Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 38r is blowing oil after 5 years/65,000 miles of service. Do I gain anything by getting something different? Or do I get another 38r? Truck is a daily driver/weekend hauler and needs to be able to tow to max GVWR.

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
Have it rebuilt -- cheaper than another one, unless you just want something different or can't wait for the down time. Still have your stocker?? Too bad it can't be DIY'ed -- that's one thing I like about mine. It starts blowing oil, I rebuild it for a C-note....

·
Dieselis' Maximus
113 Posts
That sucks, I'm gonna look at an modded H2E when mine goes.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
My 38r is blowing oil after 5 years/65,000 miles of service. Do I gain anything by getting something different? Or do I get another 38r? Truck is a daily driver/weekend hauler and needs to be able to tow to max GVWR.
Check your CCV, make sure it is clear. The oil seals on the 38r are very sensitive to oil pressures and crank case pressures.

You know how much I fought with mine, but its on my wifes rig to this day. If it sits idling for a longer period of time it will smoke blue for a mile or so, but then clears up.

I really love my modded H2e, but for towing I don't think you can beat the 38r... much as that pains me.LOL

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
How much for the worn out one?

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your CCV, make sure it is clear. The oil seals on the 38r are very sensitive to oil pressures and crank case pressures.

You know how much I fought with mine, but its on my wifes rig to this day. If it sits idling for a longer period of time it will smoke blue for a mile or so, but then clears up.

I really love my modded H2e, but for towing I don't think you can beat the 38r... much as that pains me.LOL
CCV was plugged a few months ago.(probably for 200 miles). It's wide open now. Thanks for the towing input. Down here in the flat lands I'm not too concerned but moving back to WA, I'll definitely see some hills.

Would I benefit by using a 1.15 housing or sticking with the 1.0?

444-4D, PM sent

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I prefer the 1.15 for everything...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
H2e..modded:whs: or std..PM me if you would like prices

Cary

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Give me a call tomorrow at the shop, I will take your old one and get you a brand new one for the price of a rebuild with a brand new warranty.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I dont know why David believes in that turbo so much but he is the only one in the industry that went to bat for me when I had issues...

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
I dont know why David believes in that turbo so much but he is the only one in the industry that went to bat for me when I had issues...
Take the amount of those turbos that I have sold myself now add up all the problem turbos mentioned and you would have less than a 5% problem.
Now look at what we do with those turbos(good percentage of those are pushed beyond their intended use), in all likely hood actual factory defect are probably less that 2%.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
You da man for that one dave

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Not to derail and open old wounds ...
But I will anyway.

What happend to the gt38r being full of surge joe?
Is the modded 66 laggy

I. Was lookin at a modded h2e as my next turbo since my early bird needs new mounts anyway ?

For joe of all people to say that is saying something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts