Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BROKE as a JOKE
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...im thinking of selling the 97 and buying an 07... i need some extra cab room for the kid and the gear.

plus, the diesel shop in CT said i'd put about $6,000 under the hood and be stronger than what 6,000 in the 7.3 would get me. thoughts?

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
I wouldn't do it for a 6.0... Just my preference tho. Why not sell the reg cab and find a ext or crew cab obs?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
my girlfriend has a 6.0, no way I would trade my 7.3 for it.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
If I were to get a 6.0 it would be the 07 year. But you have to look at what you would get out of your truck for your area $3000-$6000 would be my guess and then what you would have to pay for that 07 and then the more expensive mods that you would have to do to it to make it reliable.

I personally would start with the 08's + with the 6.4 way before I thought about a 6.0, I had too many friends that had very bad luck with the 6.0's.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Efff all that noise. Youre gonna spend several grand (not $6k) just making a 6.0 where you can trust the bastard right after you dump probably more than $10k just buying the truck. Then a few months later, the ficm craps out on you, then two weeks later, you notice a slight miss, that only gets worse, due to that ficm failing, now you need to replace injectors, etc, etc... find yourself another obs that's a crew cab, or hell even a super duty 7.3 and be happy. You can and will have a bad ass 7.3 that will do everything you want it to for much less than $6k, and still be reliable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im with these other guys. Out of the box the 6.0 is less engine, you will sink a minimum of 5k into it just to drive it daily. Then you have the cost of a new truck payment. Now you can look at mods, where a programmer will give you a nice jump in power but its not like the 6.4 or Cummins engines. The FICM is just the start of the 6.0s problems. The EGR is a constant concern. There is still no fix for the oil rails, just replacements for the worn out components.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
I would take a Bullet proofed(head studs,erg cooler[aftermarket or delete], oil cooler) 6.0 over a 7.3 SD any day.

They make MORE power STOCK than a fully chipped OBS with supporting mods
And also are FASTER even though they average 1000lb MORE than the equivalent OBS

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
my girlfriend just dropped $5500 to have the head gaskets done on her already deleted studded fixed 6.0...and the turbo and injectors are very suspect in it
the f550 6.0 at work is at $17000 in two repair bills once for the headgaskets popping and needing a delete and the second for injectors
a foreman texted me asking where we took our 6.0 and his quote was over $10g at both the powerstroke shops here...
I am considering a career change when I see what people pay to fix these trucks

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
m j's numbers are Canadian values and will be higher compared to lower 48.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
C'mon now, there isn't that much of a difference between USD and CAD right now.
You are correct, I should have explained "Canadian Values" it's a combo of dollar difference, price points at the dealership for parts and labour cost here as well as tax infrastructure and shipping. Generally parts here are twice what you pay, e.g., glow plugs $25-35 per plug. Think Clay at Riffraffs $10.00 per. OBS UVC harness here $75.00 per (for two cylinders) Clay is $39.00 per. Dealership shop rates (and others) are $120.00 to $145.00 per hour, it adds up quick and taxes here in BC are 12% on parts and labour.

My local Ford dealership is 8 minutes from my home and I've told them I will not support their business model for parts at twice or more for the exact same parts.

To OP sorry for the de rail.... I'd find a nice OBS CC and fix it up.
jrc

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
C'mon now, there isn't that much of a difference between USD and CAD right now.
your dollar is back on top of ours now, we are at 91cents currently, but we do pay at least 100% more for parts, which is why many of us do not buy anything from Canadian shops (an anomaly, BD sells turbos way lower then I can find in the US).

they quoted 23 hrs labour for 6.0 headgaskets, GF already had pretty much every update and studs in the truck so we got off a couple grand less then average at $5g ish

the main point is not price, the main point is paying to do it twice on the same truck.
the work f550 is at $15000 to 17000 in two repair trips to Bernhausen and it is bone stock as far as hp.
I dont have that in to my 7.3...yet.

weird Bernhausen website says $4999 for 6.0 headgaskets and the quote they gave our foreman was $9500.

·
BROKE as a JOKE
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would take a Bullet proofed(head studs,erg cooler[aftermarket or delete], oil cooler) 6.0 over a 7.3 SD any day.

They make MORE power STOCK than a fully chipped OBS with supporting mods
And also are FASTER even though they average 1000lb MORE than the equivalent OBS
I'd do the 07 in a heartbeat. Much nicer trucks than early SD or obs trucks
thank you. between my own experience with 6.0s at work and what i've been told by diesel experts, im ready to make the jump.

besides, my truck is in good shape but it needs body and paint work and i'd probably dump 10 grand into the motor, fuel system, and transmission which at the end of the day, i'd still have a single cab truck.

think ill buy a 6.0 and build it...ill post pictures once im done.

any body want a F-250 with the D60 swap already done?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
get a 6.4 at least they are an improvement over the 7.3

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
I've been thinking about trading up to a newer truck in the next few years. I've been getting back bad oil samples on my '97 and after a compression test, I think I've got a broke or seized ring so I'm about to drop some more coin into the old girl. I love my truck, but it just seems like a never ending battle to keep the truck going. It's all the little things that keep popping up that are starting to wear on me. I've had two 6.0s in the past and saw the good and the bad side of that engine. One was an '05 and I had nothing but trouble out of it. I bought it used and the po did not treat it well at all. The second was an '06 and I put 120k completely trouble free miles on it before I had to sell it (if I could have kept it I would have). My thoughts are that if I could sell my obs while its still running, I might get 6-9k for it. I can get into a decent '07, or maybe '08-'09 for another 5-6k and have a nice truck, 10 years newer, with the same power I've got now. I'm pretty easy on trucks, so studs and deletes probably won't be an immediate expense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts