Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know ANYTHING about waxing and need some advice...

What is a good wax to use? preferably something I can buy at a local auto parts store, wally world, etc....

I have a Craftsman waxer (got it for Christmas) with the standard pads that come with it. Are these sufficient or should I get some other pads?

Is there an easy way to prevent the wax from getting on the black plastic? (Painters tape??) I have had wax on the plastic before and it takes FOREVER to come off...

What is the procedure for waxing?
Clean the truck VERY well, dry, wax, buff off?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

What is a good wax to use? preferably something I can buy at a local auto parts store, wally world, etc....

I have a Craftsman waxer (got it for Christmas) with the standard pads that come with it. Are these sufficient or should I get some other pads?

Is there an easy way to prevent the wax from getting on the black plastic? (Painters tape??) I have had wax on the plastic before and it takes FOREVER to come off...

well I am not a very big fan of the stufff you buy in the stores! if you have good wax and get it on your plastic it will wipe right off when you get it on and doesnt turn white!
wash your truck very well, clay bar,than buff wax on and wipe off!

now with your buffer if its a high speed you must watch cause you run the chance to burn your paint

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clay bar??

I think it is high speed.... I will just not hold it in one spot too long. I bought some "meguiar's Gold class wax" from Auto Zone I guess I'll try that stuff this time.

For next time what wax do you reccomend?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I like the system one spray on stuff, just got done doing my truck. best shine for a spray on wax IMHO.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
as far as off the shelf waxes go ive had the best luck with the turtle wax ice line, goes on easy comes off easy and leaves a great shine. doesnt leave any residue on plastics either

·
Registered
63 Posts

1. An excellent line that you can often find in NAPA and Car Quest stores is Duragloss. Easy to use, very well priced, and VERY durable. They have several different "waxes" - which are really synthetic sealants, strictly speaking. 111 in particular is excellent. 101 and 105 are also great choices.

A newcomer to the US market is Autoglym. Their High Definition wax can sometimes be found at Walmart. A $35 pot of wax seems a bit out of place at Walmart, but I promise, this stuff is really excellent.

2. Waxing by machine? Personally, I don't bother. If you're using a product that's easy to use, you shouldn't really need the assistance of a machine to take it off. I find that a machine gets in my way. The other thing with doing it with your particular machine is the pads. Super Duty trucks are BIG. You're going to "fill" one of those pads with wax during the buffing process pretty quickly. Unless you have a lot of pads to use, the machine will become ineffective pretty quickly.

3. I don't mean to sound like a smartass, I promise, but the best way to keep wax off black plastic is to take your time, and keep it off the black plastic. Work in smaller areas and use less product. A little patience now will save you a lot of hassle removing that white residue weeks later.

Additionally, most good quality waxes or sealants these days shouldn't leave white residue at all. If you're using something that does, change to something different. Detailing products have come a LONG way over the last several years.

Want something so easy to use that you'll feel like you're cheating? Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is the ease of use champion of the world. You spray it on the panel, smear it around very thinly, and that's basically it. It looks amazing and lasts well too. For a total package of looks, durability, and ease of use, my opinion is that there's nothing else close to this stuff. I recommend it to people new to detailing all the time, and they've all loved it.

4. Your procedure is fine for a basic wash and wax. If you plan to clay the truck, do that after you wash it, and before you wax it. As to the techniques used to apply and remove wax, it depends on the product. Just follow the directions on the container. Some advise you to wait a while before buffing - others advise you to remove it while it's still a bit wet.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Clay bar??

I think it is high speed.... I will just not hold it in one spot too long. I bought some "meguiar's Gold class wax" from Auto Zone I guess I'll try that stuff this time.

For next time what wax do you reccomend?
I am a very big fan of the adams polishes! clay bar is a system that removes all the crap that is in your clear coat!
with buffing you got to use a wax that is for buffing!
the gold class wax is to use by hand.
I am not a buffer fan, i like to wax and polish by hand

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
My process is wash the truck off

Clay bar the truck (you really should clay bar it before waxing the truck any time, you will be surprised what kind of crap it pulls off the paint) and you dont want to work that stuff deeper into the paint when buffing it. I use meguiars clay bar kit

Then I have a two stage 3M wax set that I use. First is a rubbing compound and second is a finishing wax to give it a really fine finish. Buff the first on then buff off and repeat on the second.

I have also used meguiars wax as well and I really like that

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I waxed the truck with the stuff I got and the truck looks great. I'll keep in mind the suggestions y'all gave me.

The Wax didn't leave a white film on the plastic so that was good.

These trucks are BIG and I definitely don't look forward to waxing it again anytime soon.... LOL

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well, I waxed the truck with the stuff I got and the truck looks great. I'll keep in mind the suggestions y'all gave me.

The Wax didn't leave a white film on the plastic so that was good.

These trucks are BIG and I definitely don't look forward to waxing it again anytime soon.... LOL
it takes me two and a half hours to do mine top to bottom,wheels,tires,bumpers!

lets see the pics of the shiney stroker

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I am a big fan of megiuars my self. I have tried every type of wax and quick detailer on my 68 camaro and I have still not found nothing better. Also the polish from them I use first to put some oils back in to the clear coat. Then use the nxt tech wax 2.0. You can pick that up at a local walmart. These 2 products together have done one hell of a job on my car and my pick up. I have yet to use the clay bar I have bought for my truck but will try that soon. Now everytime after I wash my truck I use the Ultimate Quick detailer. The stuff is pricy but well worth it...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am a big fan of megiuars my self. I have tried every type of wax and quick detailer on my 68 camaro and I have still not found nothing better. Also the polish from them I use first to put some oils back in to the clear coat. Then use the nxt tech wax 2.0. You can pick that up at a local walmart. These 2 products together have done one hell of a job on my car and my pick up. I have yet to use the clay bar I have bought for my truck but will try that soon. Now everytime after I wash my truck I use the Ultimate Quick detailer. The stuff is pricy but well worth it...
Im a fan of Megiruars as well. Hand waxing is all I have ever did with my toys. Last time I used Mothers wax... Worked decent, since I ran out of the good stuff

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Im a fan of Megiruars as well. Hand waxing is all I have ever did with my toys. Last time I used Mothers wax... Worked decent, since I ran out of the good stuff
I had all kinds of waxes and polishs on my shelf and I gave them to a friend who is unemployed. He waxes his 2 trucks every 2 weeks. LOL I knew he would try it so I gave it to him :hehe:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Megiruars worked pretty good for me too... I just hate waxing the truck it took for ever....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Megiruars worked pretty good for me too... I just hate waxing the truck it took for ever....
I hear ya. I hate doing mine. I wish I had a garage to put it in. It would be allot easier then trying to rush it since it is burning hot outside and paint is hot to the touch. Also it would stay much nicer...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Shiat, i need some tricks. A full detail on my rig takes at least 5-6 hours. And that is short. If it is winter filthy it takes all day. Last LSP i used was turtle wax, but i will be stepping up here soon.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Shiat, i need some tricks. A full detail on my rig takes at least 5-6 hours. And that is short. If it is winter filthy it takes all day. Last LSP i used was turtle wax, but i will be stepping up here soon.
thats why I love adams! cause the shine is the best and its so easy to do and so fast

·
Registered
935 Posts
I hear ya, i need to upgrade to a higher quality wax, but a full interior, exterior with claybar, polish and wax is gonna take a 5-6, at a minimum on a CC/LB. It doesn't matter what product you use.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I cant remember how long it takes me. Just know that in the long run it sure is worth it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts