Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra set of factory taillights that i'd like to smoke. Is there a right or wrong way to do it?

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
I did it on mine...just pop them off the truck and clean them up real well. I used VHT Niteshades Paint to smoke all of my lenses. I picked it up at Oreilly's for about 7 bucks. Put a couple coats on and then a coat of clear and you're set.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey stroke, do ya have any pics?

I also want to do mine........

·
Registered
94 Posts
Question about the clear. I tried to clear mine after and it gave it an orange peel look. Am I doing something wrong? I ended up stripping it off and redoing the lights with just the tint. Looks pretty good, but not very shiny.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Question about the clear. I tried to clear mine after and it gave it an orange peel look. Am I doing something wrong? I ended up stripping it off and redoing the lights with just the tint. Looks pretty good, but not very shiny.
what was the temp when you put the clear on? if it's too cold, it will spider and look like crap. one of my side mirror lenses looks like butthole because I got impatient and put it on when it was below 60.

·
99 superduty on 22.5
147 Posts
i like that i think im fixin to do that to my taillight. i need to change out the mirrors. i have the 99.5 so i dont have the lighted mirrors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
what was the temp when you put the clear on? if it's too cold, it will spider and look like crap. one of my side mirror lenses looks like butthole because I got impatient and put it on when it was below 60.
It was warm in my basement workshop. Scared to try again. Maybe I will tho. Can they be smoothed out if it comes out rough? Here is how they are currently.

·
Joe
278 Posts
How did you pop your lenses off of the mirrors? i want to do this to mine i just dont want to screw anything up?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
how many coats of the vht are you guys putting on... are the lights shining through good at night?
I did my 3rd brakelight and put 5 coats on it and 1 clear coat.. you can see the light just fine thru it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put 3. They are dark but the light shines thru good, day or night. I did 4 the first attempt and they were very dark. I don't feel like getting rear ended. Too many idiots not paying attention...

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
How did you pop your lenses off of the mirrors? i want to do this to mine i just dont want to screw anything up?
i didn't take the mirror lenses off...i just taped around them.

I put 2 solid coats of VHT and 2 coats of clear on my lenses. the brake lights still shine thru fine but the back up lamps dimmed quite a bit. that along with tinted windows doesn't help so I put a spotlight in the trailer wire plug.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would just want to put like 1 coat just to make it look a little darker. I want to keep my reverse lights the same.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
you won't notice much with 1 coat. I'd say 2 and you'll be good. You could always tape off the reverse lights too.....
I feel dumb LOL i cant believe i never thought of that. Is it hard to get the clear coat on?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
I think mine are 3 coats Vht, 3 clear....but you don't have to worry how dark they are if you have a 60" line of fire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts