Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still not sure how I want to go about it. I'm looking to gain a little more info about how good this is on a DD, and if anyone has had any problems with leakage.

I also need to figure out parts.

I'm thinking 3/4 or 1", still not sure on that...

And where do I get the right washers and teflon gaskets?

Anyone done this lately?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I would try it, but that's because I never run my truck under 1/4 tank of fuel. Just put it towards the rear. And go 1" if you can. I don't see a problem with doing it.

Or since you already have the fittings, just make your own 5/8" draw straw....

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only worry about a draw straw is taxing the pump that much. I'll still be running a stock pump for a little while.

If the bulkhead requires more than a 1/4 tank at all times, I'll just save up for a sump. I live in the boonies. Plus my wife drives my truck a lot.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
I have a 5/8" draw straw and I made every pull and drag race last year with less then a 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But you have an aftermarket pump. I'm just worried that a large diameter piece of tubing is going to be that much more for my stock pump to pull up from the fuel level to the pump.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about cutting the excess off of the metal, so that the bulkhead is just barely above the bottom of the tank? Or how about installing the bulkhead, then running a piece of 1" tubing to the back middle of the tank on the inside? And have it sitting on the bottom?

Just crazy ideas. If fuel hose OK to submerge in diesel?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
run the bulkhead in the side of the tank(watch out for the driveshaft), attach a piece of hose with something on the other end to weight it down so it dont float, get a piece of foam thats wide as the tank and cut a slice in it so that the hose will go through it and place it about half way up the hose.

The foam will help reduce slosh and 1/4 issues shouldnt be a problem.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I looked at those the other day...

Not sure how I would mount that....
Yea now that I go back and look at some old pics, I dont know that there is a flat area big enough on the bottom of our tanks to mount something like that. Especially since you have a short bed.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Noone thinks this one would be good? Picks up from the back of the tank and everything... Might be a little small, but I could make one from 3/4.
I think it will work. But make it as short as possible. The pumps like to push more than they like to suck. I doubt there will be a need for anything bigger than what you have in the picture.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not going to be sucking through the length of that hose. That's the beauty of it. It's all gravity fed below the fuel level.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
What on earth are you trying to accomplish?

If it's the factory pickup you are trying to get rid of because of the mixer, why not just cut it in the tank, use a compressional union and then send a tube straight down. Then send the return off to the side with a peice of fuel hose and call it a day.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want a pickup...

I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish. I was just looking at options. Cheap alternatives.....

That work...

A sump IMO would be best. A bulkhead would be second best...

The benefit of what I just built would be that it would be LIKE a bulkhead, but it would pull from the back of the tank, and I would be able to use all of my available fuel... Kinda like a sump.

What is the point of a sump or bulkhead? Remove air? And less fuel weight being pulled up by the pump. Correct?

A draw straw is pulling fuel less restricted than a stock pickup, but the larger the diameter, the more resistance.

Go stick a McDonalds straw into a cup and suck. Then stick a piece of 1" tubing into the same cup and suck. I know sucking it won't be a problem for you, but imagine it's someone who doesn't do it hourly.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
I don't want a pickup...

I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish. I was just looking at options. Cheap alternatives.....

That work...

A sump IMO would be best. A bulkhead would be second best...

The benefit of what I just built would be that it would be LIKE a bulkhead, but it would pull from the back of the tank, and I would be able to use all of my available fuel... Kinda like a sump.

What is the point of a sump or bulkhead? Remove air? And less fuel weight being pulled up by the pump. Correct?

A draw straw is pulling fuel less restricted than a stock pickup, but the larger the diameter, the more resistance.

Go stick a McDonalds straw into a cup and suck. Then stick a piece of 1" tubing into the same cup and suck. I know sucking it won't be a problem for you, but imagine it's someone who doesn't do it hourly.
Where are you planning on putting the "bulkhead" and how are you installing it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts