Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To live in on the road, I am tired of pissing money away at the hotels when I could be buying something.

I get 75 bucks a day to live on out here, that is for hotel and food, well ****, three days of that is a small trailer payment, and a weeks worth is a damn nice trailer.

I dont want to spend 30k on something, but in the area of 15k max... Just found one here in Prescott that is nice for 7700, and I could offer less I am sure, then I found this one back home in Bend...

Clean & Pretty Jayco 5th Wheel

more my style too... Anyone living on the road in these things? Whats a RV space go for a month??? Nice ones?

·
<---- my shop
1,297 Posts
i used to live in mine for 3 or 4 months out of the year in the summer when workin with my grandfather on the west coast. Not to bad but it is simple livin. no long half hour showers or anything but mine is a 28' and had plenty of room for me. Make sure it has a washer and dryer though...... will be much easier than going to laundrymat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jayco looks nice. rear kitchens tend to "displace" contents tho. center kitchens, over axles, not as bad. good luck.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
jayco looks nice. rear kitchens tend to "displace" contents tho. center kitchens, over axles, not as bad. good luck.
:whs:

Dad had nothing but trouble with our first 5th wheel with the rear kitchen. Always bouncing stuff around and knocking doors open and sometimes cruching said open doors in the slideouts if no one checked before pushing them out :doh:

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I think it'd be a good investment given your situation. Considering you'll be able to keep it after your done living out of it for work.
I'd look for something somewhat light and menuverable/self sufficiant if you don't know where your work is going to take you.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it'd be a good investment given your situation. Considering you'll be able to keep it after your done living out of it for work.
I'd look for something somewhat light and menuverable/self sufficiant if you don't know where your work is going to take you.

Work is always retail construction, so there is always a park or something nearby...

This is what I am thinking, at least when a year is up I have something to show for the free money, hotel I cant even write off!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
To live in on the road, I am tired of pissing money away at the hotels when I could be buying something.

I get 75 bucks a day to live on out here, that is for hotel and food, well ****, three days of that is a small trailer payment, and a weeks worth is a damn nice trailer.

I dont want to spend 30k on something, but in the area of 15k max... Just found one here in Prescott that is nice for 7700, and I could offer less I am sure, then I found this one back home in Bend...

Clean & Pretty Jayco 5th Wheel

more my style too... Anyone living on the road in these things? Whats a RV space go for a month??? Nice ones?
If you are in Prescott check out cl in Phx. There are a lot of smokin deals now with the economy the way it is. I bought this one 2 yrs ago for $19k

It's heavy but has a walk around br and a superslide with dinette and full size sleeper sofa, a 10' garage if you have a bike or buggie. Onan gen and a 30 gal fuel station. It's 37' so you have 27' living with the slide. Also a glass corner shower and stainless appliances. All real maple wood and tons of closet space. Good luck with your search. Don't get in trouble on whisky row.

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Hell yeah, get one. Sure would beat living in a hotel!

I wish it was warmer here in Ohio in the winter time, I'd probably pick one up and live in it year round, until I'm ready to buy a house in 2-3 years. I'm sick of living at home, but I also don't want to throw money away renting.

Snag one up! There are plenty of deals, especially if you don't mind driving a short distance.

·
Colorado PowerStroke Club
1,207 Posts
We have a 35' Titanium 5th wheel, and love it. It has the rear kitchen, with double slides in the main living area, which gives us so much room. I don't have any more problems with stuff moving around back there than I did in our old 5th wheel. I like the rear kitchen, because it gives you more living room.

We pretty much live in ours every weekend in the summertime (at the lake).

It sounds like it would be worth it to you to get one. If you are going to be anywhere cold, you might think about a four seasons camper. Our's is a four seasons camper, it stays cooler in the summer and much warmer in the winter. Also look for one that has an upgraded (larger) fridge. I love my big fridge. :D
We do have a closet that is all plumbed for a washer and dryer, but we don't have them. We just use it as extra closet space for the kids.
A regular shower is also a plus over a bathtub in my opinion.
Also, plan on a new mattress, as the ones that come in even the nicer campers usually suck. You will want to be able to sleep well.

Good luck! Should be lots of choices out there.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
diesel and nothing else
1,620 Posts
that sounds like a good deal, just check for water inside and out.
Also check the front for damadge on the corners, the seals can be tricky with older models.
I'm looking myself for one and after tons and months of research i found out that the titanium and montana are some of the best campers you can get.
If you need more info let me know i'll be glad to help.
Frank

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
my wfe and i live out of our fifth wheel about 350 days a year. i travel for exstensive periods,3+ months or 2yrs at the longest so far.
my two cents on the trailers...before you buy it,step into the shower and "TRY IT OUT". with your clothes on ofcourse. thats my only complaint with ours. im 235 pds of ******* and the shower was built for girl scouts.
the rear kitchens are not bad if you pack em up right,and use your head a little before flying off at 75 mph's. TIP #2--those little velcro straps that you use to roll up your camping stuff. get a couple boxes of em. then stuff a pillow into the cabinet with all the breakable stuff,close it and velcro strap the handles. cant fly open then and your stuff dont fly around inside.
we have lots of little odds n ends stuff (read as SHE does ). in this case,those pesky little totes from walmart fir into nearly every crevice of my trailer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think someone will be getting kicked out here soon

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
hope so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anything by Newmar is A+, but expensive. In your price range, I'd try to avoid anything with a motorized bump out. From personal research Jayco seems to have a love/hate following. I've never cared for them and don't give them any creed for the Amish built fader. Heartland or Coachman might have something that would interest you.

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
i do like the Coachmens. thats what ours is.its the Catalina Lite model. well built and fairly inexspensive to buy/operate. ours is by no means a palace on wheels,but it looks good and keeps our butts dry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts