Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to remove the drums to see what shape the rear brakes were in. Been having some rear hopp and think its warped drums. The drums are rested on. Tried to hammer on the maiting surface between the studs. No luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Take a can of wd-40 or something and spray the adjuster down. Back the shoes off , by the way spray around the stud holes too. then let it set alittle while, drink a beer. then it should come right off.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I use a rubber shot peen hammer that is about a five pounder. I hit the edge of the drum all the way around the drum several times with a decent amount of force. Then I hit the corner edge around where the drum rounds over from the mating surface to the shoe contact area. Then hit the mating surface area to straighten it out. It almost always comes off by wiggling it forward off the shoes then.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Spray BP blaster around where the hub and drum meet up let it sit a while, then back off the adjusters all the way. Then let the beating begin!

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
If you have a curved end wrecking bar you can apply pressure to help pop off the drum by prying off the leaf spring while hitting it with a hammer. I little grease on that lip helps to prevent that issue once you get it cleaned up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had to use a spud bar and sledge plus a big screwdriver at the same time, turns out my old drums were worn really bad from the P.O. and had a big lip inside catchin on the shoes not to mention the rust as well.
matt z

·
ohh bee ess
50 Posts
Spray BP blaster around where the hub and drum meet up let it sit a while, then back off the adjusters all the way. Then let the beating begin!
Bingo! The key is to back off the brakes...if you don't, it'll never come off because the shoes will be caught up against the rust lip on the inside of the drum (outer edge).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know to back off the brakes, but it was so rusted on that even some hammer beatings wouldn't budge it. I just said screw it and bought all new rear brakes today, that way if I dent then while giving them a massive beating it won't matter. I will hit them with a penetrating oil a few times in the morning then comense the beatings!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts