Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about trading my truck in on a 6.4. i have had no issues with my 6.0 i got it bullet proofed when i bought it. im just looking for more balls. i cant decide if i should keep putting money in my 6.0 or if i should just get a 6.4? i know there's lot of thereds on reliability between the two but nothing about what will make the most power or if there's even much of a difference with heavy mods between the two? this will decide weather i buy injectors and bigger turbo or get a 6.4

·
Registered
922 Posts
im in the same delema. if i dont have to worry about head studs and stuff then id do it but from what ive read its a toss up on weather the gaskets will hold or not and i dont have the money to do the studs on a 6.4

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying 6.4s have head problems too?

·
Registered
922 Posts
yep! been snooping around the 6.4 forum and ive seen it a few times

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guess im better off getting 190/100% sticks and a 66/71/88 turbo? idk what to do thats a down payment one a new one:confused:

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
6.4's are just as prone to failures as 6.0's same crap ford gold coolant clogging oil coolers in turn blowing up TWO egr coolers, etc etc.... just refined

the money you would spend on the difference you can have a 550hp truck. sure it takes more to get there on a 6.0 but its just as fun of a truck, the 6.4 costs more than a 6L to modify as well.

190/100's, a 66/71/70 and a trans will get you into the 12's and the 600hp range if you play your cards right.

an open.88 housing is way too large of an exhaust housing for a 6 liter.. they need tight housings.

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6.4's are just as prone to failures as 6.0's same crap ford gold coolant clogging oil coolers in turn blowing up TWO egr coolers, etc etc.... just refined

the money you would spend on the difference you can have a 550hp truck. sure it takes more to get there on a 6.0 but its just as fun of a truck, the 6.4 costs more than a 6L to modify as well.

190/100's, a 66/71/70 and a trans will get you into the 12's and the 600hp range if you play your cards right.

an open.88 housing is way too large of an exhaust housing for a 6 liter.. they need tight housings.
can you explain more on the need for a tight housing? even with a diverter?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
6.0's dont like to spool large fixed chargers, so they need a tight exhaust housing (.70 ar)to spin the turbine wheel. Large housings (.80, .88, .90 . 1.0) etc have too much space in the housing that fills with exhaust gases until it spins the turbine (lag). The 6.0 doesn't produce enough back pressure to fill that large housings space quick enough.

A divided housing is where the exhaust housing is split into two passages internally. This disperses equal air to either side, which also helps in spoolup compared to an open housing

The diverter valve is designed for a divided housing. The valve in the diverter valve shuts off the flow to one side of the exhaust housing flowing more volume and less time aiding in spoolup and opens as a desired PSI to flow max volume.

a 66/71 with a .70 or even a .80 divided housing a diverter valve would spool super fast and flow a ton of air.

Hope this helps, and If there is anything wrong with this response someone please correct me if im wrong

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great explaination! would you stay with the 66/71/80 with 205/100's? and can you get higher flowing nozzles than 100% on a 6.0? i will be doing these mods in jan. im trying to figure out what i want without bugging holderdown with questions. i want to use the largest body injectors without draning the HPOP.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Stick with the 6.0. A 6.4 is nice because you can get 500+hp with just a tune but think of all the extra money you will spend on the truck itself. You can spend the same and get your 6.0 to be that fast anyway.

Also do some research on 6.4's. They don't seem to break as much as 6.0's but when they do it cost 2 or 3 times more to fix.

·
Registered
922 Posts
if i could afford the repairs on a 6.4 i would do it but its just to risky being that who knows if you get a good one or not. if i had the money for a 6.7 id buy it in a heartbeat those things seem to be pretty sout here lately ive only seen a few with problems but they were easy under warranty stuff and they have tons of power stock!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hmmm... Been wondering the same thing lately. I have the money to do the mods I want for the 6.0l and it has been a great truck but was also looking at the 6.4l. I think I'm just going to keep my 6.0. Maybe one day I can afford a 60k truck with a nice 6.7.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh nice. Thought so but wasn't 100%. Hmmm why dont we read story's like this all the time? I mean doesn't cummins/Duramax use the same pump? No discredit to the guy with the 6.7. (yes I read the whole thread on both sites)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would go to the 6.4 everytime. Both engines need headstuds, both need egr deletes, both need exhaust and both need timers. So that is all a wash. In the end you end up with a 550 table truck compared to a 400 HP truck. You end up with a nicer riding truck with the newer body style that will have a better resale value. You drive a done up 6.4 and you won't even think of keeping your 6.0.

·
Registered
922 Posts
yea but i already have studs and what not in my 6.0 so why would i wanna trade and do that all over again?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You are getting a better newer truck and it will make more useable power then you will ever be able to get out of your 6.0. It may cost a little more now to trade up but in the end it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
yea i just dont have the money to upgrade another truck right now and i cant afford the down time. i do see your point but im also a broke college kid that travels back home every other weekend to haul and work to keep the family business going so its hard when the truck is down and money is tight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts