Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas? We are getting what sounds like a lifter noise on TWO trucks at the shop right now. They are both identical noises. I read the TSB from Ford that says there is a noise that is normal, however I find it very hard to believe that this is normal. It is very loud. It sounds like a lifter not pumping up. One of the trucks we had the valve covers off and checked all the rocker arms, ran a compression test, and found nothing. It is very hard to convince myself and our customers that this is normal. Has there been any lifter failures? Is that a possibility? I'd love to get some feedback on this if anyone has any. Thanks in advance!

·
6.4 Stroker
147 Posts
Does anyone have any ideas? We are getting what sounds like a lifter noise on TWO trucks at the shop right now. They are both identical noises. I read the TSB from Ford that says there is a noise that is normal, however I find it very hard to believe that this is normal. It is very loud. It sounds like a lifter not pumping up. One of the trucks we had the valve covers off and checked all the rocker arms, ran a compression test, and found nothing. It is very hard to convince myself and our customers that this is normal. Has there been any lifter failures? Is that a possibility? I'd love to get some feedback on this if anyone has any. Thanks in advance!
Mine has done this since new. REALLY loud ticking. I posted a video of it somewhere around here.

·
6.4 Stroker
147 Posts
Here is the thread I started with a video of what my "tick" sounds like in my truck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my truck, they replaced all sorts of sh!t. Turned out to be one of the lobes on the cam was really worn.. Just a thought

·
<<< just like that......
810 Posts
Yes, we see a lot of drive train failures. Mainly lifters, then they wipe the lobe then smoke the pushrod.

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we see a lot of drive train failures. Mainly lifters, then they wipe the lobe then smoke the pushrod.
I assume you mean valve train.

I think we will pull an oil sample on this truck. If its wiping the lobe on the cam then there should be metal in the sample. IDK what else to do.

·
bring the chain
1,344 Posts
I assume you mean valve train.

I think we will pull an oil sample on this truck. If its wiping the lobe on the cam then there should be metal in the sample. IDK what else to do.
ive seen the rollers on the lifters on a few truck stall,and it grinds the roller flat,then takes the lobe out.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Would this show in a relative compression test with IDS,if the lifter or cam is worn?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If somehow there was a bent rocker arm holding a valve open a little bit it could cause low compression. But never seen that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts