Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=981358&CategoryID=20207&on=1

A Broaddus woman escaped serious injury on Saturday afternoon when she was hit by a car, which then fled the scene. The accident happened at about 2:30 on the parking lot of the Brookshire Brother's store at Highways 96 and 190 in Jasper.

67-year-old Earlene Read said that she was placing her groceries into her car when the driver of a late model silver Ford Taurus hit her and pinned her up against her car. A witness yelled at the driver, but he kept going and nearly hit a child, and another car as he fled the parking lot.

A witness gave police a description and license plate number of the car, and officers found the car and four occupants just minutes later at the Shady Hollow Trailer Park on South Wheeler Street. Officer Cody Christopher said the men had just gotten out of the car when he arrived, and one of them was fumbling with a set of keys, trying to get their trailer house door open.

Officer Mike Peters said the men were from Mexico, and none
Jasper Police quickly found the car that fled the accident, and they questioned four men. Photo by Steve W Stewart.
of them could produce paperwork to show that they were in the United States legally. Peters went on to say that none of them would admit to driving the car.

Peters said there was no choice but to release the men since the victim did not seek medical treatment, and also because Immigration and Customs Enforcement, commonly known as I.C.E., said that they did not have sufficient manpower to deal with the illegal aliens since there were no charges filed against them.

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
Ahhh yess. And yet states are boycotting business with AZ. Priceless......

Im just glad she wasnt injured, reguardless of that being a partial cause of them not being prosecuted

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If I was the cop, I would have lied and filed charges anyway.

·
Administrator
8,539 Posts
If I was the cop, I would have lied and filed charges anyway.
if i was stil a cop, and in that town, there would be 4 less beaners in town.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
thats where a little vigilante justice goes a long way...... that cop has friends.... and prolly even a grandma that could have been the one who was hit.... I would call up a couple of friends and let them deal with them. this story is disgusting, the thing is, someone is employing them so they can afford their trailer home.... their illegal car, and the food they eat. AZ has it right.... if you mess up, the cops should be able to ask you for your papers to ensure you are here legally.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
if i was stil a cop, and in that town, there would be 4 less beaners in town.
With an attitude and prejudice like that.......thank goodness you're not "still" a cop.

As to the accident, I find it hard to believe that charges couldn't have been filed against all of them.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
With an attitude and prejudice like that.......thank goodness you're not "still" a cop.

As to the accident, I find it hard to believe that charges couldn't have been filed against all of them.

I do not think "beaners" is an appropriate term to use on this forum any more then using any other racist term so that needs to stop.

Gandy what charges were you thinking there are that apply against all four?

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Gandy what charges were you thinking there are that apply against all four?
As to the incident itself....would not 'leaving the scene of an accident' apply here?

How about vehicular assault?

I realize that they couldn't determine who was actually driving but, wouldn't accessories to the above charges be applicable?

And then on the illegal immigration portion, since when does ICE have to be the ones who press charges for breaking the law by being in the country illegally?

I know you're an LEO and maybe I'm off base here but, that's why I said
"I find it hard to believe that charges couldn't have been filed against all of them."
If you tell me that there's no way legal charges could have been filed.........then I will become a 'believer.' :shrug:

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
As to the incident itself....would not 'leaving the scene of an accident' apply here?

How about vehicular assault?

I realize that they couldn't determine who was actually driving but, wouldn't accessories to the above charges be applicable?

And then on the illegal immigration portion, since when does ICE have to be the ones who press charges for breaking the law by being in the country illegally?

I know you're an LEO and maybe I'm off base here but, that's why I said

If you tell me that there's no way legal charges could have been filed.........then I will become a 'believer.' :shrug:
Leaving the scene of an accident is a minor offense in most areas resulting only in a fine. Illegals arent gonna show up for court or pay it:doh:

Vehicular assault good luck showing intent:doh:

Sure the local LEO's can press charges and arrest for being here illegal. But good luck getting ICE to show up within two days to take them into custody.

Especially with the controversy going on with the AZ law Rick.

·
diesel and nothing else
1,620 Posts
are you for real, come on that is not right. Hit a woman, run off and the state does nothing. Are we that far gone already????

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Well you had two witnesses that saw/were involved the accident. That is the first tool to use. The key issue is to identify the driver as that person is most culpable. If your witnesses do not pan out then the goal is going to be to identify the driver with an admission or through the others in the car. A secondary issue would be to identify the owner of the car as there may be additional violations there such as allowing a car to be driven without insurance, allowing an unlicense driver to drive etc. I would not view a passenger in a car as being arrestable simply because they were a passenger in a minor accident. To be an accessory you would want to be able show how they furthered the offense. Something like helping to hide the car would be a good example.

If the driver was indentified and arrested I would anticipate that he would be released within 24hrs on a bond of $500 to $1500 for the scenario here.

Here you would not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting ICE to come out. It is very difficult to get someone deported right out of the jail.

This might not be the answer that sits well with some of you but that would be the reality from my perspective. I am not saying I agree with that reality either. If you all want to debate the political side of this I will be happy to move the thread there were it would be more on topic.

One new law here that some of you will like is that if you are stopped and have no license or are suspended and the police tow your car it takes a $2500 bond to get the car out plus the two charges. If someone in the car gets busted within one year for that again the bond ID forfeit. That has way more bite then a ticket that means very little esp when you might not really know who that person is. That is a huge problem.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
JUST LET THEM GO LIKE THAT????WTH

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Well you had two witnesses that saw/were involved the accident. That is the first tool to use. The key issue is to identify the driver as that person is most culpable. If your witnesses do not pan out then the goal is going to be to identify the driver with an admission or through the others in the car. A secondary issue would be to identify the owner of the car as there may be additional violations there such as allowing a car to be driven without insurance, allowing an unlicense driver to drive etc. I would not view a passenger in a car as being arrestable simply because they were a passenger in a minor accident. To be an accessory you would want to be able show how they furthered the offense. Something like helping to hide the car would be a good example.

If the driver was indentified and arrested I would anticipate that he would be released within 24hrs on a bond of $500 to $1500 for the scenario here.

Here you would not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting ICE to come out. It is very difficult to get someone deported right out of the jail.

This might not be the answer that sits well with some of you but that would be the reality from my perspective. I am not saying I agree with that reality either. If you all want to debate the political side of this I will be happy to move the thread there were it would be more on topic.

One new law here that some of you will like is that if you are stopped and have no license or are suspended and the police tow your car it takes a $2500 bond to get the car out plus the two charges. If someone in the car gets busted within one year for that again the bond ID forfeit. That has way more bite then a ticket that means very little esp when you might not really know who that person is. That is a huge problem.
Thanks for your insight.

Question: If the exact same thing happened in your jurisdiction, and you were the officer..........would they have been charged with something or just let go (not considering your new law)?

In other words, do you think you would have been in the same situation and there wouldn't have been any choice but to release them?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
If it got to the point to where there was no way to ID the driver on a minor accident like was described that was hit and run, this is what not just I but rather my dept does.

Impound the car with an investigative hold
Serve the owner and possibly the passengers to appear at the Accident Section to see a Detective
Make sure those with the car do not have existing warrants
Release them

One other point to consider is that in spite of being Mexican Nationals they would still be afforded the same constitutional rights as would any of us. Key to remember is that they have the right to a lawyer and the right to remain silent.

I am not professing my point of view on this one just telling you how it would roll here. I fully believe that our society in general would expect something different and I understand the comments that you all have made.

I came back to add this. I do remember the day when you got stopped and no drivers license, no ID and no way to verified who someone was meant jail with no more paperwork then the ticket itself. All the time you got a notice later after prints were taken that said the person you arrested under this name was really this person who was wanted for ____________________. Sort of like DUI meant jail too.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Why is being here illegally not enough to get your a$$ sent back? Why would they need more charges filed?

·
Administrator
8,539 Posts
I do not think "beaners" is an appropriate term to use on this forum any more then using any other racist term so that needs to stop.
agreed, and i am sorry for that slip. i had a bad night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts