Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo,
I have a buyer for my Regular cab 1997 powerstroke with 82k on the clock. It’s in 10/10 shape, garage kept, and it’s been my baby for about three years.
Well, now my wife and I have an actual baby! She’s three months old and much cuter than my 97’. No room for all three in the regular cab though. Selling my mechanical baby in January for 16k.
This is my fourth OBS ford, first powerstroke and I loved it. Now I need something we can all ride in to go camping/hunting and pull a trailer...
So now I’m looking at a 1997 f 250 extended cab(SuperCab) with 66k on it. Mint condition.
Price is...uhhummm, 24000.
Manual transmission is a must for me, this one has it.
Am I crazy to pay this much!?
Not a big fan of the newer stuff.
Oh, and will my daughters child seat fit ok in the SuperCab?
Honest opinions wanted!!!!
Thanks!

·
Train Whistlin' Ex driver
55 Posts
Cost is all where you value it, for that money you could buy something newer, and you might be crazy for selling yours so cheap. But, having done the child seat dance you will grow tired of getting your daughter in and out of the middle of the second row, get a full crew cab.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
While you "can" put a carseat in the backseat, it's gonna be a pita. Even more so when you go to move to forward facing/booster seat.
The price you're paying. You could easily get a nice crew cab made in the last century....
I don't care that they're "low mileage," it's guaranteed you will still have to put money into it. That's still a 21 year old truck...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don’t think so at all. OBS trucks are no longer cheap, but only a select few can actually afford to maintain in perfect working condition an obs truck. If you have to pay someone to work on it, you probably shouldn’t own one. Low mileage or not, it’s still going to need bushings, bearings, belt, fluids, filters, sensors, window motors, etc....Id pay big $$$ for the body, paint, and interior. Buy it if you love it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
So if I do a rough and dirty on the math you’re into the “new ride” for $8-10k, (taxes in etc), on the surface seems like a pretty good deal to me. I’ve owned a couple regular cabs and a baby seat is problematic with a ZF5... remember those days. Have had a couple CCs when the family was growing and they by far are the best rig for doing everything with family. Now the kids are gone and momma has a VW Touareg TDi for comfort trips. I have my Tan truck for work and can say the EXtra Cab is better than a single cab by far, but the CC is for sure the best for doing all things. Miss my CC, so much handier with the second set of doors. My recommendation is if you can’t find an immaculate CC, buy the EXtra Cab and keep shopping for the CC.
j

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the responses are much appreciated!! I love my regular cab but it’s just too small for us. It’s a 10/10 condition and I paid 16k for it, did all the fluids throughout and put on new tires, and found a single older guy that is paying me 16k for it. It’s just a better fit for him. I am pretty handy at working on vehicles, especially all the maintenance related stuff, including these OBS Ford’s. Part of why I like them. My vehicles rarely see a mechanic, maybe twice in ten years have I taken a truck or car in for anything.
I am not looking to replace my truck ASAP, as camping and hunting season a ways off for me in Idaho and I have another truck around. I just happened upon this mint condition 97’ for sale and it’s everything I want, maybe it’s just not big enough for all of us.

The smart thing to do is wait for a crew cab to come up that has low mileage and the ZF5 I guess. A child seat in the extended cab sounds like it might be less than ideal for traveling.

Seems like the low mileage OBS Ford’s are coming out of the garages these days, maybe it’s because folks that are reaching their 70s and 80s are getting too old to travel with them?!
Crazy to see a 1997 with 50-80k miles but I’ve been seeing quite a few these days for sale.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wouldn’t even care about the mileage. You can get a good engine for 6-$10,000 installed. I’d care more about the paint, body, and interior. Can’t buy new door panels, never find a crew cab driver panel in perfect shape. I’ll take one with a great body, great interior, efuel, intercooled, hpoped, larger injectors, gauges, and 300,000 miles. Get a new longblock, swap over all the goodies, and go another 300,000 with modern truck power level.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
I actually try and stay away from the super low mile OBS's. The only thing I think of is the truck SAT for more than it was driven, and I'm a firm believer in things lasting longer when theyre constantly used (not necessarily abused though). When things sit, they just tend to age faster imo.

Not to mention who knows if the odometer hasn't been just flipped and it really has 200,000+.

On the extended cab topic, I have a crew cab, and 2 kids, with 2 car seats, and I couldn't imagine having a smaller cab. I can put both kids in the back and slide my front seat all the way back without hitting the car seat. Not very many trucks these days could do that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After much thought about this, I’m sure that I do not want an extended cab anymore. I owned a 94 f 150 extended cab a decade ago while it was just me, no wife or kid, and can remember how small that back “seat” really was. With the size of car seats these days, no way would it be practical. Kids have to ride in these things till they are damn near 10 years old now! Throw in some gear and a dog, maybe another kid, no way would this work for the long run.

Now thanks to some comments here, I am really liking the idea of finding a MUCH lower priced awesome shape crew cab, and running it till it needs major work. Then pull out the tired 7.3 take it to a professional builder and have them rebuild and install it. Meanwhile i could have myself a project to build the truck like i want, and still be under the 24k I was thinking of spending on this extended cab with low miles.
I really hate to get rid of my regular cab,i think I just really wanted to replace it ASAP with something comparable. Now i can see that it’s better to take my time and get a truck thats going to be what my family needs.

·
Registered
761 Posts
After much thought about this, I’m sure that I do not want an extended cab anymore. I owned a 94 f 150 extended cab a decade ago while it was just me, no wife or kid, and can remember how small that back “seat” really was. With the size of car seats these days, no way would it be practical. Kids have to ride in these things till they are damn near 10 years old now! Throw in some gear and a dog, maybe another kid, no way would this work for the long run.

Now thanks to some comments here, I am really liking the idea of finding a MUCH lower priced awesome shape crew cab, and running it till it needs major work. Then pull out the tired 7.3 take it to a professional builder and have them rebuild and install it. Meanwhile i could have myself a project to build the truck like i want, and still be under the 24k I was thinking of spending on this extended cab with low miles.
I really hate to get rid of my regular cab,i think I just really wanted to replace it ASAP with something comparable. Now i can see that it’s better to take my time and get a truck thats going to be what my family needs.
Took me 3 years saving & looking..before I found the Blue Bomber.
You will enjoy the CC. My purpose was to be able to haul the family and all the gear relative to destination.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crew cab would be best. I have 2 boys and they fit well in my extended cab. Not bad loading them either. Mine is a 97 with zf5 and ext cab sb. Been a very good truck. Had it almost 20 years. Baby swamp injectors ts chip my custom intake and guages 3 inch dp and gutted ebpv it doesnt lack power. 337 hp and 687tq to the ground. Crew cab might be a little easier with kids but i dont have a problem. 24000 is a bit steep. I was offered 12 for mine and turned it down in an instant. Their nice trucks. Mine also has a d60 i swapped in it which is desirable. A little rougher ride but its a truck and thats what trucks should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most crew cab short beds I’ve seen are 5spd. That’s what I would try to get into imo. Beautiful truck you can still get into a parking space

·
1,097 Posts
Not an OBS or low mileage but most unusual truck in the nation.

2000 F-350 SRW 4x2 Extra Cab 80 inch bed 6 speed with Gear Vendor 20% overdrive.

342,xxx miles all highway, never off-roaded or raced Always garage kept

MPG special, gets 26 MPG routinely, 28 MPG if you put a flat tonneau on it.

In you price range

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not an OBS or low mileage but most unusual truck in the nation.

2000 F-350 SRW 4x2 Extra Cab 80 inch bed 6 speed with Gear Vendor 20% overdrive.

342,xxx miles all highway, never off-roaded or raced Always garage kept

MPG special, gets 26 MPG routinely, 28 MPG if you put a flat tonneau on it.

In you price range
Not opposed to a 99-03 7.3, and I like the zf6 but I pretty much gotta have a 4x4 for what I do and where I live.
I am looking for a crew cab with the short bed 5 speed currently, 96-97 preferably.
BTW, I am seeing a lot of these low mileage OBS fords on ebay out of Portland OR.
The dealer who sells these has a shadyness about him on the phone and after further investigation looks to be somewhat of a crook. AJ motors is where he operates out of and it’s in Portland.
Seems like he is a buyer of these lower mileage old trucks and seeks them out, gets the sellers to sell them for probably what they are worth and then marks up the price big time on eBay.
Not interested in buying from this dealer at all anymore, especially after reading some BBB negative reviews.
The search continues...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not opposed to a 99-03 7.3, and I like the zf6 but I pretty much gotta have a 4x4 for what I do and where I live.
I am looking for a crew cab with the short bed 5 speed currently, 96-97 preferably.
BTW, I am seeing a lot of these low mileage OBS fords on ebay out of Portland OR.
The dealer who sells these has a shadyness about him on the phone and after further investigation looks to be somewhat of a crook. AJ motors is where he operates out of and it’s in Portland.
Seems like he is a buyer of these lower mileage old trucks and seeks them out, gets the sellers to sell them for probably what they are worth and then marks up the price big time on eBay.
Not interested in buying from this dealer at all anymore, especially after reading some BBB negative reviews.
The search continues...
https://www.diesel-deals.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
The search continues...
That's nuts man, I very nearly bought a truck from that same seller at the beginning of the year, but couldn't justify buying a truck sight unseen all the way across the country for that much money. At the time I couldn't find any bad stuff about the seller, now I glad I didn't bother with him! Those BBB reviews are very eye opening. :surprise:

·
Registered
600 Posts
The OBS trucks are old enough that they need basically ......everything. To take the “average” obs truck and make it “decent to nice”, by no means a show vehicle, it takes $20,000+. Now add in the purchase price to that and see where you are. A decent quality paint job on a crew cab costs $4500-$7500 alone. The newer trucks are cheaper to own.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
The OBS trucks are old enough that they need basically ......everything. To take the “average” obs truck and make it “decent to nice”, by no means a show vehicle, it takes $20,000+. Now add in the purchase price to that and see where you are. A decent quality paint job on a crew cab costs $4500-$7500 alone. The newer trucks are cheaper to own.
This ^ is the truth. I'm into mine atleast $20,000 over the last 4 years, and I haven't even painted mine. New motor, trans, flatbed, 4x4 conversion, etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep, people let their trucks get nasty. Why? I have no clue. Dash bezel is flopping around, tank selector button is broke loose, ash tray slide is broke off, door panel clips are missing, door panel pockets are pulling away, window switch bezel is cracked, dash pad is split, speakers are blown, headliner is drooping, window motors are shot, doors sag, carpet is filthy.......I could go on and on. That’s the disgusting norm it seems. Yep, they are cheap if you want to live with that wreck of filth. Make em look and work like new and see how much $$$ it costs.

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
I actually try and stay away from the super low mile OBS's. The only thing I think of is the truck SAT for more than it was driven, and I'm a firm believer in things lasting longer when theyre constantly used (not necessarily abused though). When things sit, they just tend to age faster imo.

Not to mention who knows if the odometer hasn't been just flipped and it really has 200,000+.

On the extended cab topic, I have a crew cab, and 2 kids, with 2 car seats, and I couldn't imagine having a smaller cab. I can put both kids in the back and slide my front seat all the way back without hitting the car seat. Not very many trucks these days could do that!
I sure appreciate this. I have been laughed out and ousted on another forum for firmly believing in this through observation and personal experience. I think the term "well oiled machine" applies here in many ways. Show me a 7.3 that is "cherry" with less than 100,000 miles vs. a well-maintained rig with 200,000 and I'll take the latter EVERY DAY.

OP, YES, that is entirely roo much for one of these trucks. I wouldn't pay more than $15k for an SD or an OBS with a 7.3.....JMO

1 - 20 of 61 Posts