Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering converting my truck to run WVO, instead of making BD. My questions are how long does it take to warm up(miles/time) before flipin the switch to WVO and how long to purge it out back to dino before shut down?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
171 Posts
What year PSD do you have?

for my 95, it takes about 3 minutes at 70mph when its 80*F or more to hit operating temp/thermostat. in the city at 35 for 45 mph it takes maybe 10 mins. in the winter (under 20*F) at 70mph it take about 10 miles or so. in the city it almost never happens. from what i understand the OBS trucks run pretty cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my truck is an '01

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't switch my 250 over yet, but my GMC Suburban has 80,000 miles on veg, it takes 7 to 10 minutes to warm up enough to switch over.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
In the summer, 1.5 - 2 miles to switch to veg. In the winter, 2-3 miles at most. Purge time isn't weather dependent. Figure about 2 min total to purge and idle before it'll shut down. The 7.3's are also probably the best motor to run veggie oil in. Very, very forgiving.

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
In the summer, 1.5 - 2 miles to switch to veg. In the winter, 2-3 miles at most. Purge time isn't weather dependent. Figure about 2 min total to purge and idle before it'll shut down. The 7.3's are also probably the best motor to run veggie oil in. Very, very forgiving.
What temp is yours switching over? It would usually take about 3 times that for me. Of course - I am in Denver versus the humid tourist and lizard infested state your in :D

Sam

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
i would think a safe temp is when the tstat opens....
What t-stat? and what is it set at?

Snake - I was joking about the Florida comments (well mostly)... What temp does the DFA switch? Just curious. I figured the mileage/tim for switching is based on ambient...

Sam

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am considering converting my truck to run WVO, instead of making BD. My questions are how long does it take to warm up(miles/time) before flipin the switch to WVO and how long to purge it out back to dino before shut down?

Thanks Kevin
Do it. I have about 60k on a homade system upgraded over time with dfa components, especially their pump.

As mentioned the 7.3 is almost made for it. Check valves on the heads fuel ports seperate the stock #2 system and the aux fuel system (wvo). So the only shared portion of the engine is the fuel rails in the heads, wicked quick purge. Like seconds. It takes a few seconds longer for the injectors to consume/clean out the wvo.

If, big if...you have the system heated properly for your weather when the truck reaches operating temp as per the dummy gauge, time to switch. I have after market fuel temp and coolant temp gauge. Waste of money, just get a fuel pressure gauge, a must have for trouble shooting.

Check out dfa forum for more info.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am considering converting my truck to run WVO, instead of making BD?

Thanks Kevin
I researched bd versus wvo for a while before I pulled the trigger. Lots of misinfo from the bd community. Not so much lying but there are so many variables to consider you can not just say one is better that the other, but I tell you what. Once you create a system addressing all the issues and it pays for itself, you have a year round free fuel operation. Well start up and shutdown diesel and filters are the only continued input. Consider the alternative with bd, always inputs with methenol and lye and can not use when it gets cold. Sure you can cut it but B5 when it gets winter around here. Too boot put some bad bd in your stock tank and yer screeewd. Wvo route on the 7.3s leaved stock system almost completely stock.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
What t-stat? and what is it set at?

Snake - I was joking about the Florida comments (well mostly)... What temp does the DFA switch? Just curious. I figured the mileage/tim for switching is based on ambient...

Sam
LOL No worries! You learn to love the lizards and hate the tourists. I'd say something about the snow birds, but my parents have recently decided that FL is a great place to live in the winter. :D

If I'm not mistaken, the V3 switches over when the t-stat opens up, which is 180-190*. And you're correct in that the ambient temp contributes to switching time. It takes less time for the motor to warm up to operating temps when its 80* out which is why the system switches over more quickly during the summer. Also, the first 1.5 miles from my driveway is a 35 mph zone so it takes me a little longer to travel that distance than if the speed limit was 50 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to put together my own system using check valves like the Vegistroke. I would like to hear how you guys that have done your own did it ie: what pump, filter, alum tube in hose, hose in hose Etc.

Thanks Kevin

·
C&C Customs
1,258 Posts
the Vegistroke v3 has a 140 f* temp switch on it so it turns on at 140*

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
I wonder temps you are seeing at the point of injection if the veggie is less than 140 degrees... I have always been worried about coking injector tips and cyclinder walls switching that low...

Sam

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
I wonder temps you are seeing at the point of injection if the veggie is less than 140 degrees... I have always been worried about coking injector tips and cyclinder walls switching that low...

Sam
Well the 140 degree temp switch is down on the manifold that holds the FASS pump and filter setup, which the coolant runs through. So once that's up to 140 (it's a giant block of aluminum too) then it will start sending oil. By that time the motor is pretty warm, and the heads themselves must do a pretty good job of heating it up....

There was some discussion about this on the BFT forum a few weeks ago when you asked me about it then. Couldn't really get a straight answer but some of the guys are doing pretty interesting things for heat now... worth a look.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts

Sam
Like mdub said, there's been some discussion about oil temps over on the BFT forums. I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer on temps at injection, but I'm comfortable switching at 140* ECT.

·
C&C Customs
1,258 Posts
i had just pulled my injecters on my truck and im looking for a 160 temp switch which shouldnt be a prob here in fl! my inj. tip were really bad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts