Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 has been sitting for over a month due to a really strange thumping noise. It started off as a slight thump, and has progressed to an all out "hammer hitting a sheet of steel" thump. It starts off slow, and progressively gets faster as speed increases, and only makes the thump when in gear and I let out on the clutch, as soon as I push the clutch in, the thump stops. I'm tired of driving the 2wd Chevy back-up truck and wanna get my big truck fixed, so any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Don't buy it, mod it!
37 Posts
You got a 2 piece flywheel? Kinda sounds like what I've heard they sound like when the springs start breaking. Mines got the 1 piece replacement and had it when I got it so I don't have any experience with them. Wish I could help more. Later Whit

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not such, mine has had replacement clutch put in it before I bought it, I was thinking possibly the clutch, but I've heard everything from the clutch to the tranny, U-joint, rear-end, there's just SOOOO many things that could be causing this problem, anyone know a good way to test the truck to kind of narrow it down?

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a hair when it starts thumping, but nothing really violent

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It is either the pilot bearing or the throw out bearing. Try applying slight pedal pressure on the clutch pedal and see if it goes away or gets better. That is a good indicator of a bad throw out bearing.

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty I'll give that a try after it thaws out here, almost a foot of snow surrounding my truck right now, any other things to try while I'm at it?

HMMM. maybe a pilot bearing..
BTW i want your truck lol
LOL, it's a bit more beat up than what the picture show thanks to my brother-in-law, but I'm getting that taken care of as well.

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and did I mention that my speedo stopped working about the same time I started having this problm

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got it in the garage put it on jackstands and let it start rolling, turns out 3 maybe 4 teeth on the ring gear are gone, I'll get some pictures up as soon as I find my phone

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Ouch. That sucks man. Do you see any signs of something failing? By any chance did your VSS sensor break off and fall into the differential? You wouldn't think it but just about anything falling between the teeth of the ring and pinion can break teeth off.

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think that's what caused it, but it's always a possibility, I changed the vss when the speedo stopped working, and got everything out. I'll know more soon

·
got another 7.3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the new ring and pinion on my front porch, should be in by friday:evil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts