Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... My oil cooler deltas are outta control... Las Vegas hit 102* yesterday.... and I have a decent uphill grade on my way home from work.... by the time I got off the freeway, my ECT was 195*, EOT was 230*.... So it's time to act.. quickly.

After a lot of research and forum reading I have come to the conclusion that a Bullet Proof Diesel External Oil Cooler Kit is my best solution (For Now).

Seems like a lot of guys replace the stock cooler ($2500 cab off job) and within 6mo-1year get re-contaminated...
So here's the game plan....

I'm going to install the external half kit... Then do some extreme coolant flushes.... Start with a simple green flush... then possibly a TSP flush... and follow up with restore and restore plus.... then distilled water only.... then refill with pre-mix CAT ELC... (CAUSE #### FORD GOLD, THAT'S WHY)...

hopefully the flushes will knock enough crap off the oil cooler to improve it's efficiency a bit maybe 10%, and I can tow again!!!

Slap on a coolant filter and roll...

I figure if the truck has a problem warming up in the winter, I'll fabricate a blanket for the EXT core...

Then down the road (Maybe 110k) I'll pull the cab off and fix the stock cooler and maybe do some head studs, etc.

Any thoughts on the bulletproof kit? Anyone running it??????

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
i am lost

what are you installing in the " half kit" ?
you refer to it possibly having issues warming up like you are installed a remote cooler

and then refer to trying to clear the OEM cooler so it will work for now ? two different procedures ? flush for now BPD later ??

cooler is not a cab off unless you have a lift IMHO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am lost

you refer to it having issues warming up like you installed a remote cooler and then refer to trying to clear the OEM cooler so it will work
To clarify...

-I am going to install the ext. kit.
-Then flush the coolant to improve the stock cooler's efficiency.
-Then IF i have issues warming the motor up in the winter AFTER installing the kit... I will fab a blanket.
-THEN... maybe I will go back later and replace the stock kit.

AND THEN... no more and then.

Here is a LINK to the half kit: Bullet Proof Oil Cooler System, 2008-2010 F-Series, 6.4L Half-Kit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am lost

you refer to it possibly having issues warming up like you are installed a remote cooler

and then refer to trying to clear the OEM cooler so it will work for now ? two different procedures ? flush for now BPD later ??

cooler is not a cab off unless you have a lift IMHO
You know how the stock oil cooler works? Right?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
There are a ton of guys running the BPD oil cooler setup. Your own research has shown that its THE best kit out there. I work in the petrochemical industry and could easily put together my own setup but I'm not because I know BPD has painstakingly done the R&D as to what works best and as you would expect there isn't just one kit for all applications.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
You know how the stock oil cooler works? Right?
i know enough that if you put the BPD external cooler in you remove the OEM internal cooler ?

that is why I am lost it almost looks like you are leaving the oem cooler and doing the BPD cooler

EDIT
so i searched BPD half kit and low and behold I see what your referring to
it's an auxiliary supplemental cooler kit that I have never seen for the 6.0
and I don't see one listed for a 6.0 just 6.4 ?

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
in other words I didn't realize you had a 6.4 LOL
I really like the half kit option I wish I had the same choice I would do exactly what your doing

I hope your oil cooler flush works as good as mine I think cascade with dawn made the difference on mine

sorry for my confusion I was just thinking 6.0

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zmann and Term3... Thanks for your opinions....

Zman... tell me about the cascade w/ dawn flush.... how much detergent/soap did you use?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I use about half a cup but make sure it's all dissolved in some real hot water before you pour it into the cooling system. (This is dishwasher power we're talking about, not dish washing liquid, just to be clear)

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
i used 1/2 of the largest bottle and dissolved it in hot water for a total of 2 detergent flushes i also used a CAT flush and some distilled flushes over a whole week
on the 6.0 you can also do a reverse flush so i did 2 of those also

i had samples of the crap in my cooling system and did some cup test

the cascade was the only product that turned the sludge and particles back into a flowable state and I am pretty sure it's why my delta's went from over 30 to under 10

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
ZMANN your using the liquid, wonder if you ever used the powder? Maybe I'm not using enough powder cascade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts