Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99.5 f250 7.3, with 170k on her. bought her off of an old man who had her since new. truck is in really nice shape, transmission seems to be in pretty good condition. Question is, I want to do a chip, most likely going with Tony Wildman or DP tuner. One of my friends put a DP on his 95 7.3 and destroyed his transmission. He keeps telling me to build my tranny before or at the same time as when I chip it. Though, I've been reading on here and powerstroke.org that a lot of people say if you get a generic chip (edge etc..) than you will have tranny problems for sure, but if you get a custom tuned chip (TW or DP) it won't be as bad. Also if I get the necessary gauges and moniter the tranny temp and what not it should be okay.

Whats everyones opinion on this?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
If your just looking at a chip, then you can get buy with an upgraded Valve Body and be fine. Ya might give Matt Robinson with Gearhead Automotive a try. His chips are well liked around here. His screen name is mattr66. My trans lived fine with his tuning.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
I have had my DP-Tuner chip for over three years with no transmision problems what-so-ever. I do have a BTS valve body which has helped.

A good custom chip should not trash your transmission.

Trans temps should be ~80° over ambient air temps with a stock trans cooler.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Strongly consider PHP for your tunes.

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
My votes for Tony wildman..get one of his chips and some gauges and you will be fine. just watch your pyro...thats what will get you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is the transmission going to cost any more to get built or replace whether you do it now or wait until it fails?

Get all the life that you can out of this one and upgrade when necessary.

You really could use the wait and see attitude with this ... it will last as long as it lasts. You could put in a shift kit to get a little more life from it.

·
Stroken
4 Posts
I hear the bad talk about edge. Im not so sure i agree. I have been using edge, and love them. Never had a problem. In fact, I have one on my excursion and bought one for my plow truck. It is up for sale if interested. Asking $425.00 OBO with 2 pods. The only reason I am selling is because Im not plowing. Took a job in Vegas and am moving. I like the edge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah the tony wildman is an amazing chip to buy, iv also ran edge and there pretty good but the wildman chip is the best. just a pyro gauge and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Custom tuned chip, intake, exhaust work, gauges, Valve body,

Should give you no problems at all

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Custom tuned chip, intake, exhaust work, gauges, Valve body,

Should give you no problems at all
thats exactly what i'm aiming for.

i have a straight pipe right now, intake is next. after i save up a little more money guages are coming (pyro, boost and trans temp). after that im going to save for the TW and the valve body.. and that should all hold me over for quite awhile.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
instead of buying a valve body you could always get a trans go shift kit and do it yourself, they cost around $50 bucks at racer x.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
all the tuners mentioned are great,
di, dp, php,tw and gearhead all modify the shifting stratagy some.
but remember adding hp and torque on a stock tranny is risky.
a valvebody such as itp's woods or brian's truck stop..aka bts are great as are racerx's...step up the injectors and turbo and you'll need a better tc or a whole modded tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts