Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

after this recent cold, it seems that my truck doesn't turn over as fast as it should. although the two interstate batteries are about a year old, the truck seems to benefit greatly from having a booster applied to the system and then it spins nicely.

the truck is 14 yrs old and the cables look it. i can go oem for positive, start feed and solenoid and maybe napa or such for the negatives.

what are people using for replacement/upgrades for cabling?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Subscribe

I could surely use some too. Out of my 4 connectors, only one of the bolts can actually be turned to tighten or loosen them; I want to replace them before I get them stuck on one of the terminals one day.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Grab some quality cable, crimps and some free time and make your own

2005 F350 CCLB FX4

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
$140 for all of it from FORD.
I needed starter cable. Bought a Walmart or auto parts store generic 0/2 awe cable around 72" I believe. ToolManGary cut it to length, installed a huge copper ring terminal that he crimped, soldiered, then heated it up to put a 90* bend in so it attached to the starter correct. It was then attached to the bolt on the factory terminal junction.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I say make your own. you can even get better cable that is more flexible and will hold up better. I think its worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I didnt replace my battery leads, they are still good. I did however make a custom buss bar setup so I could have a solid positive and ground to hook up all my aux. lights, relays, and any other aftermarket item requiring 12 volts. (Keeps clutter off the battery posts.) When I did that I used welding cable, Ill see if I can get a picture or some more info when I get home. I think I still have a bit left over.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
When my battery positive clamps went bad I cut off the old ones really close to the clamp and drilled a hole on the flat part of the metal left there. Got 2 marine style battery terminals with the wing nuts and swapped out the wing nuts for self locking nuts. Applied them threw the hole I drilled and it works great even after 4 years but Id like to make all new wires as there 12 years old and pretty brittle.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It seems like going to the military style would be easier. Then its just a simple crimping of cables, correct? Mine have not failed me but I have those lead caps on top of the terminals for the last year for a good tight fit...I imagine failure is imminent.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
The negative cables are pretty straight forward. When I had issues, it was in the connector on the pass side bat, positive lead. I just replaced it from Ford for like $80 for the positive cable.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
The negatives are pretty simple but the positive is a bit more to it to get good, solid connections. I dont have any problems at all just would like to make new good ones so I know there changed as I hate being stranded due to something stupid like a battery cable and such. Plus I like creating a better then factory desighn whenever it can be done. My pass side positive was the problem child years ago then I switched that one to the marine clamp and all has been good and looking for a new project for this spring so the pos cable will be one.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Companies that put in those punk-azz fender buzzing sound systems use real nice clamps, some even have a digital voltage indicator built into them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
49 Posts
try custombatterycables.com the best battery cables out there period!.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go to Rockauto parts and you can order the whole cable set up and it is much cheaper then ford. It was called starter wire I believe and will come like it does from Ford.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What gauge is the standard factory size as id like to go up one size?
Factory is like 0/1 awg I believe. I was starting for a year with a el cheapo 2 gauge cable. Now have a awt 2 gauge cable 0/2?.
Spins fast as hell, no additional amperage draw.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like to use welding cable because it's easy to get locally, it's flexible and it has a thick, durable jacket. Crimp and solder the terminals, which are available on ebay if you can't find good ones locally. Obviously look for heavy copper / nickle plated terms (not the flimsy China gold stuff). I like 1/0, it's thick but still easy to work with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agree with Van, welding wire is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts