Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my wife wants an excursion now. apparently, i am not dumping enough $$ into the stooperdupey! anyway, she has a jeep commander now and wants more room.

can anybody tell me if there is more/less room in the 2nd row seats than in my 99 f250?

what about wife's impressions? any female input would be appreciated on this. ease (or lack thereof) of parking?

driveability?

blindspots?

parking troubles?

we are looking at a limited.. are these the only ones with adjustable pedals? that option is a must for my wife. she is only 5' tall. :D

also, please add anything i may have missed. owners know WAY more than prospectors!

thanks a bunch guys (and gals)!

:ford:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I owned a limited... its got more room in the second row than SD especially if you have the cap'n seats in the back. my MOM had one too and sold it and wants another.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, good to know! she thinks my SD has plenty of room, but her jeep is a litle tight in the back. did your mom have any issues parking or driving? this little jeep can whip in and out of parking spaces, and she can park the CC SD ok. just wanna make sure its not too much tougher than my truck. ;)

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, she will like that! thnks again :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are you looking for a 7.3 or 6.0? The Eddie Bauers have adjustable pedals aswell. I'm not positive about the second row leg room vs a crew cab. I have rear captians in my X so I going to go home and measure the difference, to me it seems like the X had less than the crew cabs. I might be wrong so I'll measure it tonight and see.

The X appears to be as long as a Reg cab long box F250-350, so my wife has not complained about parking.

If you buy one, get with a member named OBSWIZ on fixing the stock suspension, because they handle like crap compared to your truck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am watching this post my soon to be wife wants one to. And she wants me to do all the mods that i have done to my sd when i get it $$$$$ .

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you looking for a 7.3 or 6.0? The Eddie Bauers have adjustable pedals aswell. I'm not positive about the second row leg room vs a crew cab. I have rear captians in my X so I going to go home and measure the difference, to me it seems like the X had less than the crew cabs. I might be wrong so I'll measure it tonight and see.

The X appears to be as long as a Reg cab long box F250-350, so my wife has not complained about parking.

If you buy one, get with a member named OBSWIZ on fixing the stock suspension, because they handle like crap compared to your truck.
really want a 7.3, but i have found some good deals on 6.0s. ya, i read about OBSWIZ's suspension upgrade. will definitely check into that. the one we were really liking was a 7.3 and it just sold. still shoppin, but it looks pretty fo' sho'.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, just found an 05 4x4 for 15k. i would really prefer a 7.3, but this is a pretty good deal and it has grey interior, which is almost a must for the wife. what do yall really think of the 6.0? the only upgrades to her ride would be intake, exhaust, and chip. not getting crazy with hers! :eek:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ok, just found an 05 4x4 for 15k. i would really prefer a 7.3, but this is a pretty good deal and it has grey interior, which is almost a must for the wife. what do yall really think of the 6.0? the only upgrades to her ride would be intake, exhaust, and chip. not getting crazy with hers! :eek:
for 15k i would jump on that deal... but if you really want it to be a problem free Ex get the headstuds and egr delete as well....

-Raul

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for 15k i would jump on that deal... but if you really want it to be a problem free Ex get the headstuds and egr delete as well....

-Raul
EGR delete.. forgot about that one. what kind of difference does it make? never really had much experience on the sublect. my e99 is the newest diesel i have worked on.

are the headstuds the major source of trouble for the 6.0? i know there were just a few things that really gave them a bad rep. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
EGR delete.. forgot about that one. what kind of difference does it make? never really had much experience on the sublect. my e99 is the newest diesel i have worked on.

are the headstuds the major source of trouble for the 6.0? i know there were just a few things that really gave them a bad rep. thanks for the input!
yes... its one of the worst parts... the EGR delete wont make any power diff.. its just a reliability issue...

when i was looking for an Ex i was also looking for 6.0L but didnt find one in the price range i wanted one at.. but if i would have found one the headstuds and EGR delete would of been one of my first mods on it...

better safe than sorry...

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, thanks.

ok.. another question. is the suspension setup the same for a 2000 EX and my 99 SD? i found a 2000 EX.. black with grey leather just like jenny wants, but it has a lift and big tires. could i swap them to mine and give her my stock suspension? just a crazy thought...

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, just answered my own question about the suspension swap. i still couldnt find anything on the modded b code. what is the mod? i can worry about that if we end up getting one. are any of yall really short? haha.. not makin fun, but my wife is only 5'. the 05 we found does not have adj. pedals and she think she really neeeds them. (probably true) when she drive my SD, she has the seat all the way up and feels that is unsafe.

·
reluctant ford fan
127 Posts
I think some of the other posts covered this but to reiterate the X is the same wheelbase as the std cab long bed, so shorter than any extended or crew cab truck. Still not easy to park though! :D There is plenty of room in the second and third row seats.

Opinions vary on the 6 leaker, but mine is that it either needs a good warranty or a long list of mods including studs, head/block machining (if not already flat), EGR delete, oil cooler relocate (deleting stock unit), cylinder head coolant circulation lines, updated late model hardened valve seats, and your favorite performance upgrades (air/fuel/tuning/intercooler/etc). Mine's got all that plus oring heads, moderate tuning, and a Hughes billet converter and deep pan. I like the way it runs and am keeping my fingers crossed for reliability in the long term.

Stock suspension definitely needs a complete overhaul, even if you're not going to lift it.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brian.. thanks for the input. i have read most all of the threads on excursions and didnt find anything about the length of the wheelbase. i surely could have missed it though! as for the 6 leaker, i kinda figured it needed some work to be reliable, but that's a lot! anyway, going shopping in person tomorrow. got 2 to look at in particular.. the white 05 and a black 01. both are the same price, but the o1 has leather and lift and wheels. if i get the 01, gonna try to swap the suspension on my truck.. or mabe just get a good lift for the truck and donate my springs to the EX. more info tomorrow!

:ford:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
My wife is 5'4" and she loves the X. Has no issues driving it even without adjustable pedal. I took it up to NY city and had no real issue parking it in tight parallel spots. Blind spots to the rear are when in reverse but not much of an issue for parking as the sensors take care of letting you know. You could also put a back up camera in if it works better for her. Front and to the sides nothing with properly adjusted mirror.

I would go with a 7.3 if at all possible unless you can find a 6.0 with a perfect history report. You must get that!!!!

The very first thing I would do the second I get it. Swap out the front and rear springs for the V code front and B codes (modded) along with some Blisten shocks valved fore the X from CT performance ( Cary / OBSWIZ screenname). If the model does not have it add a rear SD sway bar from the salvage yard.

Now you have a great base to start from. It will handle well and carry a load properly. Your wife will tank you. As this will be her ride you need to get the limited edition at a min as she needs the running boards. Unless you plan to get the AMP or other aftermarket step.

Make sure to remove the cross bars on the roof rack as you will not use them anyways and they wear the paint off the roof. Basically worthless.

There a bunch of great small mods you can do little at a time that will that make a dif. One that is so basic yet makes huge dif in bad weather. Changing the front to 24s and the back to 18 if IIRC. Now it cleans almsot the whole windshield and has no overhang.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife is 5'4" and she loves the X. Has no issues driving it even without adjustable pedal. I took it up to NY city and had no real issue parking it in tight parallel spots. Blind spots to the rear are when in reverse but not much of an issue for parking as the sensors take care of letting you know. You could also put a back up camera in if it works better for her. Front and to the sides nothing with properly adjusted mirror.

I would go with a 7.3 if at all possible unless you can find a 6.0 with a perfect history report. You must get that!!!!

The very first thing I would do the second I get it. Swap out the front and rear springs for the V code front and B codes (modded) along with some Blisten shocks valved fore the X from CT performance ( Cary / OBSWIZ screenname). If the model does not have it add a rear SD sway bar from the salvage yard.

Now you have a great base to start from. It will handle well and carry a load properly. Your wife will tank you. As this will be her ride you need to get the limited edition at a min as she needs the running boards. Unless you plan to get the AMP or other aftermarket step.

Make sure to remove the cross bars on the roof rack as you will not use them anyways and they wear the paint off the roof. Basically worthless.

There a bunch of great small mods you can do little at a time that will that make a dif. One that is so basic yet makes huge dif in bad weather. Changing the front to 24s and the back to 18 if IIRC. Now it cleans almsot the whole windshield and has no overhang.
wow, ok! that was pretty uch everything i was looking for. :D the only reason i am even considering a 6leaker is that i found such a good deal on this one.

Champion Houston Ford 2005_Ford_Excursion

now, wheni get there, it may be a whole other story.. but it sure does look good. all the ones i have looked at have running boards, figured that was a must. if not, she will get mine or some aftermarket. the 7.3 i have found looks like it was owned by a kid, and is not in as good of shape. also, it has a lift.. which jenny does not want. we have a 16 month old that jenny has to lug in and out of the truck all the time. lifts just make it worse. LOL i am going to pm obswiz if i get an X so we can get the suspension right.. fo sho! thanks again for all yalls help!! :redspotdance:

·
Still learning
577 Posts
I think some of the other posts covered this but to reiterate the X is the same wheelbase as the std cab long bed, so shorter than any extended or crew cab truck. Still not easy to park though! :D There is plenty of room in the second and third row seats.

Opinions vary on the 6 leaker, but mine is that it either needs a good warranty or a long list of mods including studs, head/block machining (if not already flat), EGR delete, oil cooler relocate (deleting stock unit), cylinder head coolant circulation lines, updated late model hardened valve seats, and your favorite performance upgrades (air/fuel/tuning/intercooler/etc). Mine's got all that plus oring heads, moderate tuning, and a Hughes billet converter and deep pan. I like the way it runs and am keeping my fingers crossed for reliability in the long term.

Stock suspension definitely needs a complete overhaul, even if you're not going to lift it.
IMO all those are not really necessary unless you just want to or want to make big power. If you get a good shop to do the studs then they will make sure the heads are flat before they clamp everything down. But just with intake/exhaust/tuner i dont see the need in the highlighted stuff above. Good luck on the search

·
reluctant ford fan
127 Posts
When things start going bad with a 6 leaker, one thing leads to another and soon you have a big pile of junk. Heat is a real enemy of this motor. My truck had the usual intake/exhaust/tuner and managed to completely destroy a set of heads, among other things. I stopped counting the cracks in the heads (mostly around the seats) when I ran out of fingers! :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts