Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 7.3 psd trucks for 12 years and idi's before that. I have a 97 ccsb psd that has just turned into a big toy/project so I am looking for newer truck to use for day to day things. I can not find a 7.3 that has not been beat or they want twice as much as the same truck with a 6.0, so I have been looking at 6.0 trucks. I have found a few that I am interested in 2 are 2004 trucks with 170-180 on them, and a 06 with 220,000 on it. Are the early trucks really any worse than the later truck? All trucks are 100% stock

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know much about the difference between the 03 and 04 and the 05-07s but I do know the turbos are different and there are a couple other things. My buddy has and 05 and I have an 04 and neither of us have had any big issues besides the EGR which we just deleted. I've had two 7.3s and two 6.0s, all were good trucks. I know this wasn't what you were looking for but hopefully it helps a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
well IMO the 05s & up have a better looking front end so id go with the 06. it does have more miles but still. as for problems go i have seen & heard that the 04.5 6.0s tend to have slightly more problems cause they "worked out" the bugs in the later models. honestly though, just be prepared to put some money into whatever 6.0 you decide to buy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mind doing some work, I can never leave a truck alone anyway. I do like the 05 and later front ends, coil springs, and dash better. If it were a 7.3 I would not think twice about a 220,000 mile truck, but do miles mean as much on the 6.0 either. Seems I see guys here with less than 100,000 with nothing but problems, and guys with 200+ that have done egr and that's it.
-Kyle

·
Resident Idiot
661 Posts
I currently have a 2001 7.3, but I had a 2003 6.0 before. I do like my 7.3 but I am not going to lie, I really still miss my 6.0. With the turbos that were on the 03's and my open exhaust the turbo sounded so awesome just sitting idling in the mourning's. My '03 did have a lot more get up and go. I think probably some to do with the lack of turbo lag. I do like the interior of the newer models though. From what I understand the '03 and '04 had less high pressure oil leak problems but a less reliable pump than the later models. We have an 07 at work and never had any issues. It is a very well maintained truck but still no issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
6.0s are just as good as the 7.3s from what I hear once you get the problems worked out. The major problems youll have is the EGR and injectors. You shouldn't have to do head studs if your not going to chip it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts