Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started out this year by putting a fair amount of money into the truck. Tires, tow mirrors, GPR western plow relay swap, new powdercoat on the bead locks and shock hoops, mild custom tune, exhaust, battery tender, under bed rails.... the list goes on. Anyway, Im thinking of upgrading the turbo a bit.

Its the original turbo at 115000 miles, no rebuild that I know of. The mild tune I have can make the EGTs get a bit hot if Im not careful while towing the camper uphill. Im going to have it defueled a bit to prevent damage, but I was thinking about trying to get more air in there instead. So what about a turbo wheel upgrade? Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Id do the 360 thrust rebuild kit and wwII then you should be good to go especially since the turbing shaft and everything is still good.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
WW2 dropped my EGT's about 150-200* when towing my 10k trailer and also cleaned up some smoke. I was impressed with it so much that I put one in my 38r when I got it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, sounds like what I'm looking for. What is the 360 thrust rebuild kit? What is different about it?

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
The 360 kit has a full thrust bearing where as the factory has a 270 or something (i forget) and the 360 will stand up better to higher boost then the stocker will.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that will be a good "while im in there" mod. Thanks

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about that, but they might be a bit tricky to get at. I really wish I ceramic coated the manifolds and up pipes while I had the motor out a few years ago.

I will also be coating the turbo while its out and apart. We do powdercoat and ceramics at work so why not. Besides, they have specific coatings for the compressor side and exhaust side. Maybe Ill do the intercooler pipes too.....hmmmm. maybe Ill anodize the compressor side...... the ideas are endless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had the WW2 and Barder 360 kit in mine for about 10k miles now and have been pleased so far. There is a small power increase mostly in the midrange but the spool time isn't really much different...maybe 200 rpm sooner. Can't say on egt's as I'm still gaugeless. In all honesty though I would probably go with a 38R or a Brute 66 if towing is your main concern just b/c your still gonna have the small exaust housing with the stocker. Just curious...who did your custom tune and what hp is it? I'm assuming it's a pcm flash or fixed position chip?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think I want to go the route of a new turbo, I dont drive the truck enough or tow anything big enough to justify it. I just want to freshen her up a bit.

As for the tune, it was done by a friend of mine. Its not a particular HP or anything. Mostly he increased the line pressure in the transmission a bit, changed the shift points slightly, and increased the fuel curve. He did some other stuff, Im not sure quite what. Im actually going to have him reduce the fuel a bit though because it is too easy to get those EGTs up. It was a PCM flash by the way.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where can I get this 360 kit? Im trying to get a list together, some parts are starting to come in for the spring time...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Barder Turbo Service.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Barder Turbo Service.

717-919-7423 his number.
He has used 1.0 housings for $150
High flow outlet (van flange) $135
360* rebuild kit $93
Dino proven has a poor boy Brute 66 $1000. Has a cast wheel instead of billet wheel. Dealing on Std. Brute 66 turbos.
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds tempting, how much of an improvement are all of those things you mentioned? I'm still learning here.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1.0 housing. ...quicker spool (with tunes) , lower get from less back pressure.
Outlet is required to eliminate exhaust back pressure valve.
Dynoproven.com Brute 66 turbo is a all around beast with a money back guarantee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts