Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to replace my rear parking brake shoes, the other day. I was having trouble removing the rear disc rotors. Ant suggestions on the procedures.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
how far have you gotten into the job, its relatively simple. I would imagine what the rotor is getting hung up on is the parking brake pads inside, if you can spin the star wheel and pull the pads back the rotor should pop right off no problem, otherwise it will be much of a fight.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Usually rust or road grime is what holds rotors on spray some pb blaster around the hub let it soak a little and hit the hub part of rotor with a hammer

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't get to the star wheel to tun it down (close). Using a large hammer and lots of penetrating oil. Still working at it.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Block the front tires and release the parking brake.

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
keep bashing on them with the hammer then I guess :shrug:

The times I have taken mine off I didn't have to mess with the parking brake shoes, just some good motivation from a 5lb sledge, first time was only a 16oz hammer :doh:

All that is holding them on the studs would be grime/rust around the studs and mounting surface and the parking brake shoes so don't worry too much about beating on them. I supposed you could maybe use a pry bar against the caliper mounting bracket, but thinking its just gonna be some brute force to get them to come off. Worst case the inside where the shoes wear has a small lip thats holding the rotor to the axle, but the rotor would be wiggling if that is the case.

·
Dirty Outlaw
55 Posts
i took a 2x4 positioned it at the rear of the rotor extending all the way past the other wheel and bashed on them till they gave

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it. Hammer and penetrating oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts