Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going with 285-75-16 tires on my stock 16" wheels The Destinations are $20 more so price is not an issue, I rarely go off road, so pretty much for looks.
Stock suspension.
Destination MT

Or
Kumho MT KL71

I have had the Destination's on a previous truck and loved them, although I really like the Kumho's look but have never owned them.

What do you guy's think? Here is a pic of the truck

·
Registered
222 Posts
They are both great looking tires.
I put a set of kuhmo tires on Wifey's car, and spent over $200 trying to balance them, it wasn't until I put them on the second road force balance machine that I was told that 2 of them were out of spec (Ie:defective).
Funny thing is: My final decision was between the Kuhmo ecsta platinum, or the Firestone firehawk (same two brands your debating) I wish I had bought the Firestone tires, and will next time. I will also buy the tires from a brick/mortar store instead of tirerack. I went to 3 different places for mounting, paid premium prices because I didn't buy from the installer, and had to pay to have the 2 defective tires taken off and then mount/roadforce.
Sorry for the rant, let us know how those Firestone's ride as that is probably my next truck tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the the feedback. I will post some photos, when I make up my mind.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You live in Illinois, get something with siping. thats what grips on ice. Look at something like the duratrack that goodyear, I think, makes. it is more MT than AT with lots of siping. Shouldn't be to loud on the road and great in the ice and snow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
even though u said u dont go offroad much if u do they'll get ya where ya need to go, i had the firestones on a 2000 ranger 4x4 and those things walked offroad for a non aggressive mt, i loved em, truck was stolen:mad::doh:

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Get the Kuhmo's Ive seen them go 50k or better with rotation. They handle great and are pretty quite as well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you stuck on those two choices?
Yes, Pretty much. I have needed tires/wanted tires for the last 25k miles.
I have looked at a ton of tires. These 2 options are the ones I keep going back to. I had the Destinations before and they were great.

It's good to hear about the Kumho's will last with rotation. Just looks like there is not as deep of tread compared to the Destinations.

I kind of want to go to a Blackwall tire. I have heard of Blackwall Dest's but can only find White outline lettering. (black truck)

I can't make up my mind!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You might want to consider the
Nitto Trail Grapplers
They have had great reviews for aggressive tread tire. I just did a set on a 1500 Dodge

For the weather conditions in IL i would steer to wards either the
Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac
Or the
Hankook Dynapro ATM

I have a set of ATM in that size i am selling with 80% tread left if you are interested.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would look for something with more siping if your looking for a tire thats going to give you good all-season traction. I would have to give a vote towards the Duratracs. I love mine. Just my $.02

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
I vote Kuhmo's also!!! Very hot tire and I too will be buying a set for the Hummer next month.....You will love them

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you never go offroad why not get an A/T with a mileage warranty?
Have heard good things about the Hankook Dynapro ATM, and it has a 50K mile warranty

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
I got an extra set of wheels and put on Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar for the lake effect snow we get in Chardon,Ohio. Put the street balognies on that came with the truck for summer. The MTR's have a dense center section that aids longevity. Didn't take much to balance them, excellent manners and traction with just the right amount of road noise to keep the deer scattering.275-70-18

·
Registered
900 Posts
my vote goes to kumhos I work at a shop and and do alot of tires and most the people around here live on gravel and nothing holds up better than them and from all the tires ive ever balanced the kumhos and hankook and toyo tires are the easiest to balance out and last the longest ive got clost to 35,000 on a set of the same size kumhos your looking at and they still have alot of life left in them. The firestones are a great tire i dont have much experiance with the set you listed but there transforces last forever people around here dont really have goood luck with goodyears they tend to chip really bad even the really expensive ass ones with high milage warrenty im really not sure why that is

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
my vote goes to kumhos I work at a shop and and do alot of tires and most the people around here live on gravel and nothing holds up better than them and from all the tires ive ever balanced the kumhos and hankook and toyo tires are the easiest to balance out and last the longest ive got clost to 35,000 on a set of the same size kumhos your looking at and they still have alot of life left in them. The firestones are a great tire i dont have much experiance with the set you listed but there transforces last forever people around here dont really have goood luck with goodyears they tend to chip really bad even the really expensive ass ones with high milage warrenty im really not sure why that is
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind when I need to re-up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts