Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next week or so I am going to get my back windows tinted 5% (legal for a truck/suv) and can't decide on what to get for the front. 50% is legal here as you all know but 50 looks like almost no tint at all. I was thinking maybe I could get away with 35? 20 would be ideal but you can obviously tell its illegal. My old truck had 39% on the front (I bought it like that) and I was ticketed once, but only because it was a DUI check-point. I never actually got pulled over for it. Basically I'm just curious what % tint you guys have on your front windows and if you have ever been ticketed for it. Thanks

·
546 Posts
Well I have 11% on the front and have got two tickets. The back doors have 20% and when I got pulled over the cop told me that was not legal. That the two back glasses couldn't be under 35% ......Didn't sound right but I said whatever,didnt get a ticket for it. But i herd a while ago that there are going to allow 35% up front Idk about the back two glasses, but that's hear say.....

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
Ive heard they are talkin about changing the front from 50 to 35...BUT it hasnt happened yet. I have 35 all around in my truck and havent gotten pulled over or ticketed once for it. I think it all realy depends on the attitude of the police in your area

·
Registered
150 Posts
The laws in Minnesota are the same (50%) on side windows...However I have 20% on my sides... I have a buddy who is an eye doctor and if you have them write you a note saying that you have "photophobia" sensitivity to light, you can get away with the tint...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you sure on the 5% for the back windows? I thought it was 50% front and 35% rears last time I checked.

Either way, I have 20% all around on my Trans Am and have never had a problem. It honestly just depends on the cop that day. Always got thumbs up from the ones around here, even sitting right next to a motorcycle cop with the windows up.

Personally 20% was plenty dark in that car and made seeing at night, especially on dark streets or in the rain, very hard. Trying to see street names was very hard without putting the window down in dark neighborhoods at night.

Also, did you leave your windows up at the checkpoint when you got ticketed?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
he is actually right and it's not 5% for the rear it's actually as dark as you want in the rear....I'm actually double 5'ing mine in the rear with 5% in the front and 35 on the windshield....right now I have 5% all around and haven't been pulled yet for it....

Chad

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just found this. The truck portion is where you get around the 35%. I underlined the exception we get. For cars, it is still 35% on back side windows.

"Virginia law prohibits vehicles from operating on the highways of the Commonwealth with sunshading materials, which lower the light transmittance levels below 50% on the front side windows and 35% on the rear side window or windows. The statute applies to ALL vehicles, not only those registered in Virginia . However, 46.2-1052 of the Code of Virginia does not prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent. A multipurpose passenger vehicle would be considered as any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than 10 persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use.

In 1993, the Department of State Police repealed its regulations relating to the inspection of sunshading material. Currently, the light transmittance levels of motor vehicle tint film are not considered during a safety inspection; however, sunshading is routinely monitored by all law enforcement in Virginia .

You may review the current Virginia window tint law at
Virginia Code

Thank you for contacting the Safety Division.

Sergeant Robert L. Evans – Virginia Department of State Police
Safety Division – Motor Vehicle Inspection
7700 Midlothian Turnpike – Richmond VA 23235"

Here is the link of the guys full transcript with Sgt. Evans Transcript

Pretty cool actually. I had never looked into the law for trucks since I just figured it was the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just get what you want and if there is ever a question tell them you had them tinted as dark as you could legally go.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies

Sniper32, I heard that as well. Hopefully they decide to change it.

F-117HWK, My windows were halfway down when I pulled through the checkpoint. I should have rolled them all the way down but honestly it was so light I figured it was legal. I was really surprised when he told me it was 39%.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Just found this. The truck portion is where you get around the 35%. I underlined the exception we get. For cars, it is still 35% on back side windows.

"Virginia law prohibits vehicles from operating on the highways of the Commonwealth with sunshading materials, which lower the light transmittance levels below 50% on the front side windows and 35% on the rear side window or windows. The statute applies to ALL vehicles, not only those registered in Virginia . However, 46.2-1052 of the Code of Virginia does not prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent. A multipurpose passenger vehicle would be considered as any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than 10 persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use.

In 1993, the Department of State Police repealed its regulations relating to the inspection of sunshading material. Currently, the light transmittance levels of motor vehicle tint film are not considered during a safety inspection; however, sunshading is routinely monitored by all law enforcement in Virginia .

You may review the current Virginia window tint law at
Virginia Code

Thank you for contacting the Safety Division.

Sergeant Robert L. Evans – Virginia Department of State Police
Safety Division – Motor Vehicle Inspection
7700 Midlothian Turnpike – Richmond VA 23235"

Here is the link of the guys full transcript with Sgt. Evans Transcript

Pretty cool actually. I had never looked into the law for trucks since I just figured it was the same.
Hate to be stupid but i need some help.

Is this pretty much saying that the rear side windows and back window can be as dark as anyone wants ?

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
kyle i think its saying that in the case of SUVs the back side (cargo area) windows as well as the rear window can be as dark as you want, but in the case of pick ups its just the rear window.
But that is just my interpretation

·
Registered
340 Posts
Basically it looks like any vehicle classified as multiperson and possible offroad use/built on a truck chassis (both of which our trucks would qualify for) rear side windows and rear panel glass has no tint restrictions. If your truck is the one in your avatar though, your side windows are still limited to 50% since its not a rear side window (IE a crew cabs rear door windows).

If you check out the link in there, the guy basically asks that question directly and the officer replies answering your question.

Actually Ill just post it:

"From: connor hendricks [mailto:**************************]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 6:28 PM
To: Evans, Robert L., Sgt.
Subject: RE: Military personnel/vehicle safety and window tint

Sgt. Evans,

Are you telling me that a first generation Dodge Durango/Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 is allowed to have tint on the rear windows below 35%? It is both of a body-on-frame construction and has a part-time 4wd system with both 4 High and 4 Low modes. However, it does carry passengers and would be an everyday driven vehicle on public highways.

Please help me on clarifying this. Thank you in advance.

Connor Hendricks

--- On Tue, 6/17/08, Evans, Robert L., Sgt. <*****************************> wrote:

From: Evans, Robert L., Sgt. <*****************************>
Subject: RE: Military personnel/vehicle safety and window tint
To: **************************
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 4:14 AM

Mr. Hendricks,

The vehicle you described would be considered a multipurpose passenger vehicle. These vehicles are unusually SUVs, pick-up trucks, and vans.

Sergeant Robert L. Evans
Virginia Department of State Police
Safety Division - Motor Vehicle Inspection
7700 Midlothain Turnpike
Richmond , VA 23235"

I would be interested to see what most of the new SUV's and trucks are coming out with stock these days, because they sure seem darker than 35% which would confirm this. Anyone have a cop friend or a light meter to check their stock rear windows?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I knew my standard cab had to be 50%, even though it will be 35% with either 50% or 35% on the windshiled when the cummins goes in it.

·
PSN Apprentice
59 Posts
I had 5% on all windows and 50% on my windshield of my silverado, never had any issues with police.
I have yet to tint my f250. I want to say VA just changed front windows to 35%.

·
PSN Veteran
759 Posts
from factory my rear windows are 20% I found this out from going to rudys in march. and I had my front tinted to match the rear and they are 17%. I've never been pulled over in va for tint in the last 3yrs. But I'm getting ready to make an appointment with the eye dr. and tell them that I get headaches from the sunlight and get a slip to take to the dmv so I can tint my entire truck 5% and my windshield 35% and it be legal for all my registered vehicles

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
^^^^CHEATER hahahaha

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
from factory my rear windows are 20% I found this out from going to rudys in march. and I had my front tinted to match the rear and they are 17%. I've never been pulled over in va for tint in the last 3yrs. But I'm getting ready to make an appointment with the eye dr. and tell them that I get headaches from the sunlight and get a slip to take to the dmv so I can tint my entire truck 5% and my windshield 35% and it be legal for all my registered vehicles
I just went to the DMV website and found the form. Even with the doctors signature, you can still only have 35% front and 70% windshield.

I also looked up the legislation on VA changing the front from 50 to 35, and the bill has been shelved. Basically they just put it off and will probably never look at it again

·
PSN Veteran
759 Posts
I just went to the DMV website and found the form. Even with the doctors signature, you can still only have 35% front and 70% windshield.

I also looked up the legislation on VA changing the front from 50 to 35, and the bill has been shelved. Basically they just put it off and will probably never look at it again
I just read that too. I think I'll just go down to 15% windows and 35% 50% windshield. I haven't been mess with for tint except in nc and the state inspectors don't really pay attention to window tint. Or I'll just register in Iowa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts