Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a few guys on here who have been through a turbo already. Did you ever notice any signs that you had an issue before it went out. I've noticed the last couple days that mine has aquired a new sound. It has a new whine that I havn't heard before. It gets louder and quieter depending on boost levels so I'm positive that's what I'm hearing. It's still working fine. I am tuned and the highest boost I've seen is 31psi, but I know there's some of you that are not tuned and have been through a turbo. I hope it's not getting ready to go. I just turned over 4000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine blew at 6k, had h and s, AFE straight pipe I ran the tuner only for over 5000 miles. Not one single issue, until deleted DPF. Mine did take on a new noise just like you are describing. I never owned a turbo before so I thought it was normal because DPF was gone.
It was an awful sound though

·
Registered
284 Posts
Friends of ours lost theirs before the first oil change. He said the fuel mileage went into the toilet for about 500 miles before it blew... but he mainly noticed it when pulling their travel trailer. Dealership installed a new turbo and flushed the CAC, but the fuel mileage is still in the toilet!!.. He has taken in back several times for the fuel mileage, but they say there is nothing wrong with it... go figure.
BTW.. truck is completely stock.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Never blown one on here, I do have a habit of listening when I shut the truck down, you CAN hear the turbo spool down, even on these. I know what normal sounds like,, if the bearings are going, you'll hear a difference I'm sure. I did on my 03, it went through three center sections. I know it's a different animal, but basically a turbo is a turbo.... ours are just a little more advanced.

·
First 6.7 PS Destroyer
270 Posts
Mine started to surge some yesterday when I got into it on hot. 3 passengers and a small trailer load of firewood. Kind of scared me. Hope it's not about to blow. Only did it once.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm over 5000 miles now. The noise is still there. It hasn't got any better or worse. I guess I'll just keep going and see what happens.

·
First 6.7 PS Destroyer
270 Posts
Oh yeah and I'm at 30k

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine blew at around 27k I noticed no signs before it happened. my dealer said I was the first they had heard of blowing a 6.7 turbo. Gave me no explanation of what caused it either. No problems since it was replaced

·
Registered
26 Posts
Friends of ours lost theirs before the first oil change. He said the fuel mileage went into the toilet for about 500 miles before it blew... but he mainly noticed it when pulling their travel trailer. Dealership installed a new turbo and flushed the CAC, but the fuel mileage is still in the toilet!!.. He has taken in back several times for the fuel mileage, but they say there is nothing wrong with it... go figure.
BTW.. truck is completely stock.
tell him to have them reset the KAM

I only replaced turbos in F450s and F550s.
They typically lack power, a screech noise starts then when it doesnt make any power on its own it will sound like a vacuum cleaner running when you give it any throttle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
tell him to have them reset the KAM

I only replaced turbos in F450s and F550s.
They typically lack power, a screech noise starts then when it doesnt make any power on its own it will sound like a vacuum cleaner running when you give it any throttle.
yea, the turbos on the 450-550 engines are failing at a pretty alarming rate for basically being the old 6.0L turbo..
The friends of ours that have the F250 that lost the turbo is back in the shop yet again. Think its an oil leak at the rear of the engine...(probably due to the turbo change)

·
Registered
26 Posts
haha no way are they like a 6.0s. They have one clamp thats a royal PITA to get out and coolant lines that feed them requiring jiffy tite disconnect tools. Size outer size is similar to a 6.0 but thats where the similarities end.

I cant for certain say what causes them to fail. on a nation wide scale they probably fail at an alarming rate. ive had only a handful and the other tech had a few. never in a 250 or 350. just 450 and 550s...

·
Registered
284 Posts
One of the engineers that looked at my truck said it was basically the same displacement as the old 6.0L turbo.
Been having issues with mine as well, surging pretty bad and almost "notchy" when trying to build boost. Acts like the actuator for the sliding vane is sticking..

·
brandon
778 Posts
i notice the boost gauge would surge and my mpg dropped by 4 mpg, never made any noise but I took it in for the mpg issues and they told me it was the turbo

·
Banned
191 Posts
Mine blew last night while towing,went to pass a semi,lost power black smoke,no boost.Drove it 150 miles like that.Blowing alot of white smoke out of exhaust now,using oil.Dealership on monday 62,xxx miles.

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
Mine blew last night while towing,went to pass a semi,lost power black smoke,no boost.Drove it 150 miles like that.Blowing alot of white smoke out of exhaust now,using oil.Dealership on monday 62,xxx miles.
driving with a blown turbo is a very bad idea, the engine can begin to start firing off the oil instead of diesel and if it gets to that point you wont be able to shut the engine down, it will run untill it locks up

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
Gotcha

·
Banned
191 Posts
Just a update,truck is getting new turbo,it is blow.FWIW,my truck is in dealer deleted and tuned.Luckily ford is still covering it.

·
Dows diesel
7 Posts
I am having so much trouble with my turbo and with this site. Can anyone help me out with both my issues? How do I post a new topic so I can get some answers...lol.

thanks to anyone that can help.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts