Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some guidance on some new tires. I’m looking at 295 65 20’s and in specific the ridge grappler, trail grappler, exo grappler (35 11.5 20) or the general X3. I have a 2” bilstein levelling kit as well so maybe even the trail grappler in 37 11.5 20? The truck is my daily driver and use it to camp and take a trip on the Coquihalla some times in the fall and winter (I’m from Vancouver BC). Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

·
sooty
409 Posts
What info are you looking for? The 295s will fit stock and lowered trucks on factory wheels with no rubbing.

35 12.5s fit stock height on stock wheels and only touch the radius arms at full lock.

37s will fit stock wheels and a 2" level and will also rub the radius arms at full lock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info, I think I’ll stick with the 295 65 20. I would like the 37, but have read I will lose mpg’s and power. I will be using my stock Harley wheels as well.

One more thing before I spend about 2K on tires is what ones should I buy? I like the looks of the Toyo MT , Nitto Trail Grappler and General X3 but will they actually last 40k miles? Or just go with the hybrid tire the Ridge Grappler that also comes in 295 65 20? I’m not looking for a highway tire, so Would the mud tires drastically reduce my MPG? My truck is deleted and has a mini Maxx tuner.

If you have ran any of the tires I mentioned please let me know what ones to stay away from or what ones to buy. The weather here is typically rainy and we get small amounts of snow.

Thank you for your input and look forward to any recommendations.

·
sooty
409 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Toyo m/t but they aren't the quietest tire out there. They last forever though. A good compromise would be the Toyo A/T II extremes. They look semi aggressive, are reasonably quiet and last well. Also a little cheaper which is a plus.

Nitto trails don't last. The terras aren't much better.

I've never run general.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, so leaning to Toyo MT then after your comments. Do you think the Ridge Grapplers would also wear poorly? Toyo MT’s here are $2,300 vs. $1,900 Ridge Grapplers, but if they wear better then it looks like Toyo MT.

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
I didnt like the A/T in the snow. My dad has the r/t and really likes them. They are supposed to be between the m/t and the a/t.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like those too Sb55 but they don’t come in 295 65 20 unfortunately. The ridge grappler does look like those RT’s though but just a different tread pattern. Does the Toyo Tire have a better wearing compound for our heavy trucks? Or would the ridge grapplers have the same compound because they are essentially the same company?

·
sooty
409 Posts
Why not just run 35/12.5/20s?

If you already have a levelling kit(not even required to run 35s), your truck will look like it skipped leg day with the 295s

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check and see if a tire stire will do it, I think most places won’t because they are too wide for a stock wheel. There are 35 11.5 20’s but those are even skinner than the 295 65 20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anybody tried the new Firestone MT2? I see a few reviews but just asking to see if someone has ran them on a heavy diesel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, 4wheel parts will do the 35 12.5 20’s for me. Now I’m down to 2 tires to pick from. Dick Cepek Fun Country or Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3. Any opinions on either?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have but they are $500 more, so after reading reviews on the tires I listed I think I’m grabbing a set of the DC fun country or MT Bajas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read they are made by Cooper Tires as well, same carcass as the ST Maxx but different tread designs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided on the Nitto Exo Grapplers in 35 12.5 20, they carry the snow flake symbol and wear hopefully really well. An employee at the shop I’m buying them from has some and are wearing like iron. I’ll post picks once they’re mounted. Thanks for your insight guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts