Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to change a water pump in my truck and I also changed the temostate. and Now my truck is running a little warmer than it did before not hot but warmer. So I was wondering where on the temp gauge your ran at with a 203*? Just trying to see if that may be the diffents. That maybe I got a 203 and didn't know it.
Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Re: Those with 203 Temostate

The only stock 203* t-stat you can get is for the old style (94.5 and early 95) water pumps. The later pump's have a 195 and like action rick said you can only get the 203 for a later pump from Dieselsite.com

To answer your question, yes my temp did go up slightly on the gauge when the engine reaches operating temp.

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

well I have an early motor so I may have gotin a 203

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

well I have an early motor so I may have gotin a 203
No, you did get a 203* The only thermostat available for the early motors are 203*

However it shouldn't be any different than the old one. That is unless the old one was not working correctly.

BTW, my truck with a 203 dieselsite t-stat runs at about the M on normal. It used to be in the O to R range with the stock 195.

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

BTW, my truck with a 203 dieselsite t-stat runs at about the M on normal. It used to be in the O to R range with the stock 195.

Thanks that is where I'm at now. Now I feel better.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't know what the true coolant temp is but I do have an oil temp gauge on my Commander. It runs at about 205 to 215 depending on outside temp. and if I'm pulling a trailer or not. I've never seen the oil temp higher than 225.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
before i changed out my water pump i was running at the "O" and never moved above it. now that i changed the pump and the t-stat it runs at the "M". and yes, the stock '95 t-stat is a 203* t-stat. i found that out when i asked this same question after i did my water pump swap.

·
Bill
281 Posts
what is the 203 going to do for your truck? Just curious after hearing people mention it with no explination

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
what is the 203 going to do for your truck? Just curious after hearing people mention it with no explination
The stock tstat is 195 or 198 deg F. The 203 lets it run a little warmer. Warmer in the cab is why I did it, some do it for mileage.

·
Bill
281 Posts
heat in the cab makes sense but not sure on the how it would affect mileage. dave whitmer said in one post about the 203 he got .5 mpg gain. Just curious how?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Diesel engines supposedly burn fuel more efficiently at higher operating temperatures....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It will make the engine run a little warmer in the winter so that your fuel economy doesn't suffer so bad. It may also keep the temps up in the summer if you aren't working the truck hard enough to keep it above 195 (the stock t-stat temp.) It also kept the EBPV from cycling as much in the winter for me.

Supposedly the minimum temp for optimum fuel economy etc. is higher than the stock 195* There is a thread about it in the Fuel Economy Forum here also.

Check it out on dieselsite.com I think they have some reading on it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would bet more along the lines that your old thermo was bypassing allowing the motor to run to cool. Thats also why you see warmer temps. Most thermostat failures in a PSD cause overcooling.

Bill

·
Registered
374 Posts
Diesel engines are often called compression ignited engines, but HEAT is what actually ignites the fuel. Compression is simply the method used to generate the heat. The more heat generated, the better or more complete the combustion.

The cool part is that the hotter and more complete the combustion is, lower EGTs can be.

Bob

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Love mine... Runs a little quieter. Had one in my 99 and love it, but never put one in this truck until a month ago. Dont know what I waited for. I need to order one for the X too. Hey Bob, How come you dont offer the billet housings in color anymore?

·
Bill
281 Posts
where or who are you getting these from? every littel bit helps and I would like to get my hands on one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts