Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a tire versus gear ratio table somewhere around, but I cannot find it.

Would somebody please post up the link?

I am trying to decide if I should use 430s or 411s w 37s.
I am leaning towards the 411s.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4.30's.

That's what I run, and my tires measure 36 inches.

What RPM do you run at 70?

W 38.5s and 456s I tach [email protected] in 3rd. When I had the 430s I would tach [email protected] in 3rd. I liked the 430s better than the 456s for DD, and towing also worked well because I could keep it in drive more.

Now that I'm thinking of dropping to a 37" tire I am trying to decide weather the 430s would be too low (more like the 38.5s w the 456s).

What is the stock RPM @ 70? Is this going off a 31" tall tire?

Thanks,

Sean

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
With 36's and 4.30's, I'm just a hair over 2000 RPM's at 70mph in O/D. IIRC I hit 2000 RPM's right at 68 mph. In stock form, most trucks hit 2000 RPM's at 70 mph, so it's pretty damn close to stock. Also my speedo has been corrected, and is dead on with the GPS in my truck.

I do race, tow, offroad, do highway driving, etc, and the gearing has been just fine for me.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
4.10's.........err, 4.11's (???)

Whichever it is, go with that ratio. If you need more gear than that to get around on freakin 37's, you need to park your prius.

4.30's with anything less than a 40" tire must be a joke. What a slow pile of sh*t that would be.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
4.10's.........err, 4.11's (???)

Whichever it is, go with that ratio. If you need more gear than that to get around on freakin 37's, you need to park your prius.

4.30's with anything less than a 40" tire must be a joke. What a slow pile of sh*t that would be.
LOL

Charles, you need to tow something... or drive up a real mountain pass... :poke: :poke:

Plus, in a truck that stands 7'10" at the top of the cab, I'm not interested in trying to hit 150 mph on the highway. :doh:

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
LOL

Charles, you need to tow something... or drive up a real mountain pass... :poke: :poke:

Plus, in a truck that stands 7'10" at the top of the cab, I'm not interested in trying to hit 150 mph on the highway. :doh:

You might need to make some power....

Cause I can do just about everything you listed, and aside from the 150mph.... I have plenty.

The "hills" near my house are 8%+

I tow MontEagle plenty, it's 6% for something like 6 miles. I always just rock the cruise control at 65mph (55mph speed limit) at my usual 20,000 or so lbs gross.

Other than that, I still tow our skid-steers around, although not as much as I used to now that we have the 550. I did put a gooseneck hitch in the truck a few months back though. Didn't do it because I don't tow.

lol.

If you need a 4.30+ gear for a 37" tire, you need more powah. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'm running 35's w/ 4.30's and love it. not very long legged, but it gets there in a hurry

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
You might need to make some power....

Cause I can do just about everything you listed, and aside from the 150mph.... I have plenty.

The "hills" near my house are 8%+

I tow MontEagle plenty, it's 6% for something like 6 miles. I always just rock the cruise control at 65mph (55mph speed limit) at my usual 20,000 or so lbs gross.

Other than that, I still tow our skid-steers around, although not as much as I used to now that we have the 550. I did put a gooseneck hitch in the truck a few months back though. Didn't do it because I don't tow.

lol.

If you need a 4.30+ gear for a 37" tire, you need more powah. Plain and simple.
More power at 1500 RPM's.

Hmm, other than running twins or water, how do you suggest the other 99% of PSD owners with lifts and big tires keep EGT's in check??? Other than constantly downshifting or gear hunting? :poke: Heck, on another forum there's a guy wondering why his EGT's are spiking while towing a 5000 lb trailer. He's running 37's and never changed his stock gearing. Now he has to downshift to 2nd just to go up a long hill with a 5000 lb load in tow. :confused:

I guess running at a proper RPM range is a big no-no now. After all, you preached for so long about how making big torque numbers too low in the RPM range is equating to having sex with your own sheep. But I guess lugging the engine is ok now, right.

Oh, and I lived in SC for several years, and drove my truck all over SC, NC, GA, TN, etc. Those aren't mountains. One more thing... while living out there, I also ran my truck with 36" tires and stock 3.73 gears. I'll give you a hint... it worked, but it was far from optimal for towing or even daily driving.

There you go Charles, that should give you plenty to play with. By the tone of your post, you looked bored. Maybe now you'll have something to keep you entertained for the afternoon. :postwhore2: :postwhore2: :postwhore2:

:D ;)

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
i'm running 35's w/ 4.30's and love it. not very long legged, but it gets there in a hurry
I run the same size tire with 3.73's.... I get "there" a whole lot faster..... and mine just keeps on pulling to 140+ if desired.

Plus, I have the bonus of not wanting to gouge my own ears out trying to drive down the interstate at a reasonable speed without spinning the piss out of the engine for no reason whatsoever.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
More power at 1500 RPM's.

Hmm, other than running twins or water, how do you suggest the other 99% of PSD owners with lifts and big tires keep EGT's in check??? Other than constantly downshifting or gear hunting? :poke: Heck, on another forum there's a guy wondering why his EGT's are spiking while towing a 5000 lb trailer. He's running 37's and never changed his stock gearing. Now he has to downshift to 2nd just to go up a long hill with a 5000 lb load in tow. :confused:

I guess running at a proper RPM range is a big no-no now. After all, you preached for so long about how making big torque numbers too low in the RPM range is equating to having sex with your own sheep. But I guess lugging the engine is ok now, right.

Oh, and I lived in SC for several years, and drove my truck all over SC, NC, GA, TN, etc. Those aren't mountains. One more thing... while living out there, I also ran my truck with 36" tires and stock 3.73 gears.

There you go Charles, that should give you plenty to play with. By the tone of your post, you looked bored. Maybe now you'll have something to keep you entertained for the afternoon. :postwhore2: :postwhore2: :postwhore2:

:D ;)

You do realize that you don't have to operate a truck in Overdrive all the time just because it's there right?

:lookaround:

We have multiple gears for a reason. The goal isn't to bang, bang, bang through all forward gears before you clear the intersection and then just wind the piss out of the truck for the next ____ miles in OD just trying to keep up with an old man on a little rascal rolling down the sidewalk on his way to bingo night.

And lastly..... I don't care if you put 5.89's in your rag you couldn't top one of the "hills" around my house anywhere in sight of me while pulling a trailer, or otherwise. 8% is 8%. Unless y'all have some kind of new math where you're at.

lol.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
You do realize that you don't have to operate a truck in Overdrive all the time just because it's there right?

:lookaround:
LOL, of course you won't lug the engine when you are in 3rd and cruising down the highway at 65mph. But not everyone has that luxury of always towing in those prime and optimum conditions.

But some people do appreciate all-around driveability, and not everyone cruises down the highway 100% of the time when towing a trailer. Try starting and stopping uphill with a load, or towing in traffic, or driving up a long/slow/winding backroad that has a steady 8% grade, and do it all the time on big assed tires and the wrong gearing. Fact is, EGT's will ALWAYS be higher in every situation EXCEPT driving empty on a flat highway. So I guess if your truck is nothing more than a highway queen, that's perfectly fine. For the rest of the folks who have to deal with traffic, hills, towing, etc... proper gearing and staying in an optimal RPM range makes a huge difference. Power be damned if you can't control the EGT's... and you can't if you are lugging the engine too often.

If someone wants to put big tires on, keep the stock gear ratio, then throw in a chip and hope for the best, by all means do it. I did it for years. Doesn't mean I liked it, and doesn't mean the transmission liked it either. It also didn't help with my EGT problem, especially when towing, and I couldn't cruise the highway all the time like you do. Problem got 10x worse when I moved to Colorado and had to deal with real altitude,much longer grades, worse traffic, etc.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
8% is 8%. Unless y'all have some kind of new math where you're at.
8% at 1000 ft elevation is WAY different than 8% at 9000 ft elevation.

Try it sometime. People who have done it, know what I'm talking about. ;)

I did tell you to come up to Denver for Truckfest..... :D

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
LOL, of course you won't lug the engine when you are in 3rd and cruising down the highway at 65mph. But not everyone has that luxury of always towing in those prime and optimum conditions.

But some people do appreciate all-around driveability, and not everyone cruises down the highway 100% of the time when towing a trailer. Try starting and stopping uphill with a load, or towing in traffic, or driving up a long/slow/winding backroad that has a steady 8% grade, and do it all the time on big assed tires and the wrong gearing. Fact is, EGT's will ALWAYS be higher in every situation EXCEPT driving empty on a flat highway. So I guess if your truck is nothing more than a highway queen, that's perfectly fine. For the rest of the folks who have to deal with traffic, hills, towing, etc... proper gearing and staying in an optimal RPM range makes a huge difference. Power be damned if you can't control the EGT's... and you can't if you are lugging the engine too often.

If someone wants to put big tires on, keep the stock gear ratio, then throw in a chip and hope for the best, by all means do it. I did it for years. Doesn't mean I liked it, and doesn't mean the transmission liked it either. It also didn't help with my EGT problem, especially when towing, and I couldn't cruise the highway all the time like you do. Problem got 10x worse when I moved to Colorado and had to deal with real altitude,much longer grades, worse traffic, etc.

I guess I can't make this clear enough.....

Run whatever gear you want. Umkay?

Then I'll leave my 3.73's and 35's just as they are, and hand you your ass at whatever task you wish to play your hand at. Umkay?

·
Banned
7,764 Posts

I guess I can't make this clear enough.....

Run whatever gear you want. Umkay?

Then I'll leave my 3.73's just as they are, and hand you your ass at whatever task you wish to play your hand at. Umkay?

Probably would have seen the same outcome if I went back to the 38R as a single. I'm lost as to why you think you can't get sh*t done with 3.73's and 35's. I used to run 37's on these gears. No problem. Towed 20,000+ gross a whole helluva lot.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
That extra power and running 35's on 3.73's...... how's that transmission of yours holding up???? :lookaround:

Charles said:
Probably would have seen the same outcome if I went back to the 38R as a single. I'm lost as to why you think you can't get sh*t done with 3.73's and 35's. I used to run 37's on these gears. No problem. Towed 20,000+ gross a whole helluva lot.
I do run a 38R as a single, and I have towed with both 3.73's and 4.30's, grossing the same weight. I've seen the difference on the pyro, and it's a big difference.... even when using that "magical" O/D button on the shifter...

Not sure how to make that any more clear either.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
That extra power and running 35's on 3.73's...... how's that transmission of yours holding up???? :lookaround:

I do run a 38R as a single, and I have towed with both 3.73's and 4.30's, grossing the same weight. I've seen the difference on the pyro, and it's a big difference.... even when using that "magical" O/D button on the shifter...

Not sure how to make that any more clear either.
Difference on the pyro? I guess when I was running 90+mph at 1050 degrees constant, with an absolute max of 1150 towing those loads I just don't see the point.

What, was I supposed to change gears, wind the piss out of the engine and reduce my ability to get the F on down the road just so I could run 900 degrees instead of 1000?

If you can't tow any load, even impractically large, with a 38R without even having the EGT gauge come into existence, then you can't tune a truck.

Since I just fired mine a few minutes ago, I'm gonna go enjoy my undergeared "sluggish" truck for a while. In the meantime, you keep telling yourself you need a 4.30 gear for a tire this size, and I'll just keep trying to figure out how to keep the same sized tire from ending up stuck all to the insides of my rear fenders running a 3.73 gear...

And I don't know what to call it, but all those years I was ___ing trailers all around with these same gears and 37's it sure didn't have any trouble getting on down the road.

I don't know what to call it, but it sure seemed like towing. Although you've made it clear it must not have been.

I'm off to "endure" my crappy gears out on the street now. The engine really bogs like crazy on each shift, but I manage somehow...

·
Registered
561 Posts
It likely has a lot to do with specific conditions of a given truck as well?
And tires used?
Lubes?

I dunno....

But our truck loves to hit 1200 empty on some hills. Pulling our 5000lb boat, or with 4000lb of water in the bed (water tank) it can get REALLY bad.
315/75R16 and 3.73's. 6000ft elevation average for operation. Don't usually go higher than 8000 or lower than 4000.
But our truck needs some help anyway.

I'd love to get 4.10's in it and a Gear Vendor's overdrive unit. Get your good acceleration, a bit lower EGT's on the hills, and can still drop your revs on the highway.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Difference on the pyro? I guess when I was running 90+mph at 1050 degrees constant, with an absolute max of 1150 towing those loads I just don't see the point.

What, was I supposed to change gears, wind the piss out of the engine and reduce my ability to get the F on down the road just so I could run 900 degrees instead of 1000?

If you can't tow any load, even impractically large, with a 38R without even having the EGT gauge come into existence, then you can't tune a truck.

Since I just fired mine a few minutes ago, I'm gonna go enjoy my undergeared "sluggish" truck for a while. In the meantime, you keep telling yourself you need a 4.30 gear for a tire this size, and I'll just keep trying to figure out how to keep the same sized tire from ending up stuck all to the insides of my rear fenders running a 3.73 gear...

And I don't know what to call it, but all those years I was ___ing trailers all around with these same gears and 37's it sure didn't have any trouble getting on down the road.

I don't know what to call it, but it sure seemed like towing. Although you've made it clear it must not have been.

I'm off to "endure" my crappy gears out on the street now. The engine really bogs like crazy on each shift, but I manage somehow...
It's about finding a balance.

And you aren't exactly the model of the "average PSD owner". Not many people tune their own twin turbo'ed, water sprayed, custom PCS tranny controlled truck running 35's on 3.73's....

Sure, I guess in your situation it works perfectly fine. But for 99.9999999% of the rest of the PSD owners, it doesn't.

And tuning only goes so far to make up for a seriously mis-matched tire/gear combo. You still have to consider the stress on the trans.... oh wait, aren't you dealing with that right now Charles??? :poke:

Hey, you're close enough on the East coast.... take your OBS offroad truck up to Tellico, and hit those trails in 4-hi only. Call me when your trans pukes, I'll bring the tow rope.

There is a very good reason for gear reduction. You argued your face off in another thread about it. :doh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts