Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing so MORE reading about oils. I'm going to try out the Mobil 10W30 since I have found a local oil company that can get the oil. It's not much of a cost savings overall. It's more about seeing if it makes any real difference in the motor. I'm a firm believer in your motor tells you what works and what doesn't work. I don't really care to run samples since there's TONS of posts about 10w30 oils doing good in the 6.0L. The link below is off the Mobil site.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/heavydutyengineoils_products_engine-oils_mobil-delvac-elite-10w30.aspx

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,356 Posts
Why not be really brave and try the 5W-30 fully synthetic oil .........

It even meets the Ford WSS-M2C171-E standard

Diesel Engine Oil | Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30

As far as the 10W30 goes, what difference in your motor are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the girl and she said it didn't look like it was available in their system. When I get the 10w30 I'm going to see if she can get more info. I really was price hunting to see what those Delvac versions cost. I was surprised to find the 10w30 at $69 a case of 4 gallons, with no surprise the ESP 5w40 rang up at $136 a case. I'd bet the 5w30 would be right there as well. I'm going to press her to get the info and I'll try it out once it comes in.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,356 Posts
I was interested in the 5W30, but since I bought 30 gallons of TDT at $13 a gallon, I probably won't be using anything else for awhile. I have no doubts you will like the 10W30, but not so convinced that you will notice a difference. You definitely have had good luck w/ the 5W40!

One thing I have noticed w/ the Mobil Delvac 1 that I am currently using is that my ccv filter does NOT accumulate any oil like it has with all the other 5W40's I have tried. It definitely has a lower volatility. I will have to do some research on it and the 10W30's.

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
I to was curious if anybody has run this or not, I seen it in wal mart last time I got stuff to do my oil change and noticed it says heavy duty diesel oil. Since its not synthetic oil will it hurt anything to try it since what I'm using now is full synthetic? I was always told to not go back after u use it once

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the whole "don't switch around" is old school rat rod guys from back in the day. Seems as the conventional oils would built up sluge around seals. As they used the synthetics the sludge would clean away or synthetics would eat at the gaskets causing leaks.

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
Yea makes sense, I'm gonna try this out too and see how it works, I'm ordering the amsoil 10w30 and see how that does for me.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it carries the correct rating. CJ-4 is what you need correct?

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
I'm not positive on that, I seen that a guy on the org had ran it with good results. All I can tell you is its the Amsoil ACD 10w30 diesel synthetic

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Mobil 1 10w30 that I picked up says " for gasoline engines" Does it really matter? Does the "For turbo diesels" have another additive?
I picked it up because it was on sale for $23 a jug.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you need to find a CJ-4 spec'd oil. Maybe some reading on BOBISTHEOILGUY is in order to get you the best answer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I run all 3 of mine on motorcraft 10w30. it is more suited for my climate year round. the 6.0 seems to love it and has 280k miles on her. both 7.3's start esasier and run smoother with it. they are also high mileage. it seems that the 7.3's tend to seep a little more with it though.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems as I need to keep calling them to get this stuff in. Different girl different story....MAYBE I'll just drop in.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm about to lower my morals AND standards if I have to to get them to order the oil. LMAO

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd skip it. I haven't read anything good about RP in our trucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oils that are rated for diesel have a higher zinc content than gasoline engine oils. The zinc acts as an anti-wear agent. They had to take almost all the zinc out of the gasoline engine oils because it will damage the cat if it gets in there. I would probably stick with diesel rated oil myself.

Rotella has a non-syn 10w30 part #550019920 for a gallon.
Rotella has a syn-blend 10w30 part #550019908 for a gallon.
Liqui Moly has a syn 5w30 part #LM3707 for a gallon. Says for diesel cars with particulate filters.
Liqui Moly has a syn 5w30 part #LM2038 for a liter. This one has the Ford spec# WSS M2C 917A.

That was what I could find in our chemical catalog here at NAPA anyhow. Hope this helps.
OBTW I work at a NAPA with 20 year exp. If ya have a non Ford parts question just hit me up. Might even be able to swing some sort of discount for members :)

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The RP 5w30 is not rated for diesel. You should be using a CJ-4 rated oil or whatever your manual says. BTW I got my Elite 10w30 today from a distributor. Ended up at a different company picking up two cases and a 5 gallon pail to use for the draining. Expect a short term results post by mid-March or so maybe sooner. Long term running I'll make a different post.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts