmi give or take a couple miles)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts