Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 99 7.3 with 168k on it and very clean truck. Im trying to decide keep the 7.3 and do some motor mods or get an 08 with 6.4. Im going to have either truck on 38s and i pull alot. What is yall advice keep 7.3 or get 6.4?

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's a good lookin 7.3 in your avatar. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I have a 2006 6.0 and I don't know if I should mod the motor or just buy a 6.4. I love everything about the 6.4 but it's so quite it doesn't even seem like a diesel to me. Maybe I am just old school and use to being around noisy construction equipment.

anyways.... here is a morning bump for u

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man. Mine I can find anything wrong with and i have had no troubles at all with it. I just want more power. I have a set of stage 2 injectors and a a custom chip setting here and im priceing the rest of the things. I figured what it would cost and just figured that towards a 6.4 plus trade mine would be a hell of a down payment. I just dont want to get a motor that has alot of problems like the first 6.0s did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the owner of a new 2010 6.4l (which I love by the way), had I been in your situation with a proven motor 7.3l and no extra emissions crap, I would keep your current truck and build it. I bailed out of a 2005 6.0l for the 6.4l so the additional expense was worth the new truck for me... .02

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the kind input i was hoping for. I have read alot on the 6.4s and they seem to be good motors but the emissions and the mileage really suck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That was the kind input i was hoping for. I have read alot on the 6.4s and they seem to be good motors but the emissions and the mileage really suck.
I was planning on keeping my 7.3 and building power up a little more, adding noise reduction material, maybe airbags to improve ride comfort. After the accident I tried to find something comparable to what I had and I could not. So I bought a 6.4. I recommend keeping it. Just go to autotrader.com and see what you can find in the 7.3's. You'll see what I mean.

My 6.4 is more refined and comfortable then my 7.3...but I would rather have my 7.3 back.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was planning on keeping my 7.3 and building power up a little more, adding noise reduction material, maybe airbags to improve ride comfort. After the accident I tried to find something comparable to what I had and I could not. So I bought a 6.4. I recommend keeping it. Just go to autotrader.com and see what you can find in the 7.3's. You'll see what I mean.

My 6.4 is more refined and comfortable then my 7.3...but I would rather have my 7.3 back.
Just wait till you put the dpf delete and tuner on it....it will make you think its a totally new truck!!!!! When a bought my 6.4, i wanted my 6.0L back in a big way! After i tuned it there's no way i would go back!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just wait till you put the dpf delete and tuner on it....it will make you think its a totally new truck!!!!! When a bought my 6.4, i wanted my 6.0L back in a big way! After i tuned it there's no way i would go back!!!
Sounds just like I feel.

I think I'm also going to have to do something like pull a tree down or pull my 5th wheel through the smokies, Pull someone or something out of a mud hole on some rough terrain or something similar to give me the confidence that this is not a premodona truck:eek: I know generally speaking they are not but there seems to be some trucks out there that have continual problems....I havent had mine long enough yet even so, its in the shop now for its second radiator:mad:

I'll only probably do the delete and tuner when I'm comfortable my truck can take it.

My wife already asked me when I was going to put the big fat exhaust on this one like my other one because she hates the galvanized looking tips.;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Im thinking about buying another 7.3. I want a 6sp. I found one identical one to mine with less miles. So i might just have 2. One to play with. Think this is a bad deal. a 99.5 with 144k. It was 38in Nittos with 20x12 welds. CCLB xlt with a 6sp for $10,000. It in kinda rough condition. has some body damage.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have also put two rad's in my truck, i've had a rough year with this thing too. A rad, egr valve, and a front drive shaft, but over the last 3 months or so it been great. Its got about 3500 miles in that time, extreme cold, mud, fog all kinds of nasty stuff and it's ran great!! I do recommend custom tuning thou, Spartan, or SCT with Eric's tunes, there the best. IMO.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have also put two rad's in my truck, i've had a rough year with this thing too. A rad, egr valve, and a front drive shaft, but over the last 3 months or so it been great. Its got about 3500 miles in that time, extreme cold, mud, fog all kinds of nasty stuff and it's ran great!! I do recommend custom tuning thou, Spartan, or SCT with Eric's tunes, there the best. IMO.
Someone needs to create an aftermarket rad that can take the pressure. I would buy it just so I could be done with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I totally agree!!! Hope someone will soon!!!

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
i have an 03 7.3 auto, a 99 6spd.... and my 2010 6.4 (no dpf,cat, spartan tuned)

i miss being able to slam gears that the 99 offers, but even the 03 7.3 doesnt compair to my 6.4. i pull daily, anything from no less than a 9700lb bobcat, to 24000lbs tractors.... that 6.4 doesnt even compair to the 7.3. when i find my self adding more fuel to the 7.3 on hills then 6.4 just keeps on pulling without adding anything. the twin turbo setup makes a world of difference.... if a guy had the time and money to add a better turbo, some live tuning, injectors, and upgrade the ssupension to be as floaty and no so log wagonish as the older ones id say go for it! i would have abotu 20K in that 03 to make it exactly how i want and be comfortable inside it. my 99 sets on an 8in superlift and 38s. if you wanted to add to the ride and make it ride better id say superlift springs is where its at. ive pulled goosnecks with that truck stock and on 38s and it seems to ride better with the added weight. i do think m 6.4 isnt going to do great come time for planting and being in loose dirt, it likes to hop and jump but i havnet got any bed weight yet. planting season ill be running my 105 gal tank and pulling a 2500 gal fert tank weighing in at about 28K for about 3 weeks straight. ill report back and see how much i like it! my 7.3 did it without issues but wasnt happy with me!

just my .02!

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
have you guys checked into be cool and see if they offered anything? theyre pricey but worth it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I have an 01 that needs some things done to it. It a nice truck and It has neved left me stranded. But it's starting to need a tranny and a couple injectors. I'm having a hardtime spending the 4 grand to do that to a truck that only worth 14 grand if I'm lucky. Heck the truck only has 90k on it.
Part of me says keep the truck and spend the money to fix it. The other part of be say buy a new truck a delete all the emission stuff and have a nice fast truck.
Then the other part of me says make it last a few more years they way it is and see if the 6.7l is a better truck if not then the 6.4l will be cheaper.

I have been looking at used 6.4l but i'm just no sure what I want to do. As i only drive this truck on the weekends or when I'm on vacation. I feel kind of quilty spending that much money on something that looks nice in the garage.

To many options.
Heck I even went a drove a 5.9 mega cab 6sp has i really like the motor but the rest of the truck just wasnt up to my standards. The interior was just blahh.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts