Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try to tighten up the rear diff? Did it help at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
sounds scary, better grease pen it to get the gear mesh right. too tight and things will be glowing

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
:whs: If u tighten it up it might cause overheating and premature failure.

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
The fluid you ad is friction modifier, the more you add the easier it slips. It is used to prevent chatter of the l/s clutches.

The factory l/s unit can be tightened up (shimmed) with the possible side effect of faster clutch wear. It helps, but if I was going to all the trouble I would be installing a detroit locker. Factory unlock specs on the holding strength of the l/s is only 20 ft-lb, which is minimal at best, some are set up tighter from the factory by accident.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I played the "tighten it up" game a bunch of times and it's just a waste of time. First I tried to thicken up the shims, little to no difference. I then added a extra clutch spring to each side, this helped a little but not much. Ended up with a Detroit locker just like ALL my other truck. That 10.5 L/S is a waste of time. Sorry!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, thanks.

·
NOT AT THE TABLE CARLOS
232 Posts
I played the "tighten it up" game a bunch of times and it's just a waste of time. First I tried to thicken up the shims, little to no difference. I then added a extra clutch spring to each side, this helped a little but not much. Ended up with a Detroit locker just like ALL my other truck. That 10.5 L/S is a waste of time. Sorry!

:whs: without a doubt, got a locker from Sean and will not settle for anything less.

·
PSN Tool
761 Posts
This may be my next mod. The stock LS rear is a joke w/ the added ponies and torque. My only concern is how brutal is the D. locker when turning?

·
Registered
299 Posts
That rear L/S doesn't impress me at all. I've got a nice one-wheel-peel out in front of my house :( My Cobra lights up BOTH sides like it should

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
With the one wheel peal i heard adding traction bars can make it go away. my buddy put them on his 6 leaker and it lights them both up now.

·
PSN Tool
761 Posts
Never heard of that as a cure. Tractions bars didn't help my rear light both wheels. The stock LS rear is easily over powered w/ the aftermarket tuning. Maybe its just my rear,(doubtful) and frictions are baked? If they are I think I'd rather just get a Locker and be done w/ it instead of having to nurse the stock rear.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Its just a idea but ive seen it work for my buddy pretty shocking.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Never heard of that as a cure. Tractions bars didn't help my rear light both wheels. The stock LS rear is easily over powered w/ the aftermarket tuning. Maybe its just my rear,(doubtful) and frictions are baked? If they are I think I'd rather just get a Locker and be done w/ it instead of having to nurse the stock rear.
I've got a LS rear(factory) dually and it lights both sides easy!! I've only got 16,500 ml. on it though..

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've got a LS rear(factory) dually and it lights both sides easy!! I've only got 16,500 ml. on it though..
There is a BIG difference between the 10.50 Ford Sterling axle found in the SRW trucks and the Dana 80 found in your dually. The Dana L/S found in your Dana 80 actually works!

·
Registered
521 Posts
There is a BIG difference between the 10.50 Ford Sterling axle found in the SRW trucks and the Dana 80 found in your dually. The Dana L/S found in your Dana 80 actually works!
AAAaahhhhhh....

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Get the Detroit Tru-Trac.

·
Registered
879 Posts
For the front or back? And lubeowner, do you know of a driveshaft company in the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa area that upgrades driveshafts and crap? I thought I saw you mention it in another post somewhere.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
For the front or back? And lubeowner, do you know of a driveshaft company in the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa area that upgrades driveshafts and crap? I thought I saw you mention it in another post somewhere.
Back. I know of at least three trucks around here that run or ran them in the back of their pulling trucks and to date I have never seen one fail.

Driveline in Dubuque, Iowa. He builds most of the drive shafts for the pulling trucks around here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts